How long for stitches to dissolve? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long for stitches to dissolve? How long for stitches to dissolve?

Unread 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM
How long for stitches to dissolve?

How long does it take for all the stitches to dissolve including the vaginal cuff? Just wondering....thanks ahead!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2011, 08:02 PM
Re: How long for stitches to dissolve?

It depends on the material used. If you ask for your operative report, it will state in there what kind of sutures were used and you can look them up on the internet. My surgeon used polysorb and they are completely absorbed by 56 to 70 days.
Unread 03-30-2011, 08:04 PM

wow really? Thanks for the info....I don't know why but I thought they dissolved in the first couple of weeks. Thanks I will try to find out or wait until my 6 week and ask!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM

I am 6 weeks post op lavh and only today have seen stitches when I wiped. There were quite a few, grey colored and quite thick too. No wonder there is so much pulling. Some ladies that are at the same level as me, saw stitches earlier. so I think everyone is different.
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:20 PM

The only stitches I have are from the uterine cyst that was removed. I know as of last week the stitches were still intact. I've not seen any dissolving and come to think of it, I don't know how long till they are gone.
Unread 03-31-2011, 08:56 PM

I think I hung onto mine forever!

I had an infection, it slowed things up, but they were still there at my 7 week appt! Argh!

I'm a bit over 8 weeks now, don't feel them, so thinking they are finally gone. I never saw a single piece when wiping as others describe. (trust me I was looking hard! lol)
Unread 04-01-2011, 12:21 AM

Mine were still not completely dissolved at my 6-week check up. Which is good - I want them holding up until the tissue has really had a chance to mend.
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:13 PM

Mine did not dissolve until 5 1/2 months post op...not joking. Doc tried to get them out but they were too short (believe me, he tried) My DH could feel them during sex. Ouch!
Unread 04-01-2011, 01:36 PM

Never saw any during toilet paper inspections. At 6 week check up oncologist said all looked fine...some stitches still there. At first 3 month check up. had a pap and internal.....my gyn/oncologist said all looked great...had no pain....stitches all dissolved. Still took my time...wanted the tissue to heal well and resolve vaginal irritation from surgery....waiting for any "activity" was no big dea...DH of 30 plus years just wanted me to feel better and heal correctly.
Next check up May 3rd. The "what if'ing" has started again.
Take it slow friend...heal right the first time. Good luck
Unread 04-01-2011, 04:16 PM

I spoke to my doctor's office yesterday, the nurse said it can take up to 6 weeks before my stitches could be gone. We shall see.... as I'm still spotting and bleeding, but that's a whole other issue....

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register