5 days after my TVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 days after my TVH 5 days after my TVH

Unread 07-24-2013, 08:39 PM
5 days after my TVH

Hi, I'm Jennifer, a 33 yr old mom of 4, who just had a TVH 5 days ago on July 19, 2013. It's been quite a rollercoaster.

My doc said my surgery itself went perfect, but I did experience some complications afterward. My pain was not controlled well at all the first day after my surgery, they were giving me all kinds of meds and nothing was touching the pain. And I kept asking for all sorts of things to be done hoping it would help (like removing the packing and catheter or whatever I felt might be making me feel worse!), but it was just so bad that first day.

Then that first night I started experiencing some bleeding issues, and I did end up having to have my doc go back in on this past Monday to try to re-seal my incision.

I also found out on Monday that after believing all this time that my uterus had been my big issue in all of my bleeding issues I've experienced (long/heavy periods and severe post partum hemmorhages), that I actually might have form of hemophilia called von Willebrands disease instead. That was a lot to take in, but it made total sense when I consider all of my medical history, and then add the bleeding issue I experienced after this surgery too.

On top of all of that, I haven't even gotten to just recover myself because my kids got mega sick and they needed me. The day after I got home from the hospital, my 2 yr old had a scary and sudden acute asthma attack (she spent a week in the hospital this past December for asthma issues, so we already knew how scary this stuff could be), so I had to rush with her to the ER that day (I didn't drive, just had my husband drop us off there while he stayed with our 3 other kids). The next day I had to spend taking her back to her doc to make sure we had a good handle on her issue, and then back to my doc so he could check and fix my bleeding issue. Then early the next morning my 4 yr old (who also has asthma issues) woke in a severe croup attack. I thought I was going to lose it at that point, because all I wanted was to REST and RECOVER from what I had been through and it felt like the whole world was working against.

And not helping the matters any, my husband hasn't been very helpful with keeping things going in the house. Thankfully, I had a friend come over yesterday to help me clean things up, and she even offered to watch my kids so I could get some rest for a bit.

This has been so much harder than necessary, and I'm questioning if I made the right decision.

Anyway, I go back to the doc on Monday, and I will get the results about the von Willebrands then, and will hopefully be feeling much better by that point too.

Glad to find a place to find people who've been through the same as me, and answers to questions I have along the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM
Re: 5 days after my TVH

So sorry to hear about all that you're going through. Having surgery is quite enough without having all the "extras" you have had to deal with. Big huge (((hugs))) for you sweetie! I hope the coming days you are able to rest and recover the right way.
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:58 PM

Rest up when you can, I too don't think hubbies get what we have gone thru. Sorry to hear about sick kids asthma is so scary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-25-2013, 07:12 AM

Thanks! Asthma is super scary, and my kids have really put us through it, especially in this past year!!

I'm really shocked they both had a flare just days after my surgery. Typically the summer is our best time of year, and we don't have to worry about it so much. Our hard times with it are always Oct-Apr. But, I think the weather this summer has been so wacky. Really rainy and fairly mild temps compared to usual.

I had some people shocked that I went with my 2 yr old the E.R., for one, my choices were either go sit in the E.R. with the sick kid or stay home and care for the 3 others alone; two, she's my baby and she was very sick and needed me, I was not going to just leave to go through all of that without me despite however bad I may have felt.

Thankfully, they are both responding very well to the meds, and I know they will be ok now.

As for me, I've ran through my percosets like crazy and only have one pill left now, I still have enough ibuprofen, but of course, I can get that OTC anyway, just take the same amount that I've been taking.

I went through the day yesterday only using tylenol and ibuprofen, and then took one percoset at night by the evening was definitely hurting. I'm going to do the same today, just get by with the tylenol and ibuprofen, and then use my final percoset this evening, but I am sure concerned what happens after that. HOPEFULLY, the worst pain is behind me.

It was so bad because my pain was so out-of-control that first day. I had a c-section with my last baby and did not experience pain like that. I'm still bewildered by it.

And my biggest pain complaint has been my lower back, though yesterday my girl area was really starting to bother me more than it has all along.

Oh, and yesterday was my first post op BM, and it actually came in the form of diarrhea. I was miserable for a few hours because it hit over and over and just made me feel miserable.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but man, I sure thought it couldn't possibly be worse than a c-section. My doc told me it should be much easier than that too, so I was not prepared at all for the reality of it.

I'm eager to get the results from both uterine path report and from the lab work I did to test for von Willebrands. If I'm going to have to go through all of this trouble, I at least want some good solid answers about why this happened, ya know.

Thanks for being here, it helps to talk to people who "get it".
Unread 07-25-2013, 09:15 AM

Bless your heart!!!!
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:12 AM

My son had asthma when he was younger. So frightening. He is a teen now and seems to have grown out of it. I guess half of people do. I can't imagine going thru what you did right after surgery. The stress of when he had attacks and had to go in was just almost more than I could bear. Geting a nebulizer helped us not have as many er visits. Croup in a little one, sounds so scary!! Hope things go better so you can rest and recover for goodness sake!!!
Unread 07-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejahthoris78 View Post
My son had asthma when he was younger. So frightening. He is a teen now and seems to have grown out of it. I guess half of people do. I can't imagine going thru what you did right after surgery. The stress of when he had attacks and had to go in was just almost more than I could bear. Geting a nebulizer helped us not have as many er visits. Croup in a little one, sounds so scary!! Hope things go better so you can rest and recover for goodness sake!!!
Thank you! I'm glad someone understands the worry and fear that comes with the asthma stuff, but hate that your son had to deal with it too. I sure hope my kids grow out of it. Both of my little ones have been hospitalized for a week each because of it. And have had several ER visits too.

They are both on daily preventative meds, and I was really shocked this one happened. This time of year is just not the norm for it!!

We have the CUTEST nebulizer, though the poor thing has been worn out. It looks like a little puppy! We call him Roscoe. My daughter has to use it every night because she does a pulmicort treatment daily as her preventative, as well as taking a singulair tablet. But right now they are both back to oral steroids twice a day and albuterol breathing treatments every 4 hours too to treat their latest attacks.

And for whatever reason my dh can not get my 2 yr old to sit and do her breathing treatment, so I have had to do it.

I've threatened to just run away for a bit in these past few days, which of course I wouldn't, but I wish all of these people in my house would realize what I have just gone through, and TRY to give me some time to rest and recover appropriately.

I don't mind being all things to all people, and taking care of them is the joy of my life, but right now, I need to take care of ME TOO, and I just feel like crying that no one seems to have understood what this has been for me! Especially my dh, he REALLY should have been stepping up so much more right now out of care and concern for me and my health.

Anyway, it will pass one way or another, and I am just trying to hang tight through it!

Thanks for the support ladies! It means a lot!
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:31 AM

I'm so sorry you haven't been able to rest and take care of yourself. You have had major surgery and need help. You should be in bed . I'm sorry to be blunt, but your husband needs a kick in the ***.
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj49 View Post
I'm so sorry you haven't been able to rest and take care of yourself. You have had major surgery and need help. You should be in bed . I'm sorry to be blunt, but your husband needs a kick in the ***.
HA! Don't think I haven't considered it, just haven't felt good enough to do it! LOL
Unread 07-25-2013, 01:04 PM

My son would be affected by different things different years: certain pollen, ozone, colds, etc... so the second we think we had it figured out and then it turned out to be NOT that... When we got of rid of carpet, pets and perfumes which helped a ton. Also an elderly lady I know with asthma suggested Claritin to stop nasal drip. She said a drippy nose triggered it for her. All in all I think he grew out of it. If we go a place with pets he takes a Zyrtec and is usually ok. I hope your little ones grow out of it too. Nothing scarier in the world than a baby who can't breathe. And this to happen when you are supposed to be being calm and rest!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register