12 weeks post-op and questions for those with no ovaries/no HRT | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

12 weeks post-op and questions for those with no ovaries/no HRT 12 weeks post-op and questions for those with no ovaries/no HRT

Unread 11-11-2008, 04:03 PM
12 weeks post-op and questions for those with no ovaries/no HRT

Hi sisters, Iam 12 weeks post op and read a web site a syster had suggested(HERS) and it scared me so bad because I had my ovaries removed along with everything and now it is too late to change things . So today I had a appointment with my primary doctor who is also my cardilogist and I told him about all my concerns having a TAH/BSO and the chance of having a hiigher risk of heart disease and other health issues and he tried to reasure me that I don't have a higher risk than anyone else who is going thru menopause naturally ........he says women with or without ovaries who go thru menopause have the same risks and i need to try to keep my weight in control and watch the cholestrol and blood pressure he says can naturall elevate some in menopause......I don't know if Iam totally convinced but would like to hear of others who have no ovaries and no hrt and are healthy or even if you have problems .....I know my anxiety level is high right now.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2008, 04:58 PM
that darned alarmist HERS website

Hi. I discovered that website weeks before my Oct. 16 hysterectomy (with other repairs), and it started to scare me, too, until I realized that it's rather extreme, and should be taken with a huge boulder of salt. I couldn't even figure out who is behind that website, which contributed to my not trusting it. I have no regrets about having had my surgery, because I know I needed it. Relax. Thousands of women have had hysterectomies and their lives are greatly improved. You will be fine!
Unread 11-11-2008, 05:13 PM

I do not take any HRT I had everything removed, and I never felt better. I am excersicing more and doing things I could not do before. I wouldnt listen to or read anything negative. I am a strong believer that things really are mind over matter. And if you start to think bad you will feel bad. Life really is what you make it. So just relax and enjoy your new life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2008, 05:19 AM

Your doctor has given you excellent advice about watching your weight so that you do not acquire high blood pressure or risks for other diseases. I was post menopausal when I had my hysterectomy, and my ovaries were removed. I cannot do HRT, and I have been doing fine. I have had a few mild menopausal symptoms but they have gone or are going away. Exercise, as much as I HATE EXERCISE, really helps to give you an overall feeling of wellness.
Unread 11-12-2008, 11:43 AM

Hi, I did HRT for 5 years prior to my hyst.,(Mirena coil and Estradiol Gel, I live in UK so the gel may be called something different in the US) I tried them for the heavy bleeding I was having to avoid a hyst. at that time. I am now 55 and had my hyst. last April at 54 years old. I was already beginning the menopause when I had the coil inserted and really only noticed hot flushes.
I have no ovaries or anything left in fact and have no wish to use HRT as I feel for me the side effects were too much. I suffered extreme mood swings,my migraines were worse and still had hot flushes only milder ones.
I personally do not feel any worse now for not taking it exept the hot flushes are more intense but I can live with those for a while!I have no mood swings now at all, I do have anxiety feelings but they are slowly going and in general don't feel having walked both paths (HRT or none) that I would not consider HRT worth the risks involved. In fact I really wish I'd just gone for the hyst. then and had never taken it, I went on to develop a massive ovarian cyst (never had gynae. problems before other than the unexplained heavy bleeding) don't know whether the cyst was caused by HRT or not but do realise that watching weight levels,exercise and and a sense of good self esteem (which I am working on!) are all that I need now to get my life back in tow. I tried to get onto the HERS website but couldn't for some reason but will try again later, not sure that I really want to though!!Best wishes to you, follow your heart with this issue and you will come to the right decision for you, everyone is different but I'm going to go it alone with regards to the HRT.
Unread 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM

I am 5 months post op today, I no longer have ovaries and do not take HRT,(my choice). In 5 months I have lost 27 pounds, my cholesterol went from 240 to 170, my blood pressure is down, I take calcium for bones,(dexa scan) was good. Basically I used this as a wake up call for good health. I hate excercising, but now I do. I am trying everthing to keep my self healthy. And I do feel better since surgery, and feeling good has made a big difference in my overall health. I now feel like wearing makeup, and since I lost weight (went from size 18 to size 12), I feel younger and more energized.
Unread 11-12-2008, 01:58 PM

thanks so much systers I hope I continue to hear good things from more ...it is like good medicine to hear from others going thru or having gone thru with these decision...on Hrt and no HRt and etc....I really want to start exercising by walking for a starter....along with healthier eating....
Unread 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM

that site is funded by trial lawyers - obviously they have their own motives
trust hystersisters
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:20 PM

That's right, Voo. If you take a careful look you'll see that they are trying to get women who are interested in launching malpractice suits.

I had a TAH-BSO in April and haven't taken anything except soy, with absolutley no symptoms of menopause.
Unread 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM

sandcastle ...what form do you take soy ? Like soy milk or tablets ? I have read a lot about soy being good for you when your in menopause. thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register