surgery on Monday, cold getting worse--Update, Canceled! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery on Monday, cold getting worse--Update, Canceled! surgery on Monday, cold getting worse--Update, Canceled!

Unread 04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Re: Pre-Castle Update

Hi MimiM - I am very sorry to hear what you went through this morning! It must seem abit surreal! Although it's nice to have it validated that you are really sick and you are indeed a trooper, I'm thinking that's not really what was front of mind for you. I hope you can find a way to have your surgery much sooner than fall. First get better from your sickness, and then you can figure out the rest.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Re: Pre-Castle Update

Oh (((MimiM))), I am so sorry you are so sick! I know this is so frustrating and you have had a rough weekend!

Did they send you over to the clinic to get meds and such or do you need to follow up with your GP?

Since surgery if off the table for now, your #1 priority is to get over this cold/flu! I hope you can stay in bed and rest for a few days! Maybe some of those friends who were going to help you during recovery will come over and help you now!

You have had a stressful weekend so I hope you are curled up in bed and are able to sleep for the next several hours! Plenty of rest and fluids are the orders from me!

Once you are back on your feet, then you work through the ins and outs of rescheduling surgery! Don't fret, we will be here with ideas, support, and information!

Get well!
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Re: surgery on Monday, cold getting worse...can't get a straight answer--Update!

So sorry Mimi. I hope you feel better soon. (((((((Hugz))))))))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Re: surgery on Monday, cold getting worse...can't get a straight answer--Update!

Hi Mimi,
I'm so sorry about your illness and that your surgery has been postponed. I'm sending you a ((hug)) and get well wishes. Take good care of yourself. I hope your surgery won't be too far off.
~Blessings
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Just to let you know that I had a cold before my surgery. Pre-hospital interview stated they didn't like my cough and told me to get it checked out by my GP. I did and he put me on an antibiotic just in case. I called the hospital back and gave them all the information. Nothing else was said. Went in for my surgery and got my IV in (was sched. for 4/1). Was 2 minutes from the OR and the anesthesiologist asked me questions and didn't like my cough and CANCELED IT! Needless to say, I was upset. I shouldn't have gotten that far. I understand they were looking out for my health, but all arrangements were made, kids, school, work, etc. Anyway - had my total hysterectomy and bladder sling 4/16 and I feel great! So glad I can cough, laugh or sneeze w/o urinating...LOL...I go for my 2-week checkup this Thursday 4/29. If you have a dry cough, I believe they will do it. If you are bringing up phlem, they won't. They won't do it in case you end up with pneumonia. If I didn't reach you in time, hope all worked out but don't be surprised if they cancel it. Will be anxious to find out how it went! Good luck.
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM

After reading all the replies I hope you took their advice. I fear this may be too late. Pete's sake don't have the surgery until after the cough is cleared up.!! I know you go through all the prep and I didn't want to post pone either.

I had a week old cold and loose cough when I had the da Vinci hysterectomy April 16th. My Dr. said as long as my mucus wasn't green he would proceed. I was coughing up clear mucus and felt almost well. Unfortunately they gave me dry oxygen for many hours and all that day my mouth felt like the Sahara. The dryness consolidated the phloem and suddenly couldn't cough up anything, just an elephant on my chest and no help from the hospital with a vaporizer for my oxygen. 11 days later and days with the humidifier I can breath pretty easily and almost back to normal.

Hope you waited and can get this message.

Praying for you.

Jody from Georgia
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Re: surgery on Monday, cold getting worse--Update, Canceled!

(((Ladies))))

Post #16 shares about (((MimiM's))) surgery being canceled after she arrived at the hospital.

Unread 04-26-2010, 03:26 PM

Thank God! Glad mine wasn't but maybe the dry air just dried up my phloem. Jut know it was hard to get a deep breath for days post op.

Jody
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:42 PM

I'm sorry MimiM. What a disappointment for you to be sick. Pamper yourself while you get over your cold. I hope there will be a cancellation in the next few weeks so you can have your surgery. Take care of yourself.
Unread 04-26-2010, 03:57 PM

Thanks everyone for your kind words! I probably will be pampering myself a bit...especially since the place was all cleaned and ready for post-op pampering anyways

I just got back from the GP and I have a raging throat infection, they said that they probably wouldn't have even been able to pass the intubation tube (which is what I was trying to tell them on the weekend because I could feel how swollen it was...why don't people listen to us?) Anyways, trying VERY VERY VERY hard to find brightsides, like the fact that I will be cleaned out now and have an excuse to rest and take a few down days just for "me" Might even stroll down to the library tomorrow (literally a block from my apartment) and get a book and movie.

Not sure if anyone has any eating tips for after a full bowel prep? That's my only other question because the only other time I've even done it I've been in the hospital afterwards so just on IV. That being said, I obviously have to start eating and drinking because I did the phosphosoda prep which throws off your electrolytes plus now have a fairly serious fever. I figure it's just like any other laxative and I can probably eat whatever I want now, it's been more than 24 hours. Can't take the antibiotic on an empty stomach so any suggestions welcome. I got some rice/risotto stuff, pudding and ice cream because the throat is so swollen.

Hopefully I will have my new date tomorrow and I won't have to wait too long, but if I do, I will try and find "upsides" to that. I'm off work because my hemoglobin is dangerously low so I suppose I could use it as time to catch up on leisurely activities and writing (I do theatre writing in my spare time). Still, I'm definitely disappointed. I would be lying if I said I wasn't.

But thanks to everyone - looking forward to getting to know my other sisters more

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register