Pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 12-01-2003, 02:22 PM
Pre-op

Just came back from my pre-op visit. Can't believe my stomach was in such knots. The nurse in pre-op was so nice. She had a TAH 10 years ago at 39years. She was very patient and understanding. She said I would love my pump and don't be afraid to ask for more meds if needed. Cathedar would come out the following day. Thanks to everyone on this site I knew I'd have to have a cleaning but it's just a fleets 2 hours before surgery. What I didn't expect was finding out that I'll be getting a Betedine douche too. Sounds like fun...My surgery is next Wednesday ay 12:15. I'm getting more and more nervous. I feel sorry for my hubby since he'll be on the receiving end of my nerves. I told the nurse at the hospital about this site and she said she'll pass the word. It really does help to have all you ladies out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2003, 02:50 PM
Pre-op

Good luck...God Bless.
Unread 12-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Pre-op

You'll do fine. I had my TAH BSO 14 days ago...and am amazed how good I feel. Pain was not much and very manageable. Very little nausea. got up the second day and walked....I'd suggest you do that a LOT to help with the initial passing of the gas, which can be quite momentous! Have been healing nicely and getting my energy back. Coming home frm teh hospital was also easier than I had expected...I did fine and I live alone, had some help for a few hours a day, but otherwise, it was okay.

I am looking forward to 2004 with no pads, bleeding or monthly mess. I know you will be in good hands....get your house ready, get lots of good books to read, let people help, turn it over to God...then have FUN the day before your surgery....and enjoy the ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Pre-op

Hi Pielady!

I had my pre-op on Monday and my surgery is tomorrow (SAH).
Saying that I am nervous is an understatement. I was so nervous during my pre-op that my blood pressure shot up (it normally is very healthfully low) and the nurse could barely get any blood out of my veins--they kept collapsing--I think that's from nerves also--never happened to me before. Having said all this. I think we're just being very normal. What we have to go through is very nerve-wracking. I think I also have been driving my husband crazy, who's been trying his hardest to be supportive.

After having read all the posts on this wonderful website I do believe we'll be in much better shape when we're on the other side. Although we have to be prepared for whatever comes our way there is a good possibility that things will go well.

So, best wishes to you for an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. See you on the other side.
Unread 12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Pre-op

Hi all! I also had my pre-op today and surgery is on Wednesday. I was so nervous about pre-op and it was nothing!! Although, I wondered if anyone else had to do an 18 hour bowel prep. I have pills, suppository, and solution to take to clean me out. I have to be on clear liquids tomorrow and then nothing after midnight. I was not expecting that at all. My surgery is not until wed afternoon too!! oh well, guess it's gotta be done to end my suffering! Thanks for listening
Unread 12-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Pre-op

Hi,

I had an enema and betadine douche at the castle the morning of my surgery also. The nurse filled the douche bag for me and sent me to the bathroom so that I could do it in private. I hope that you get to do that too. It's much less embarrasing that way. Of course, it's about the only thing you get to do in private

It's nice when pre op goes so smoothly, it does help put away a few of the pre op jitters.

s
Unread 12-01-2003, 05:29 PM
pre-op directions

Hi everyone,

Been reading the site for awhile now and find it so helpful. My LAVH is tomorrow! yikes.. I'm scheduled for first surgery at 7:30am, arriving at 6am. If I had not found this site I would of had a million questions but I feel so much more informed now. Not sure how you word this but I'm having everything removed including ovaries & cervix, I'm 39 and not looking foward to the instant menopause. I will be going to Oklahoma for x-mas to visit my family on the 23rd of Dec. It's about 1000 mile trip one-way then we will stay for a week and come home around the 31st. Traveling with my DH, 2 boys ages 6 and 10 and a parrot! Leaving the guinea pig at Grandparents! I'm hoping that 20 days is enough resting time to make that long of a trip? One thing I'm dreading more than my surgery is this fleets enema! I haven't taken an enema in 20 yrs. It says to take it the night before surgery on my pre-op sheet. Should I maybe not use it until early in the morning say 4am? I'm nervous more about all this pre-op stuff and don't want to be a mess during surgery. I wasn't told to stop eating or drinking until midnight but I cut myself off from food around 5pm. Is that time to digest? Such stupid questions I know but I've tried not to think of it till the last minute. Any advice would be appreciated. I read an earlier post on waiting a couple of hours before surgery. One more embarrassing question, of course I had to start my final period a few days ago, any problem with using the betadine douche during it? Should I take blow-dryer also? So sorry to bother everyone with these type of questions and good luck and God Bless all the women on this forum.
Unread 12-01-2003, 06:10 PM
Pre-op

Definetly tell the nurses you are in your cycle before douching. I've been told that it can cause problems. Like shooting a clot up further than it should. That wouldn't be good.

Your trip. You still wont be allowed any heavy lifting, so dont be carrying any suitcases or anything like that. Plus, you may still be sore. Take it easy. From your post it sounds like you'll be driving. Bumps in the road may still be tender to your belly. May need a pillow for the belly and seatbelt. If you are driving, you'll probably need to get out and stretch a little more than usual.

I also had everything removed, cervix, ovaries, etc.... Doc put me on estratest and so far I'm feeling really good. Have had a few hot flashes but other than that, pretty good.

IMO I think you should you use your enama the night before. I had to drink some very nasty crap that didn't work until 4am!! So, to be on the safe side, give your body time to do what it needs to do. Last thing you want is to hold up your surgery because your busy in the bathroom!

I took my blowdryer and never used it. Showered but couldn't care a less what my hair looked like. I sure wasn't there to impress anyone.

Take care, Best wishes!!

BeatlesCrzy
Unread 12-01-2003, 06:37 PM
thanks for the quick reply

Right after I hit the send button the phone rang and it was my Dr. I asked about the enema and he acts like I should do it early tonight so I can get some rest. (right).. Told him that I started and he said no problem and I just forgot to ask about the douche. Anyway, your surgery was pretty recent and it sounds like your doing well. I went back and read some of your posts when I noticed you were from Ohio. You sound like me, pets and kids. My Dr. is so nice I feel like I'm always the one rushing him off the phone or I tell him when he asks if I have any questions that he has already covered them. Then 5 minutes later I forget everything he just said to me. I'm such a dingbat right now. Anyway, thanks again for replying so fast.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register