what to expect immediately post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to expect immediately post-op what to expect immediately post-op

Unread 04-13-2004, 11:29 AM
what to expect immediately post-op

I'm schedule for TAH in 4 weeks, and have lots of questions about what to expect following surgery. I don't see my Dr. again for 3 weeks, and I'm trying to get prepared. Everyone's cases and Drs. are different, but some information might help ease my anxieties about recovering from my first major surgery.

I'm supposed to have surgery on a Tuesday morning, and go home on Thursday (which is fine with me, don't want to stay any longer than necessary!). I'll just have a cat and dog with me at home, and DH, when he's not at work.

Here are some of my questions:

How soon will I be expected to get up and out of bed?
How long will I have a catheter?
Will I need assistance (other than staff) at hospital? at home?
Will I have a special diet after surgery?
Any precautions for showering/bathing?
What's a "short walk?" 50 Feet? 50 yards?
Are there exercises I'll be expected to do?
I know I'm expected to spend a lot of time on my back the first 2 weeks at home--how much will be spent sleeping? Should I be stockpiling books/mags/videos?

Any helpful experience you can share would be appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 11:57 AM

Hi,
I'll try to answer as best I can. I had my TAH 2 months ago.

I had surgery Monday morning and they took the catheter out around noon on Tuesday. (Try to drink alot of water after surgery as they would only take the cath out when they saw the bag was filling up.) I got up a few hours later to try to go to the bathroom. I made sure the nurse was with me in case my legs were too weak. The next morning I actually took a shower and waited for the doctor to get there to be released.

I didn't need too much assistance at home, other than to ask people to come see me and bring some food. You're not going to be able to stand for a long time and cook. I was lucky because I have an apartment and everyone is on one floor. As far as I know, you can eat anything you want, however, check with your doctor. Try not to eat too many foods that might bind you up because you're already going to be that way. Someone on this message board suggested drinking cranberry juice.

When I went home from the hospital I didn't have any bandages on the stitches so they told me just to take showers for awhile and not bathe.

A short walk is whatever feels right for you. I know I got up and walked around every few hours just to get my strength back.
I wasn't given any exercises to do.

I would suggest you stockpile books, mags and videos. I got bored after about a week and started doing board puzzles at the dining room table.

Good luck and I'm sure you'll be getting alot more advice to follow.

Sandy
Unread 04-13-2004, 12:02 PM

Hi Trishtalker,
Let me take a stab at your questions:
Depending on type of anesthesia/painkiller, they'll want to get you up later that same day, with help.
You will probably have a catheter until the day you go home and can prove that you can pee on your own (so to speak).
Having DH or a friend at the hospital is a great idea to assist you, but if they're there all the time, you'll both be worn out. The most helpful thing my DH did was unplug my phone when he left in the evening!
At home, I really needed DH for the first week. And he loved bringing me stuff and cooking for me. Made him feel very needed.
After surgery, you will get ice chips, then clear fluids, then real food. Drink as much as you can to help move things along.
Don't take a bath for at least six weeks, or until the doc okays it. DH became my "towel boy" for my showers because I couldn't bend over to get my legs done...and it was nice to have the attention anyway ;-). (He's still my towel boy...)
At first, a short walk is from the bedroom to the bathroom! You will be amazed at how quickly you get fatigued. Just take it easy, and increase your walks slowly.
No one mentioned exercises to me; in fact, I was told no exercising for a full 2 mos. I have managed about 15 min, moderately, on the treadmill so far, a couple of times.
I remember sleeping late, eating breakfast, then taking a nap, showering, taking a nap, eating lunch, taking a nap, etc. Seriously! While napping your body is healing. I had a tower of books to read, but didn't really get to them until the 2nd week home. Videos are great for an on/off attention span too.
Stockpile some Phazyme or Gas-X, and fruit juices. A crossword puzzle book in the bathroom was very helpful, because starting things up again takes a lot of patience and time in the bathroom. And sometimes taking your mind off it while you're sitting there really helps things move along!
Good luck to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2004, 12:28 PM

Could I chime in with another QUESTION?

I have the choice of two vehicles in which to return from the hospital. One is a mini-van and the other a sedan. I am short, so the minivan is a bit of a step up. The sedan, on the other hand, has low seats which I find a struggle to get up out of. Right now, pre-op, I find the van easier to get in and out of, but I will have to step up.

Anyone have any idea which might be less challenging?
Unread 04-13-2004, 12:39 PM

We have a mini van and a car also. Although I am not short, I found it by far more comfortable to ride in the mini van. On the day I got to come home, my husband brought a little step stool for me to get in and out of and that seemed to work pretty good. My car on the other hand sits very low (mustang) and I still have a little trouble getting in and out of that. It seems I pull a bit everytime I am getting in and out of the car.
Unread 04-13-2004, 12:40 PM

Hi Trishtalker,
Here's my experience and

I am 3 wks post-op today. (7:45 AM on Tuesday morning) They did not attempt to get me up until mid-morning on Wednesday when they had removed the catheter.
The first two times out of bed the nurses helped me. After that I didn't need any help, was steady enough on my feet. I was discharged on Thursday. DH would help (as in strong support to grab onto to pull up), but I could have managed without him if you don't have someone available.
Diet? Tuesday was only ice chips and IV fluids/meds. (I was surprised that I wasn't hungry.) Wednesday only clear liquids. (IV came out & meds were oral.) Thursday I was back on regular food and plenty of fluids. (I would suggest keeping it high fiber, but nothing that would make you gassy.)
Wednesday & Thursday I had a sponge bath. (DH was a sweetie and washed my hair when I got home Thursday.) Friday I was allowed to shower. I, too, appreciated my "towel boy" and "Ouch" if you drop the soap! Doc said no tub baths for 2 weeks.
Walks are what ever you can handle (started w/walk to the bathroom and back!) and stairs only twice/day.
Exercising is still for me.
Even though I was in bed or on the couch most of the day, I didn't sleep a whole lot. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to sleep at night. I know I dozed some with the TV on. DH would bring me breakfast at 7AM (just like the hospital) before he went to work and would make sure I got to the bathroom okay. Couldn't really focus on a book until week two. So, have been reading, doing jigsaw puzzles, writing thank you notes, trying to organize old photos and recipes I've clipped over the years, watching TV/videos. Am beginning to get cabin fever so I hope our weather breaks soon so I can at least sit on the patio.

Hope that helps.

Linda
Unread 04-13-2004, 12:44 PM

I would also recommend the mini-van. Stepping up was not nearly the problem that getting up from a low seat presented. Usually the bigger car also has a smoother ride--your tummy will feel every bump in road! Make sure the pillow is packed in the car.
Unread 04-13-2004, 01:59 PM

The below is what happened with me. Everyone heals differently, hospitals have different rules, yadda yadda yadda:

How soon will I be expected to get up and out of bed?

I had TAH 8:00 Tuesday, AM Stayed in bed 24 hours.

How long will I have a catheter?

They took the catheter out the next AM, then they got me up shortly thereafter.

Will I need assistance (other than staff) at hospital? at home?

I didn't. I was getting up by myself, unplugging my IV and hauling it in the bathroom myself (my hubby stayed with me first day in hospital, then came the next -- he'd unplug for me when he was there). When I got home, he went to work the next morning for a few hours. I could get up and to the bathroom and kitchen by myself.

Will I have a special diet after surgery?
I didn't -- but I sure didn't have an appetite either! Ate mainly oatmeal, soup, crackers, applesauce, ice cream. My dearly-loved coffee just turned my stomach (and it took weeks before I regained a taste for it!) Drank massive amounts of water

Any precautions for showering/bathing?

My doctor said NO bathing until after 6 weeks to avoid getting a bacterial infection. Was in the shower the day after surgery. Once home, my hubby would turn it on and off for me and help me in the first few days.

What's a "short walk?" 50 Feet? 50
yards?
I never got the true definition of this. I'm a walker -- I usually walk 3 miles a night. At the hospital, I'd get up and walk "around the block" in the hallways. Once home, the first few days, it was just in the house. After that I'd go out and walk around my back yard (bet the neighbors loved that, me in my nightshirt, holding my belly!) It took me a long time to get back to my 3 miles, maybe 2 or 3 months after surgery.

Are there exercises I'll be expected to do?
My hospital gave me a sheet of exercises for the first, second, and third weeks.

I know I'm expected to spend a lot of time on my back the first 2 weeks at home--how much will be spent sleeping? Should I be stockpiling books/mags/videos??

I didn't sleep as much as some. I'm not a napper. There were a few afternoons I'd doze, but most of the time I didn't. Dr. Phil and Wayne Brady became my new best friends.

I did enjoy watching movies -- stockpiled books and never read them!

Good luck and I hope you have as easy a time as I did!
Unread 04-13-2004, 02:33 PM

I was up out of bed the morning after surgery.

My first walk was from my room (near the door -- so I didn't have to go around another bed) down the length of the hallway, maybe 4 rooms, plus a hallway and back again, pushing my IV stand the entire way. At most I don't think it was more than 50 yards. After the second day, I walked that hallway six or seven times before I felt worn out. Did the same on the third day, but had extended the walk down another hallway -- that may have been close to a walk around the block.

I had my catheter until the morning after surgery. The nurse helped me to the restroom for my first "pee" after removing it. After that, I was able to get there on my own and didn't need assistance getting to the bathroom.

My diet wasn't a special one -- just progressed as you might expect after surgery -- clear liquids for one meal. That went well, so the next meal was soft foods. Before I left Monday morning I was eating normally.

Cleaning up (showering) after surgery was a major event. I had to cover my incision with plastic wrap so it wouldn't get wet. A plastic bag (like you can get at the grocery store) worked great. I used a lot of paper tape though.

After I got home, I found that a nap every day was great. I enjoyed watching regular TV, rather than videos, but that was my choice. I also read a couple of the books that well-wishers had given to me.

I was on the PCA for about 24 hours after surgery, then progressed to two pain pills, one Darvocet, the other was Ibuprofen. I took one 3 times a day, the other 4 times. Sometimes in the hospital I had to ask for one of them, other times it was given to me. I don't know why I had to ask sometimes, but not others.

As far as exercises, walking was the only thing I did. The nursing staff checked my vital signs very regularly -- every 4 hours -- day and night. Deep breathing was encouraged for about the first day. I had the inflatable things for my legs so that kept my blood circulating. I sat in a chair for as long as I could, then fell back in bed to nap.

My first adventure after surgery (except the trip home) was back to the doctor's office to have the staples removed. WOW! Then a quick stop at the card shop.

Best wishes to you!

SusieQ
Unread 04-13-2004, 04:36 PM

Hi trishtalker, I could have written that post myself!! My op`s on 12th May!! Joined this brilliant site a few days ago, and have done nothing but read! You asked all the same questions I`ve been thinking, and so many have given really helpful replies. Just a bit of background, I`m married to Chris and have 4 girls-16, 2 x 15 and 5yrs. I`m a Registered Childminder and care for 6 children at the moment.......not all at the same time!! One of my biggest concerns is how long will I have to be off work??!! Obviously looking after children is a very active, strenuous job and don`t want to go back too soon, but on the other hand, will only get a minimum statutory sick pay, so don`t want to leave it too long! Has anyone got a similar job that can offer advice? I`m 40 and fairly active anyway......if that helps!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register