Scheduled dVH/RALH Scheduled surgery November 14 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled surgery November 14 Scheduled surgery November 14

Unread 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Scheduled surgery November 14

I just met with my gyn/oncologist and he scheduled me on my prefereed date November 14, 2011 for a DaVinchy robotic assisted total hysterectomy with tubes/overies removed too. I am a 42 year old BRCA 2+ mom of 5 kids, aged 17,15,12,4, and 3. I am actually more excited now since Im not having a TAH. I have been reading so much on here about positive experiences with the davinchy.
My doctor said there was about a 10% chance the cyst on my left overy is cancerous but he will biopsy it during the surgery so I will know by the time I wake up.
I am pretty well prepared for the surgery because I've read on this site about things to wear (loose baggy pants) to the hospital and home, things to bring (gasx, stool softners, pillow pet, ect...), things to have (abdominal binder!) ready at home (lots of frozen meals!) and it has helped me a lot.
I would say my mood has gone from to in just one day!
I am finally ready for my surgery, now all there is to do is WAIT which I am terrible at!
Thank you HysterSisters for all this information- If it were not for this website I would be scared and confused instead of happy and ready for surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Re: Scheduled surgery November 14

Woohoo! I'm scheduled a couple weeks after you - make sure you let us know how it goes. This site has been invaluable, hasn't it?
Unread 10-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albanese07 View Post

I just met with my gyn/oncologist and he scheduled me on my prefereed date November 14, 2011 for a DaVinchy robotic assisted total hysterectomy with tubes/overies removed too. I am a 42 year old BRCA 2+ mom of 5 kids, aged 17,15,12,4, and 3. I am actually more excited now since Im not having a TAH. I have been reading so much on here about positive experiences with the davinchy.
My doctor said there was about a 10% chance the cyst on my left overy is cancerous but he will biopsy it during the surgery so I will know by the time I wake up.
I am pretty well prepared for the surgery because I've read on this site about things to wear (loose baggy pants) to the hospital and home, things to bring (gasx, stool softners, pillow pet, ect...), things to have (abdominal binder!) ready at home (lots of frozen meals!) and it has helped me a lot.
I would say my mood has gone from to in just one day!
I am finally ready for my surgery, now all there is to do is WAIT which I am terrible at!
Thank you HysterSisters for all this information- If it were not for this website I would be scared and confused instead of happy and ready for surgery!
Hello, I am scheduled for surgery on the 15th of November by he di vinci method as well. My pre-op is scheduled for November 11. I am scared and excited at the same time. I will be turning 30 the end of this month and I already have 3 kids. I would love for you to keep us updated on your surgery. All information is greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM

Hi! My pre op labs/EKG is also scheduled for November 11! I'm allready packed for the hospital ! I'm only staying overnight. How long are you staying?
So far I've bought an abdominal binder from this site, heating pad, bed rest sit up pillow, soft throw blankie for hospital, slip on slippers, a mini pillow pet (bear) to go across belly under seatbelt and gasx, stool softener, fiber gummies, and a non spill water bottle .
I'm trying to get excited about it now, I was scared at first but now I'm not! We can compare notes on here!
Unread 10-13-2011, 05:54 PM

Hi. Tomorrow will be 2 weeks since my DaVinci and it has been an overall positive experience. I am still sore and a little tired but not too bad at this point. You sound like you are very prepared which is great. One of the biggest obstacles for me was the bending issue. Since you are not supposed to and cannot comfortably bend this can be challenging. I borrowed a reacher/grabber which was great since I seemed to drop everything. I also had to get a long handle sponge for the shower to reach me feet and lower legs. You also may want to think about hair removal on your legs. I just could not shave my legs and it drove me crazy! I ended up going to have them waxed since its still not comfortable to bend any period of time.
This site is the best and it really helped me get excited for my day. I was so calm that morning thanks to everything i had read. Best of luck on your surgery.
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM

Wow I hadn't thought about not bending! I have a 3 and a 4 year old- I bend down a lot!! But I've arranged to so absolutly NOTHING for the first two weeks! I've allready warned my family!
Can you squat down or is that too painful?
I've decided to get my toes painted before surgery and it usually lasts 2 weeks. But I hadn't thought about shaving?! I guess I'm glad it's going to be in November! I'll be wearing sweatpants most of the time.
How long til you can comfortably bend?
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:10 PM

I was able to shave my legs and paint my toenails by 4 or 5 days post op. Squatting wasn't too difficult. I tried not to bend very often for the first week or so but it was not super painful to do so.
Check your pre op instructions before getting a pedicure. Many say no nail polish on fingers or toes.
Unread 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM

I am having mine tuesday and I am excited that I am having davinci also. The great thing is that my Doc is allowing me to take a shower when I get home...

Good luck with yours
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:18 PM

I'm super happy about the davinchi too! There is a large cyst on my left overy which may be cancer and I was all prepared to have the TAH - so when the dr told me I was able to have the davinchi I was so relieved.
Unread 10-13-2011, 08:22 PM

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery to all you ladies !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register