My uterine remnant is huge and I have mid abdominal pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > The Road Less Traveled

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My uterine remnant is huge and I have mid abdominal pain My uterine remnant is huge and I have mid abdominal pain

Unread 07-16-2017, 01:27 PM
My uterine remnant is huge and I have mid abdominal pain

I had a hysterectomy in March of 2014. Still have a cervix and one ovary. In January of this year I started having severe cramping, diarrhea, nausea, and a fever. After 4 days went to ER. I was admitted with diverticulitis. The CT scan report had a finding of air trapped in the uterus. Well since I do not have a uterus I questioned this and they changed it it prominent uterine stump. So I have been on 5 rounds of antibiotics at this point, since January 8 with recurring diarrhea and intense pain from my belly button through my vagina. It hurts more when I sit up straight and lean forward which causes severe cramping that can go on for hours. I always have cramps. I had a second CT scan on 5/19 that reported a normal uterus. Again, I do not have one of those. I have forwarded my CT scans to a radiologist who says he has never seen a uterine stump as big as mine after a hysterectomy, he also cannot corroborate a diverticulitis finding. I do not have diarrhea all the time but when I do I have increased pain in the same area with nausea and vomiting. I get put on antibiotics for recurring diverticulitis. Also in March I started lactating. My hormone levels do not indicate anything abnormal and they cultured the fluid, not even menopause is indicated in my hormone levels. Has anyone had any experience with any of this? I am being passed from doctor to doctor and no one seems to be able to help me. I have seen a general practitioner, a gyn, a gastro, 2 surgeons who will not do a laparoscopy because they have no ideas what they will do with what they find. I have 2 more appointments this month, one with a gastro and one with the Gynecologist who did my hysterectomy. Meanwhile, here my 47 year old body sits curved in a chair most of the day because I only have pain, it isn't emergent so no one wants to deal with it...any advice would be helpful. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Re: My uterine remnant is huge and I have mid abdominal pain

I'm sorry youre experiencing such difficulties.. I would suggest you call your health insurance company. Tell them you want their medical director to look at your medical records to further determine.

Be sure you have copies of all of your medical records-labs, etc. I would suggest a 2nd opinion w a Gyn surgeon that is not affiliated w your current Gyn medical group or hospital. Then a 2nd opinion w a GI Dr. A colonoscopy can determine diverticulitis diagnosis.

I hope you get answers & feel better. Please update us.
Unread 07-18-2017, 06:06 AM

and

I'm sorry to read of these complications so far post-op. I had a supracervical hysterectomy and also retained my cervix. The cervix is the lower part of the uterus (which you probably know!); my surgical report referred to the "cervical stump". Is that possibly the remnant that the ER staff and radiologist are referring to? ER staff and radiologists may not be familiar with supracervical hysterectomies - it's not performed as frequently as other hysterectomy types. The thing about SHs is that there's no definitive dividing line between the cervix and uterus. The surgeon makes his or her best determination, and cauterizes what remains.

You don't mention why you had your hysterectomy or what the pathology showed. Since the cervix is the lower part of the uterus, it's possible that whatever caused our uterine problems may resurface in our cervix. I had fibroids and adenomyosis (the latter diagnosed after the uterus was removed). Though uncommon, there are a couple of threads here where a cervical fibroid has appeared, so it's something I'm aware that can happen.

Though I don't have any personal insight, I think your best option will be the surgeon who performed your hysterectomy. I do hope you get a diagnosis and a path of action.

Update us when you can!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Thanks for your responses. I did have a colonoscopy which showed diverticula with no signs of infection(I was not symptomatic at the time). It is not the cervix. They can visualize the cervix with a huge remnant attached. It is huge and is almost as big as a uterus, which would explain the findings of normal uterus on the CT results. The radiologist said he has never seen such a huge remnant post hysterectomy. He also thinks it may be adenomyosis, which I can find nothing on because all the references refer to the uterus with no information on post hysterectomy adenomyosis. I have some appointments in the next 2 weeks. I was really just hoping someone would have had a similar experience. It figures nothing I have is never in the realm of a "normal" abnormality, lol. I appreciate all you responses and I will be contacting my insurance company if I cannot get any pain relief in the next 2 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register