Upcoming hysterectomy: Ovaries, To keep or not to keep? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy: Ovaries, To keep or not to keep? Upcoming hysterectomy: Ovaries, To keep or not to keep?

Unread 11-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Ovaries, To keep or not to keep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn.Jones View Post
I think this is a hard decision for most women to make. I was 30 when I had my surgery and both of my ovaries looked fine so I decided to keep mine. If I were closer to natural menopause, I probably would have just had them taken out. The main reason most women keep the ovaries is for estrogen production. HOWEVER, let me say, even though I kept both ovaries I have still been put on a low dose of estrogen for 3 months due to my doctor thinking that my ovaries are kind of "in shock" from my surgery so he's trying to "kick start" them back into estrogen production. I hope this helps a little. Good Luck!!
The problem about thinking that if we are close to menopause it is more safe to remove the ovaries is twofold. First, we don't know when we are going to enter menopause. My mother's sister began menopause when she was 51. My mother's mother began menopause when she was 61 (she lost a pregnancy in her 50's). My mother showed no sign of menopause at 56 when she had her hysterectomy. We just don't know when it's coming and none of us is an average. I was 45 when I had my hyster and was showing no signs of menopause. The second problem is that some women experience a Surgical Menopause after Natural Menopause. The ovaries continue to trickle hormones for years after menopause occurs, so some women have menopause all over again after a BSO. Also that trickle of hormones protects bones, heart, mental health, sexual health, etc. Personally, I intend to use HRT the rest of my life so long as my doctor allows. I know a couple women in their 70's how still use low-dose HRT.

I hope your ovaries "wake up" soon. The shock is likely due to the severing of uterine artery which supplies the ovary with most of its blood supply. It can take a while for the ovary(s) to re-establish a proper blood supply to function normally. That time can vary from woman to woman.

Thanks for sharing your story and information with others!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy: Ovaries, To keep or not to keep?

Yes, that's one thing to keep in mind is how the surgery can affect the ovaries by disturbing their blood supply. They can get a little wonky afterwards for a bit.

For four months after my surgery (uterus, tubes, cervix all gone), my pre-menstrual issues were worse (godawful sore chest, black mood, etc.) and my sex drive was high enough to be irritating. After those four months though, things went back to normal, and I now feel perfectly fine -- better, since I no longer have a boulder in my guts. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register