What Happens at the Pre-op? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Happens at the Pre-op? What Happens at the Pre-op?

Unread 10-18-2004, 09:10 AM
What Happens at the Pre-op?

HI!
I was just curious as to what things are standard for a pre-op in office visit. I know that some things may differ depending on the doctor and situation. I'm just nervous about the unkown I guess.

I think I was just so surprised that the surgery was being scheduled that I didn't even think to ask at the time. This is what I've wanted for so long, that I still can't believe the shock and surprise I felt when it was finally a reality.

Thanks for any advice! I'll ask more specifically when they call to confirm the appointment, but I'm going nuts in the meantime.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2004, 10:26 AM

Like you said each appointment will be a little different. Most likely the Dr will tell you what he is going to do (like a step by step) this is also your chance to ask any questions because you may not see the dr before surgery. I was out before the dr came in for my lap and I had something to ask and didn't get to. So rather than trying to remember your questions make a list. Take notes or even a small voice recorder so you don't miss anything. I had 2 pages of questions and a nother page of notes after he answered them. Then I went over to pre regester at castle. I had a seperate list of questions for the anethstiaolgist. They drew blood and urine test. I have heard alot of women say that they had an EKG and chest XRay. You should take any meds that you are on with you. They may have you stop something you are taking if it interfers or causes blood thinning like some heart meds and some artheritis medication. Any thing with asprin is kindda a no no. They gave me a bottle of anti bactirial soap to bathe with half the bottle the night before and wash and blow dry my hair and get up the morning of and use the other half of the bottle but didn't have to rewash hair but if I got it wet they told me to make sure to blow dry it. Wet hair can cause mildew with is basiclly a bacteria so make sure your hair is dry. I was asked if I wanted to do an advansed directive which I am currently in the proccess of completing. And I went ahead and made financial arangements for my co pay. I have an Access one credit card specificlly for any charges from this hospital and I just make a payment to access one every month so I don't have to worry with the hospital. This is along but I hope it give you some Idea as to what to expect. Just make sure to get questions answered that is one of the biggest reasons to have a preop with dr. Hope all goes well. you are in my thoughts
Unread 10-18-2004, 12:20 PM

Hi There!

My pre-op exam with my family physician two days prior to my surgery was not at all stressful or scarey. It was actually kind of fun, as I recall. After the lab tech drew a couple of vials of blood, my doctor gave me what I jokingly called a "field sobriety test" kind of like depicted on TV. He asked me to walk across the exam room first on my tiptoes, then on my heels. He told me to follow his finger as he moved it back and forth in front of my face. There wasn't anything painful involved at all. I didn't have any questions to ask him about the surgery, as I had asked the gyn all my questions of that nature a couple of weeks beforehand. Based on my experience, the pre-op exam is certainly nothing to worry about.

I'm sending calming thoughts your way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-18-2004, 01:10 PM

I had two pre-op appointments: one at the hospital, and one with my doctor.

The hospital appointment was about 2 weeks before my surgery. First, I filled out admitting paperwork, showed my insurance card, gave them a copy of my advance directives, signed approvals and so on. The person registering me also gave me a sheet with a special code for my family to call and get information.

Then I met with a nurse, who took blood, and gave me an EKG. She also requested a urine sample. Finally, she gave me all of my pre-op instructions: when to stop taking ibuprofin, when to do a fleets enema and to wash with a betadine sponge from belly button to thighs. She also instructed me where and when to report. After finishing with the nurse, I went to radiology where I had a chest X-ray. That was it!

The appointment with my doctor was exactly a week before my surgery. She did a quick pelvic, answered my remaining questions, and gave me the "scare speech" - the things that could potentially go wrong. I had to sign another consent form - the doctor's consent is different from the hospital's form.

Overall, neither one seemed to be a big deal, though getting the pre-op instructions straight is important.

Good luck!
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:15 PM

My pre-op was this morning. It was scheduled about 2 weeks ago, so I had time to type up a list of questions. She had me sign paperwork authorizing the surgery, detailed everything she was going to do, and then answered all my questions, except for a couple that the anesthesiologist would be better able to answer. Then she did one more vaginal exam to remember what she was up against, LOL....told me the scheduler would be calling me to get the labwork EKG and chest X-ray scheduled/done...and she would see me on the morning of the 29th. I brought my state disability paperwork and my AFLAC paperwork, and she took it for her assistant to prepare. She'll give the AFLAC stuff back to me on the day of the surgery, since my employer has to complete a portion of that, and will mail off the SDI stuff. Then, she told me I was good to go and sent me on my way. It all took less than an hour.

Grace & peace,

Terry
Unread 10-18-2004, 01:28 PM

Thanks so much ladies!!!
I feel much better after reading your replies.
Unread 10-18-2004, 05:56 PM

What happens at your pre-op depends upon your doctor and your health. I had two pre-op appointments. At my doctor's office, I had to give a urine sample for a pregnancy test. I also had a finger stick to check my hemoglobin level. At my hospital pre-op, more blood was taken. She also took my blood pressure and temp. I met with the anethesiologist. That was it for me. I didn't have to do a bowel prep, either. I was told to show up at the hospital at 6 AM and to not eat after midnight the night before. Best wishes.
Unread 10-18-2004, 06:07 PM

I didn't really have a pre op apt with my DR. The day we scheduled surgery (about 6 weeks out) was the last time I saw her. I asked about another apt with her before surgery and she said only if something drastic changed between then and surgery. I signed all the paperwork her office required at that time and got a lot of my pre op instructions. She did call me the night before to see how I was doing and so I could ask any last minute questions I might have.

I did have a pre op at the hospital about a week before surgery. I spent time in admissions signing forms; then went to a surgical nurse for an extensive medical history interview, she took my vitals and went over in detail my surgical pre op instructions. She also explained the procedure the day of surgery - what time to arrive, where to go, what would be happening, etc. Then I went to the lab for blood work.

Some ladies have an ekg and/or a chest xray. I don't know what the basis is for that, may be age or medical history. I did have eye surgery under a general anesthesia about 9 years ago - for that I had to have a chest xray, this time nothing.

Best wishes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register