Surgery tomorrow, still no decision on ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery tomorrow, still no decision on ovaries Surgery tomorrow, still no decision on ovaries

Unread 06-27-2004, 01:19 PM
Surgery tomorrow, still no decision on ovaries

I have to be at the castle tomorrow at 5:30 a.m., and I still can't decide if I should keep my ovaries or let them go. This is assuming of course, that Dr doesn't find anything wrong with them. I have severe pain during ovulation lasting a week to 10 days, mostly with my right ovary, but occassionally with the left.

I think the pain is bad enough that I wouldn't hesitate, if it wasn't for the hormone issue. I'm sooooo afraid that I'll be one of those women who has a horrible time finding the right balance of hormones to allow her to be normal. I was never able to use BC pills because of the severe side effects. Also worried I won't be able find a DR who really knows his stuff about hormones.

I also know that 50-60% of women who have a hyst have their ovaries fail within 2 years. I think I heard somewhere that these "dead" ovaries slightly increase your chance for ovarian cancer. I don't have any family history, but there might be some peace of mind in knowing that the risk is gone.

But . . . . . the hormones! I don't want to come out the other of this as some crazy, unstable, hotflashing, horrible woman. What will happen to my family if I'm never "myself" again?

I know I'm the only one who can make this decision, but any input will be much appreciated!

TOMMOROW I'LL BE A PRINCESS!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 01:57 PM

Dear Ccb,
Let me first say that my thoughts and prayers are with you as you prepare your visit to the castle. Everything will go great and you will soon be a new woman. When I first learned that I would have a hysterectomy I really didn't think about the procedure--I was unaware of the different types hormones, no hormones etc. so when I went for my consultation the Dr. said it will take about 45min to 1 hour and everything will be fine. Then I found this site and thought oh, wow I am not prepared for any of this.

Anyway to make a long story short I am 44 years old and 11 days post op from a TAH/BS0--before my surgery I didn't realize they just took everything--naive or what?!?

So before surgery I asked Dr about taking everything and he told me it prevented further surgeries and why risk that as we became older (Thankful really) and I have no family history of ovarian cancer etc but he just took them anyway--I was showing some signs of premenopausal anyway

Then he placed me on the patch because he did not want to through me right into menopause etc. at all and said we would see how the patch went for awhile and with the new research on new bio-hormones etc that we would stay up to date and do what is best for me. I love the Dr and he was very upfront and up-to-date with latest research etc.

I am not a hormonal wreck and whacked out or anything. I thought I would really be a mess because the BC never worked well for me either. I had trouble having children even though I ended up with 3 but this did not come easy. Always had horrific pain with periods and was a**%&*% on wheels at least 10 days each month. I think life will be much easier (fingers crossed) from now on!

Good luck and just think about it. If you get to speak with the Dr. before surgery tomorrow let him know your concerns and why. He will do what is best for you if you let him know your needs.

Good Luck and see you when you are a princess!

Valerie
Unread 06-27-2004, 02:05 PM

Hello,
You sound so much like me. I didn't decide on whether or not to keep my ovaries until the morning of surgery when my doctor came in to see me before I got wheeled into pre-op. This decision was a struggle for me but I told him to remove them.

At 51 my ovaries were probably declining anyway. The lupron shots I took for two months to essentially shut them down may have made it impossible for them to "wake up" again.

Ovarian cancer concerned me although removal of the ovaries won't guarantee against cancer. But it certainly lessens the risk for it. There is alot of female cancers on my fathers side.

The problems with remaining ovaries in a high percentage of post-hysterectomies was a factor as well.

I initially wanted to keep my ovaries because I didn't want HRT. Had a very long talk with my doctor about that and he explained it all to me and also that many of the studies are very flawed.

As a physician he feels quality of life issues are very important and that in some cases it is more important than avoiding a small risk factor.

I based my decision to go on HRT on medical facts, know the risks, decided I could live with them easier than not taking HRT.

Almost 3 months post-op and have been on estrogen patch since surgery. Have no complaints or problems associated with the HRT so far.

While in my 20's I had to discontinue use of BP pills because of complications so was afraid to go on HRT after surgery. The Lupron shots put me into a menopausal state, I didn't like the way my body was reacting to the shutdown of my ovaries so I'm going to give the HRT a try. If it works I'll stay on them for as long as my doctor feels necessary, if I can't stay on them will have to look at alternatives.

Best of luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-27-2004, 05:44 PM

Thanks to both of you for the information and your kind words of support. I could never make it through this experience without the help of my wonderful sisters!
Unread 06-27-2004, 06:03 PM

Hi Cammy!

Well, you will probably be retiring to bed soon, since tomorrow is your big day. After reading about women's struggles with the "ovary decision" I understand why, even though I told my gyn to yank mine weeks beforehand, he asked me about it again, (for what seemed to be the fifth time) right before I was wheeled to the OR. I got kind of irritated, because I knew I had already given him the go-ahead on this.

If you're interested, you can read my saga by going to "Meet Staff" on the Hyster Sisters pull-down menu. I have also posted my thoughts on "the ovary issue" a number of different times on this site. The bottom line with me is, at 15 months post-op, I am still not certain I made the right choice. I have flip-flopped back and forth about my decision many times. Two weeks ago, when I was sitting at the funeral of a 54-year-old family friend who died of ovarian cancer, I was happy I don't have ovaries anymore. Three days ago, when I went to the pharmacy to get my prescription for two different HRT pills, I wished I still had them. I honestly don't know when I will ever truly "know" if I made the right choice for me, or not.

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. And, may you make the best decision, for you.

Many s now and always,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register