Scheduled LAVH Question about removal of Ovaries and or Cervix? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about removal of Ovaries and or Cervix? Question about removal of Ovaries and or Cervix?

Unread 10-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Question about removal of Ovaries and or Cervix?

Hi my name is Tracy and My LAVH is scheduled for 11/11/09 and as i sit here suffering once again from anemia related exhaustion, menstrual cramps, bloating a migraine head ache and killer back pain i can't help but think It's almost all over Though i have to say that for all the benefits i see before me I am still a little freaked out by all the things i have yet to experiance... Reading post Op threads here didn't help in easing my fears...
Though I'm sure that life is going to be so much better once i just make it through the surgery It's the whole NOT KNOWING part that scares me.
Having suffered through the side effects of having estrogen dominance, ovarian cyst and having had abnormal pap's in the past I Will be having Both my ovary's and my cervix removed and I'm wondering if any one here can tell me what your experience has been having removed your ovaries and cervix ??? so many post here give positive feed back about their hist experience though most have kept their ovaries and or cervix ... I'm only guessing that having a HIST with HRT involved is a much different healing experience than if the ovaries are left intact though i have no idea ?!? I'm also a little worried about having vaginal shortening due to Cervix removal , has anyone here had their cervix removed and has there been any issue with it that ?Sorry for the long post Just a little scared is all .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2009, 04:31 AM
Re: Question about removal of Ovaries and or Cervix?

Welcome to our world of Hystersisters,

You will learn a lot from the site. Although I haven't had my surgery yet, I can give you the advise of staying away from post of with topics of complications. I was scheduled back in January and I canceled because I got the crap scared out of me.
Women who have had their surgery will come along and give you their experience.
Unread 10-14-2009, 04:32 AM

I had my hysterectomy on 9/18/09 with the davinci robot vaginal hysterectomy everything removed. I started hrt 5 days later for hotflashes . I have had no complications. I had surgery at 730am and was home by 630pm that same night. NO bleeding or pain, but gas the first couple of days. I have felt so good that I have to remind myself that I have had major surgery. I have never had any surgery so I was very nervous before surgery. I have to say that it has been so easy. I would do it all over again. I can't say about the shortening of the cervics but my md said it may be a little shorter but nothing major. Not cleared for sex yet so I'm a little nervous about how different it will be and if it will hurt. I really can't wait to try and see. Try to stay calm and don't read too much. Some of these post had me terrified before, but I have to say that I have had a good experience. Going back to work tomorrow, and unlike some I have enjoyed my break from work and being home for a few weeks. I really needed the rest. We pray that you will have a good experience and will feel better afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2009, 08:53 AM

ismae3,

well these are pretty much exactly all of my fears, you pretty much said everything I have been thinking, and somethings that I probably would have thought.

My RALH, is on Nov.9, so I am pretty much where you are, and this waiting thing is just aweful, it gives me too much time to think, worry, and wonder.

Just think this should be you last visit from auntie flo. Good luck, and God Bless.

Stacy
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:05 AM

Hi (((ismae3))) I had both my cervix and ovaries removed over seven years ago. The removal of my cervix was no big deal at all. Remember that the average vagina is only about three inches long and stretches to accomodate... so as long as your vaginal walls are kept moist and elastic, you should not have any problem with that. The rare exception might be in cases of cancer where more of the upper vagina is also removed. Even then, sometimes working with dilators can restore normal functioning as far as ability to have intercourse is concerned.

You are right that it is definitely different when the ovaries are removed. Finding the right HRT or combination of HRTs can be easy or it can be very difficult if not almost impossible. It is often a process that can take six months to a year or more and require tweaking occasionally even after that. Also, some HRTs are quite expensive, and there is no guarantee that a "cheap" one will work for you. I spend about $70 a month at the moment on my HRTs plus another $100 a month on vitamins and supplements to 'fill in the gaps' so that I feel normal and maintain good health. Working ovaries are free, if you have them! (Mine were not working well already when they were removed.)

I hope this helps. Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:57 AM

Hi i had every thing removed on 7-28-09 iand i have had no problems. I feel better than i did before the surgery. I have only had some night sweats. Sex fells the same also try not to worry i know that is hard to do .take care
Unread 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM

THANK YOU For all of your feed back! Suferbabe you really know your info as Ive read some of your other responses and i appreciate your input! My ovaries are working fine Only Ive got Estrogen dominance and Horrible mood swings that are completely Cycle related and unfortunately as long as they are producing estrogen on their own schedule we have not been able to counter balance the effects with progesterone . so I'm thinking that having the ability to adjust an HRT might be welcome solution.. though Not knowing for sure is scary...
thank you for sharing your Info as it's really helping me feel more at ease!
Unread 10-14-2009, 12:48 PM

Having my cervix removed didn't shorten my vagina at all. Sex is fine & hubby said he doesn't notice any difference.

Keep in mind that a lot of women who have had no complications are out living their lives & don't come back here as much. Where the people who have problems do come here a lot to get help. I had an uneventful recovery & I make sure I come back a lot just to tell people that it can all go just fine. There is a point where you can just read too much & scare yourself. You will do fine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register