I'm Trying Mirena Coil for now... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm Trying Mirena Coil for now... I'm Trying Mirena Coil for now...

Unread 09-27-2005, 03:13 PM
I'm Trying Mirena Coil for now...

I saw my doctor this afternoon; brought my period journal; all kinds of typed questions in regards to hysterectomy...copy for he and I to discuss. I was very well prepared.

One of my questions was trying the Mirena Coil. We've decided to give it a try for now. He really doesn't want to see me have a hysterectomy being so close to menopause even though I am symptom free for now. He even told me I'm very fertile and I really should use some form of birth control.

Hopefully, this will help control the bleeding. It's worth a try and then I'll know we've exhausted all options.

Probably a blessing in disguise as my mom is looking at hip-replacement surgery soon and I was planning on the hysterectomy at the end of the year. Not sure how far mom will have recovered by then as she depends on me immensely; and if I were to be sidelined, it would be very hard for me and my family to give her the help she will need. We also suspect dementia symptoms so this week has been a whammy full of surprises.

On the positive side, my ob/gyn commended me on the beautiful job of presenting my questions and told me that I must have spent quite a bit of time on researching all the info I gave him. Kind of made me feel good, ya know!

So, for now, if I have they surgery it won't be until summer or July. By then I should surely know if the coil is working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2005, 04:06 PM

Sorry to hear about you mum Diane99 and hope her surgery goes smoothly for her. I'm waiting to find out if my mum has parkinsons right now and she is in hospital with a fractured neck so I can understand the "whammy" feelings you have there.

I wish you good luck too with the mirena coil. I tried it but my body rejects any form of hormonal treatments so I ended up having it removed ....... and got my op as the last resort. It was worth the try and as you say, at least you know you've tried everything possible first. I certainly hope it works for you.
Unread 09-27-2005, 04:58 PM

Good for you. If you do have to have surgery down the line, you'll feel more comfortable knowing you tried this. I'm wishing you the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-27-2005, 05:10 PM

Thank you both for such heartfelt replies. Out of the blue, my mom decides to have hip surgery after I made my appointment with my gyn in regards to the hyst. I wasn't expecting that and thought if she could wait until winter was over and do it in the spring would be fine.

I really think I can put up with a week of inconvenience bleeding for several months, for the sake of knowing my mom has me to count on. It's so hard to hear and watch the symptoms of dementia or whatever is going on appear with her. I just know she has a long recoup ahead of her, and I won't be able to drive or shovel the snow..I'm a Buffalo girl..so I know that's ahead of me for sure.

I'm not terribly optimistic on the Mirena, but hey, it's worth a try! I'm sure the next few months I'll either be at the hospital or the nursing home next door to me, about a 1min. walk...yes, I'm hoping to get mom in there...it would be a Godsend. I could go over several times a day and not worry about my flooding and a place to escape.

I've told my sons that if I ever start showing signs that I'm a wagon losing the fourth wheel, to let me know and seek treatment.

For now, I have to go behind mom's back...I feel so guilty, but I know it would break her heart to know I went to her doctor with the suspicions.

Thanks again!
Unread 09-28-2005, 06:15 PM

Diane99

You have just made my day!! I am so glad you are trying the Mirena Coil and I wish you every success with it. I am not sure if I have replied to any of your posts in the past or you have ready any of my posts, so I am sorry if I am repeating myself. I have a couple of friends who have had the Mirena fitted and are doing fabulously with it and have avoided a hyst (one of them is due for replacement after five years, she has had great success). The one thing I have been told by all my friends is that it can take around six months to really get in the groove, so to speak, so please give it a little time.

I wish you all the very, very best and also to your mum. I wish I had of tried this before my hyst, actually I wish I had of known about it. I only read about it after.
Unread 09-28-2005, 06:48 PM

Thank you Aus Chick! I think I can live with the inconvenience for awhile longer in just knowing I'm there to help my mom. She's scheduled for surgery for mid-November so no way would I be able to continue to help her out afterwards if I had surgery in December.

Sometimes things happen for a reason. I'm trusting that hysterectomy time is not for me just yet. Even my doctor is so very supportive in this decision...he hates to think that I'm so close to menopause and end up having a hyst.

Who knows, maybe Mirena will work..I know it may take some time, and I'll do my best to be patient during this trialing time.

Thanks again!
Unread 09-28-2005, 07:19 PM

I had a Mirena for 7 months and it totally stopped the cramps and reduced my periods to spotting.

I did end up having a hyst as my enlarged uterus was causing bladder problems and my adenomyosis was so advanced that it was not going to go away without surgery. (I'm 45 so I was hoping to wait it out until menopause).

On the positive side, the Mirena gave me time to mentally adjust to the idea of a hyst and look around for surgeon that I was comfortable with and to do research about hysts.

As well it allowed me to build up my iron levels (they were pitifully low). If your iron levels get too low, your surgery could be postponed.

On the negative side, I put on 6kg in 6 months and my stomach increased dramatically in size (from around 3mths to 4-5 mths). The gyno who did my hyst said that all of my pelvic region was inflamed and swollen - apparently my body did not agree with the Mirena.

I'd say it is definitely worth a try. Good luck and hope it all goes well for you.
Unread 09-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Hi (((Diane)))

Good for you, going your research and presenting your questions to your doctor! I'm crossing my fingers you'll do well on the Mirena. I've heard so many good things about it. If Plan A fails, you'll have more confidence moving to Plan B.

Hang in there while your body adjusts. Let us know how you do with it, okay?

Best wishes & to you and your (((mom))) -
s~Beth
Unread 09-29-2005, 06:29 PM

Thanks so much Cheryl and Beth! I know I'm doing the right thing for me for now. The past few days have been terribly anxious for me with my problems and my mom's upcoming surgery and talking to her doctors...or trying to.

Anyway, thank you so much, everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register