Wearing usual attire | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wearing usual attire Wearing usual attire

Unread 03-27-2009, 10:04 AM
Wearing usual attire

Ok, I'm 11 days post op and so tired of wearing lounge clothes!!

My sister in law is going to let me borrow some of her maternity pants, so at least that will not be pj's, but I want my jeans!!

How long did it take before you could wear regular clothes again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Re: When did you start wearing normal clothes?

Hi Mleinstock,

I put on a pair of my bigger jeans the other day for my doctors appt. I had them on for about an 1hour and that was all I could take. I have been wearing sweat suits and PJ's. I have an open incision though that I have been dealing with so I don't want anything touching it even panties are trying at times the doctor is picking at it every 2 days with a scalpel so its gross and sore. Each women is different and swelling is different for everyone. Atleast your SIL is going to get you some different clothes. It does get tiring having to lay around in pjs or sweats all the time, i have my shower in the morning and do my hair and make-up and put on sweats LOL..... But it makes me feel better so I do that. I said to my DH just because I feel like crap doesn't mean I have to look like crap. I think its these little perks though right now that make me feel better. Having this gross open incision doesn't help much and having to wear maxi pads across the incision so every little bit helps to make me feel better and think of something else.. Hopefully you will be comfortable enough to be able to get into your jeans soon enough but you are still early on in your recovery yet.......... It will come in time and it does get better.....
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:46 AM

Regular clothes?? I guess that depends on what your style is. I hate sweat pants, as I have thunder thighs, and they just accentuate that. I usually wear cotton twill or dress pants. I love to dress up, and so skirts are not out of the question. However, with my vertical incision, I can't handle my "normal" pants, as the zippers run up the length of my incision. When I went out yesterday, I wore a cute little skirt, scooped neck blouse, and a jacket. I also wore flats, instead of my usual heels. I was comfy, and the incision didn't have anything rubbing on it. Although after a bit my tummy was pulling. Yikes! At home though, I am wearing yoga pants, with a wide pant leg. Yes, my thighs look chunky, but I'm at home, and comfy, with nothing rubbing on my incision.
But, you are still early in your recovery, so try to keep that in mind. Just imagine how fabulous you will look a few months from now, when you are healed!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-27-2009, 10:52 AM

I tried to wear my jeans about two and half weeks post OP and it lasted through dinner and that I couldn't wait to get them off. I had an appointment on exactly my 3 week point and was able to wear the jeans for about 3 or 4 hours. Right now they just irritate my incision so I have decided to wait at least another week before I try again.

It is very frustrating because I am a jeans and sweatshirt type person even at work.
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:44 AM

It is so different for everyone. I am 5 weeks post-op today and I am wearing clothes about one size too large still. Skirts are great!
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:49 AM

I'am 16 days post op and I've tired to wear my jeans but I find I get little pains because my cut it right there. so I'am wearing jogging pants and sweats still =/ yet I feel I could run blocks right now lol anyways good luck on your recovery=)
Unread 03-27-2009, 01:00 PM

When I go out, I usually try on my jeans and then realize that they still hurt my tummy way too much. So, I end up wearing a pair of stretch "Lee" khakis with a "comfort waistband". They are really comfortable. I feel kind of silly in them since they are kind of baggy ---(they are my "workpants" as I work in an assisted living facility) and I am so used to wearing jeans when I'm not at work----but lately I just don't care! Comfort is key!
Unread 03-27-2009, 02:20 PM

I was able to get my fat jeans on from about 4 weeks but would only wear them for a couple of hours at a time.

It was 3 months before I could wear them for a whole day but I did start building up gradually.

I was lucky that I had some pull up denims that looked Ok with a longer top. The rest of the time it was sweat pants and jogging bottoms.
Unread 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM

I have one pair of jeans and one pair of green cotton pants that are at least one size too big (that is one size bigger than the "real me" not this swelly belly creature). I have been able to wear them since about day 8. I tried some of my normal pants, even the ones with the stretch spandex in them and no go. I thought it would not be much different than the abdominal binding thing others talk about but it sure is not comfortable for me.
Unread 03-27-2009, 04:58 PM

My jeans seam hits me in a much more tender spot, and my "swelly belly" makes them too snug, so it's leggings and sweatshirts for now.....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register