What'll it be Doc?--Info about a TAH/BSO, please. | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What'll it be Doc?--Info about a TAH/BSO, please. What'll it be Doc?--Info about a TAH/BSO, please.

Unread 02-09-2006, 06:35 PM
What'll it be Doc?--Info about a TAH/BSO, please.

Went to my Doctor's Appointment on Tuesday to hear the news and to see what I wanted to do. The Doctor says that I need a Tah/Bso. I am so scared of the pain of the surgery, recovery and not to mention what I will feel like for the rest of my life. Anyone else have the same feelings as me? If you have already had this same thing could you give me some advice and support by sharing your story with me?

Thanks Y'all! You're all beautiful!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2006, 06:55 PM

I did not have your surgery type, but wanted to drop by with a and let you know that many women are scared to have a hyst. This is a very common feeling, so you are not alone. Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:32 PM
Here's what helped me get to and thru surgery day.

Hi, Maverick's Wife,
I'd never been in a hospital before my surgery - at least not as a patient so I can relate to what you're going through.

After I read the information on what to take to the hospital on HysterSisters, I decided to approach it as packing for a new adventure. My DH read the MisterHysters and that helped us both.

The board also mentioned cleaning out the room where you were going to sleep. That gave us focus for an afternoon. Otherwise, there would have been extra furniture in there that I'd probably bumped into.

I was really freaked about anethesia and I hate needles. Made it clear to everyone about the needles and they seemed to be extra careful. Asked for anti-nausea med in the anethesea and my anetheseologist said he always puts it in.
He was great. Had me asleep before I had time to panic in the OR. (I also made a point of not looking around the OR and tried to focus on the people transferring me to the table instead of what was going to occur.)

Back to before: I bought several inspirational paperback novels and read instead of sitting around stewing whenever I could. Also bought a gospel CD and took it with me to the hospital although I really couldn't focus on it because of the people around me.

I prayed for Peace that passed understanding. I believed that whether I woke up in Heaven or back on Earth, it would be ok.

The check-in nurse and others were really kind and took the edge off by their calmness.

Bought some satin-like PJs that I wouldn't have bought otherwise. They made me feel sexy in the hospital.

When I woke up in recovery, they were quick to get me to my room. Maybe, I'd been awake and talking prior but I don't remember anything between stretching out my arm while they arranged pads under my legs in the OR and hearing someone say,"She's ready to go to her room."

The IV in the arm was something I thought would bother a lot. It didn't. Think they used something to numb the area before they put it in and once it was in, I really didn't think about it. Probably after surgery, the morphine drip kept it from hurting. It didn't hurt when they took it out.

Catheter didn't hurt when it was in. Nor did it hurt when they took it out.

WALK! Providing your doctors and nurses say it is ok. A nurse walked with me the first time and then DH after that. I was having some minor problems that walking seemed to help. I was so surprised.

I walked with the IV cart and the things they put on your legs. Those stocking-like things are almost like a massage when they push air in and out to help stop blood clots.

DH had planned to take a week off to help me to and from the bathroom when I got home. But, after the first day, I was able to get in and out of bed or a recliner on my own,, so he went to work. (Except the sofa. It took a couple of weeks before I could get up from laying on it so I stayed off of it if he were gone.)

I walked inside at home - hallway carpet now has a path. Walked outside about five days home.

Hope this helps. Relax. I know that is easier said than done. Maybe focus is a better word. Focus on packing and take each hour at a time. Try not to dwell on the event ahead of time i.e. worry about it.

Any other questions, feel free to message me.

Best regards,
Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Pain. ps

You asked about pain. It was a whole lot less than I thought it would be.

I didn't use all of the prescrips they sent home with me. Switched to Ibupropin. (Was going to save some of the prescrips for when I got the staples out but then decided the doctor might want to tap on my ab and have me tell him how it felt so I didn't take them then either.

I think the numbness in the area of the incision is a blessing. The feeling - for me anyway - has been coming back in stages. I have also had radiation so my situation may be different than others.

Tiredness, fatigue... is to be expected, I think. Enjoy the naps and letting others do the dishes, laundry and vacuuming when you get home.

My DH is even emptying cat litter boxes. Wonder how long I can "milk" this?!
Unread 02-09-2006, 07:43 PM

I also had TAH/BSO on January 26 and feel great! I spend 3 days in the hospital, the pain was not bad since you will get morphine and other pain killers. Moving around for the first few days was a bit difficult but I recovered very quickly, and now I feel as before the surgery. Of course I still have to take it easy and visit the couch for a few hours a day with a good book - but don't worry too much. It is not a walk in the park but not as bad as I thought it would be. Just keep a positive attitude - that helps a lot. I trusted my doctor and the hospital staff was really great and made me feel comfortable.
Unread 02-09-2006, 08:40 PM

Hi! I has a tah-bso right at the New years and it went pretty well. To be honest the first couple of days are the worst, but you will soon get over it and then fatigue will be your only complaint.

The things that made it easier for me (I had two c-sections so was somewhat prepared), was to have my lidocaine for my hand for my IV as it makes it totally painless and easy, and to ask for anti-nausea drugs, makes things so much better and your recovery easier.

I also made sure I had the swelly belly band, a round (Cheap) squishy pillow from Walmart and good cold water to drink. I had alot of ice chips in the hospital and they were also wonderful and brought back some appetite.

You'll do great! Have faith and don't push that first time out of bed, go slow and remember this too shall pass and in a short time you won't belive it's already over! My actual surgery went to me so quickly, I only remembered getting the relaxing drug in my IV and the next thing I was waking up to a wonderful nurse who was giving me warm blankets and asking if I was all ready to go to my own room. It seemed like just seconds had passed!

Good luck! Relax and take care!

Doll doc/stacy Tah-Bso Premarin .625, it's all gone and I'm getting better all the time!
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:08 PM

Hi!
I had my TAH/BSO on Nov 14th 2005. It was not what I expected. I thought it would be really painfull and knock me for a loop. When i woke up in my room I was in some pain but they gave me a pain pump with something called dialoted. It's a little stonger than morphine. It was great. I really don't remember anything about that day. By the next morning i asked to have the pump removed and cath. I took 4 or 5 long walks that day in the hospital , so they let me go home about 6:00 that night. For the first week i was sore. Mind you they first tried the lap way and could not do it that way so they opened me up. I had two incision instead of just one.By week 5 i was feeling better than i had in 10 years. I had explored and completed all the options they game me to fix the endo and adeno, So this was the only option i had left. I'm very pleased with the outcome and now can lead the life i wanted to live for the last 10 years. Good luck and keep the faith. God only gives us what we can handle.
Unread 02-09-2006, 09:51 PM

I just want to say thanks tho those who posted on this thread. I am having a tah bso in about 8 hours and reading the experiences you all have had gives me peace of mind about it. I am sure it will not be a walk in the park but it seems to be something that you can tolerate with some pain meds. Thank you, feeling a little less anxious now.
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:16 PM
Glad it helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scf13
I just want to say thanks tho those who posted on this thread. I am having a tah bso in about 8 hours and reading the experiences you all have had gives me peace of mind about it. I am sure it will not be a walk in the park but it seems to be something that you can tolerate with some pain meds. Thank you, feeling a little less anxious now.
Hi, scf13,
Glad you're less anxious. Will keep you in my prayers tomorrow. Let us know how you're doing when you get home.

Regards,
Kat3
Unread 02-09-2006, 10:21 PM
pillows!

Ah, yes. Someone mentioned pillows.

I bought a body pillow for $8.88 at WalMart. Have two smaller (flat) pillows for under my legs and another large pillow (almost body pillow size) that were extremely helpful for keeping me off my side and belly after surgery. (I am mainly a side and belly sleeper.)

I still sleep leaning against at least one of them. Hardly any room in the bed for DH and the dogs growl at the bed when we're not in it because they thing there are people hiding under the covers.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register