6 days post-op; am I a wimp? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6 days post-op; am I a wimp? 6 days post-op; am I a wimp?

Unread 01-04-2010, 03:38 PM
6 days post-op; am I a wimp?

I was prowling around on this website before my surgery 6 days ago for a TAH and I learned a lot of great information and for that, I am grateful. I registered now and need support!
I'm an RN (whose last day of work...as in resignation... was 12/18/09) and honestly, I really didn't think I would have many, if any, questions once I was post op. I used to work on a med surg floor and thought I knew what to expect. OH, BABY was I wrong about that!
I was totally unprepared for 1.) an 11 1/2 lb weight gain between surgery day and discharge day, 2.) not recognizing my own anatomy; my perineum was so huge and hard and purple it looked as if I had a crescent-shaped scrotum, 3.) intense gas pains with no relief even after doing all the right stuff,and 4.) terrible back pain.
I never expected to call my doctor to get a refill for pain meds and I just got off the phone having done just that. So, am I a wimp, or what?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Re: 6 days post-op; am I a wimp?

no way are you a wimp.....i needed a pain med refill 10 days after surgery.....had the worst gas pain for the first three days...did take some stool softener and metamucil.....metamucil is a part of my daily regimen but i still sometimes get painful gas.....we never know what to expect until we are in that moment....hang in there....i am beginning my fourth week post-op and had a rough day yesterday with achiness and swelling....doctor said this is to be expected....our bodies are trying to adjust and everyone is unique in the process....and kudos to you being a nurse....i was so grateful to the amazing nurses that i had in the hospital post surgery....they kept me smiling....take your meds and take care
Unread 01-04-2010, 04:03 PM

MsQuita;

Thank you for your kind and quick response. I feel like a just got cyberhugged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2010, 04:06 PM

(((((HUGS)))) Hang in there~
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Yes, it is a shock to not "recognize" yourself after this surgery. I felt the same way after taking a mirror and examining my bottom. I'm not sure why there isn't more pre-op info. on what to expect. It's confusing to know what to eat - because we need fiber, but that causes the gas! Sometimes I feel like I swallowed a balloon! This is much more difficult to go through than I ever imagined.
I too have the highest regard for the nurses who looked after me following the surgery. They all deserve great big hugs - and pay raises!
Take care - looks like we're all in this together.
Maywoman
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:00 PM

You are not a wimp!!! I had a ton of pain after my surgery. I had to take pain meds for awhile. I still do at times. I have to get that checked out though. Hang in there, and rest!!!!
Unread 01-04-2010, 08:29 PM

OMGosh!!! You ARE NOT a wimp! I made the same mistake of thinking I was too just a few days post op. Stay on top of the pain, keep taking the pain meds as often as you need them. DON'T push yourself.

And it's funny, being a nurse you really don't know the answers about yourself. Don't sweat it!

The weight gain could be from IV fluids. I know after my last baby I had a HUGE weight gain due to the IV fluids. It took a couple of weeks to go down.

Don't second guess yourself, please take it easy and don't let anyone tell you that you should be feeling better by now. Until someone has had the surgery they don't know squat, and even if they have everyone heals differently. There are a lot of women on this board who are still taking pain meds. I'm just over 2 weeks post op and I still have to take an occasional pain med.

Please be king to your self and get lots and lots of rest!

{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:52 PM

I had my TAH on Dec 15......and I was still needing to take 2 percocets before bed up to Jan1. I got a refill after the first week. Pain management is crucial as you know. I have only needed a few from that refill.....but it is good to know that they are there if I need them.

Kudos on the nurses......I had a great team when I was in the hospital! They gave me the positive start that I needed on my road to recovery!
Unread 01-05-2010, 06:26 AM

One of the problems when you work with sick people is you think you understand pain and recovery. Unless you experience it first hand, it is easy to underestimate it. I've had other surgeries and thought I knew what to expect from a TAH - but I was unprepared for the magnitude of pain and emotional upheaval it caused. Surgical menopause almost put me over the edge. I've been working with chronically ill children/young adults for over 20 years, and always encouraged them to "suck it up" and "push through the pain." For the first time I understand what they might be going through in recovery. It makes me more sympathetic, that is for sure.

Be good to yourself, and use the milestones posted here to help. I was flat on my back at your stage, taking my pain meds regularly still. You need to treat yourself well, and not pass judgement on your coping skills. This is hard, but it does get better. Don't let anyone minimize what you are experiencing, including yourself.

Hugs to you -
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:34 AM

Hi djrn,
I am also a nurse. I was still taking pain medications at 6 days post op. I don't know if you have staple/clips or not, but I was taking pain meds pretty regularly until those were removed. My pain level went way down but didn't go away completely when they were removed. I continued to have abdominal cramping now and then for several weeks. Take care of yourself and don't feel guilty about taking pain medication when you need it. As you know, it is a JAHCO standard to assess and relieve pain regularly as it has been under-treated in the past. You had major surgery - don't expect too much of yourself!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register