Question about sunlight for those taking estrogen - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about sunlight for those taking estrogen Question about sunlight for those taking estrogen

Unread 05-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Re: Question about sunlight for those taking estrogen

hello!! im soo glad to help, I just had my post op appointment and asked him a bazillion questions, one was... "didny my body produce more than 1mg of estrogen a day?" why am I taking onlu 1mg per day he then said to me, It states on the bottle if I need a second tablet daily its ok to take 2 for hotflashes a day, and proceeded to tell me being on a low dose such as 1-2mg of estrogen a day cuts my breast cancer possibility 50%!!!!!!!!
WOW!!!!!!! i know! he said but if I up the estrogen up goes my risks. VERY VERY INTERESTING IS IT NOT?

BEX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-31-2009, 09:04 AM

Thank you for that information Simplythankful. I did not know that specific information about the HRT and my mother just went through breast cancer - the most aggressive type - and is now cancer-free!!!! I don't want to take chances of raising my chance of going through what she went through. I was also glad to read about the sunlight as I didn't know that either. This is truly a wonderful, informative sight.
Unread 05-31-2009, 02:24 PM

Is this not thee most awsome site??!!! Im loving it so and found more and more aqaintences have had hysterectomys and am refering them here to help us newer girls out that have just had or having this op!
I had no idea about the estrogen etc either, but i can add a serious first hand experience, my older sister patty has sever huge brown spotches on her face due to her dr not telling her about the sunlight and the importance of using spf on her face and being careful in any direct sun exposure...poor thing tries to use concealer but you can so see the true dammage the sun can do when on estrogen, there is no reversal that i know once the damage is done. I hadnt known what it was was trying to simply be kind, then i found out she is in full blown menopause and is taking estrogen and this is how is occured she said, "since taking her medication" i had to tell her about the connection bewteen sun damage/estrogen and her facial skin she was mortified that she was not told or warned earlier......... Ladies ladies!!!!!!
Knowledge is power! It may be toolate for her but not for the rest of us!

Bex
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:22 PM

Good to know! The doctor didn't mention anything about that to me, and neither did the packaging on my HRT - Yaz. It's estradiol, also, but only .02 mg.

Maybe that's why it didn't mention anything about sunlight? Such a small dose?

Either way, I'm very fair skinned, and have always burned easily. I'll be sure to take extra care putting on sunscreen now!!

Thanks for sharing the info!
Unread 05-31-2009, 03:31 PM

my dose was smaller than yours my pharmacy was costco, and the Pharmacists said ALL WOMENS HORMONE REPLACEMENT IN ANY DOSE SHOULD HAVE A DIRECT SUNLIGHT WARNING.. oh my take care hon!

Bex
Unread 05-31-2009, 07:15 PM

i went out in the sun for an hour with no protection and my face got these little bumps, almost like acne. I was told to wear a hat and avoid direct sunlight, since then no problems! But the estrogen has made my skin more sensitive to the sun.
Unread 05-31-2009, 08:49 PM

Ooh my ladies ladies beware of the sun we can love it but we now need protection!! If you have sensative skin i highly recomend oil of olay spf moisturizer for anytime day or night they also have a gfreat hypo allergenic line of spf lotion with a hint of concealer they are great!!!!!!!!!! I also suggest the fragrance free if your skin was ever sensative to any cosmetics or lotions int he first place like me!

hugs to all bex

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register