One week post-op and constantly cold | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One week post-op and constantly cold One week post-op and constantly cold

Unread 12-12-2008, 08:14 PM
A week in....

It's been a week since I had everything removed. I've been home 5 days. I'm constantly cold. I can't seem to get warm. At night I'm so cold my husband wraps me in blankets and then holds me. Don't know what's with that. My eyesight seems fine (so far), but now I also have trembling/jerky hands. It's freaking me out and now my husband is worrying. Anybody have anything like that?

I'm on the endrodot patch, but I think I might need to explore a little more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2008, 08:27 PM
One week post-op and constantly cold

Hi Donna and

We're happy you joined the Hystersisters community! I hope that you have found the Post-Op Articles list that covers almost everything a recovering hysterectomy patient needs to know! If not, just click on "Post Op" from the blue bar at the top of the page and that will take you there.

"Cold flashes" aren't as common as hot flashes...but they do exist! I had them myself until my HRT regimen kicked in. I also experienced numb/tingly hands. I was told that it can take up to six weeks for any HRT to reach its full effectiveness. But if your troubling symptoms persist, I suggest checking with your medical provider.

Unread 12-12-2008, 10:11 PM

Hi Donna,

I too suffered with cold flushes after my surgery and it was summer time here with temperatures of 110F. They did take a number of weeks to subside but I certainly didn't complain as I hate the heat. If you feel it might be more don't hesitate to call your doctor.

Take care
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2008, 11:06 PM

Thanks. I thought I was losing my mind because all I had ever heard about were the hot flashes. Phew....now I can shiver in peace :-)
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:18 PM

I'm also having really bad chills, but I also have a low grade fever I've had since day 3 due to a UTI. I'm on a course of amoxillin because I had crappy reactions to Levaquin; with a lot of tylenol it gets somewhat better.

So be sure to keep checking your temperature to rule out fever/infection.
Unread 12-12-2008, 11:38 PM

I'm on keflex because I do have an infection but the chills keep happening and only at one specific time of day or should I say night. When I get into bed. I'm totally frozen. I'm fine right up until that point.
Unread 12-13-2008, 12:32 AM

That would be correct then as fevers hit home of an evening...get lotsa cuddles.
Unread 12-13-2008, 12:29 PM

I got the chills too when I layed down in bed some nights. One night I had to get up and put on another blanket had socks on my feet and was still cold. I did not have an infection. That seems to have gone away now. I didn't know what that was at the time either.
Unread 12-13-2008, 03:20 PM

Oh, wow! I was going to get on the site today and ask about this! I have been FREEZING ever since I got home from the hospital. Right now I have long sleeved fleece pj's on, a thick fleece jacket and wooly socks. When I was in the recliner, I was snuggled under a thick blanket and had my 2 dogs draped over me!

I thought I was losing my mind! All I'd ever heard about was hot flashes, too!

I got an estrogen shot in the hospital--guess this is a side effect! Don't know for sure which HRT I'll be on until I see the dr. at the post op visit.
This is just very wierd. I wish I could soak in a hot bath, LOL!
Unread 12-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Oh I used to get so cold I would shiver, and mind you I had my TAH done in the SUMMER!! I had to get in a HOT BATH several times a day to warm up, that was my only way!! I started taking some HRT and they stopped but it was something for sure!! GOOD LUCK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register