Am I the only person? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I the only person? Am I the only person?

Unread 06-12-2006, 04:23 PM
Am I the only person?

I was diagnosed with cervical cancer, so my obgyn referred me to a surgeon at a very good cancer hospital. I went to meet him and was VERY unimpressed! He had a horrible bedside manner -- actually he didn't have any bedside manner at all! I left his office more scared than when I went in!

I am fortunate enough to have a cancer assistance program at work and my case worker from there said there is no reason to deal with a surgeon you are not comfortable with and she sent me to see another guy at a different, but equally as good, cancer hospital. The new guy was GREAT! He made the whole thing so much less intimidating for me (although I was still scared going into surgery last Thursday). He was so caring and concerned with ME, not just what he had to do to me. He also was experienced in doing laproscopic hysterectomies and wanted me to have that kind of surgery instead of the traditional procedure (the 1st guy was going to do traditional as he was not experienced in lapro).

The surgeon made all the difference for me. I would say, if you're not comfortable with the surgeon you have been referred to, ask your OB to refer you to someone else.

Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Am I the only person?

cjashe,
I just wanted to say that your post was so appreciated and so important. Too often we just go with the flow thinking we have to take whatever diagnosis, doctor, medications, surgery etc, that we are handed. Thank goodness you had someone to listen and redirect you. It is so important that we empower ourselves with knowledge and a comfortable relationship with our medical professionals. Thank you so much for a great post.
Unread 06-12-2006, 11:28 PM
Am I the only person?

emichal is right!

I also don't know my doc very well, but I like what he has to say and we are on the same page when it comes to what I want for myself and my body. My last doc, who delivered my babies, had such a negative attitude towards my pain and said he would do a hyst on someone my age and said I couldn't possibly be sure I didn't want anymore children. Like that is his choice! My new doc is just concerned with making my pain go away.

I was a little nervous about going under his knife without knowing him well, so I asked around and the person I now who is a nurse for another doc in the same area said she is not aware of any "bad" things when it comes my doc. So if you can ask around.

Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2006, 04:35 AM
Am I the only person?

I don't know my doctor either. Being a military spouse, we have learned to just see whomever will see us. We live overseas in Germany and I am having my surgery done in the German hospital. I have met my doctor once and he is great. I have also heard many good things about him. So don't worry, I am sure they will take good care of you! Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register