Hi, new here. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hi, new here. Hi, new here.

Unread 10-28-2005, 07:57 AM
Hi, new here.

I've been lurking around a few days. I read a bit, panic... run away... came back, lurk some more... panic again...

You get my routine.

I am 34 and have scheduled my LAVH for November 29th. Plan to leave ovaries if we can. I am set for a third opinion to be totally sure I'm right. Second opinion was in total agreement.

Since I started (age 12) periods they have always been very heavy and long. Two weeks with yucky gushing. You know... wake up and RUUUUUUNNNN for the bathroom. Ugh.

I have a bicornate uterus with suspension problems that was discovered in my crash section with second baby. Hubby said assisting doc exclaimed 'What is THAT?' when I was opened up. My left ovary was up and over past midline. Well, I kept thinking pregnancy sure was a painful thing... but thought it was normal as I felt all that pain my firts preg too. We were advised to never have another baby.. hubby got the big snip. And baby #3 decided to join us a year later (YES it is his!!! We get that question a lot!!) We were told baby had little chance of making it as he implanted on my 'smaller' side and room was at a premium. He managed to get to 36 weeks thank you. Only 2 weeks NICU, he's our miracle baby for sure.

Last year one of the kids accidently kicked me while we were horsing around and I ended up curled up in a ball cryin in pain. SO not me. So off I went to the doc. Pelvic sono (I all but had a total panic attack due to sonograms being a major stresser in the last preg where I was told over and over that baby coudl not live) showed my new doc (we had moved states) that my uterus was FUBAR as she put it. I about died laughing at that highly technical term.

She said it was obviously bicornate, but that things were swollen etc. I asked about the ablasion but she wasn't comfortable with the water balloon ablasion with my anatomy. She said she'd consider roller ball method after a consult with another doc in the practice as he used that one more often. That doc said I was not a canidate. They both recommended I try BCP/anti-inflammatories to help control bleeding issues/pain. This was a big huge NON success. I then had nausea (big time) an ever so slightly less painful bleed time... followed by the rest of the time beign nasty yucky breakthrough bleeding discharge. Blech. I quit after giving a 6 month try.

Doc suggested a hyst. I said thank you for the Pap, see you in a year! Got call about my third abnormal pap in 5 years. Still just ASCUS but starting to stress me out... geeeeesh. Everything came back normal upon further review.

Went back to doc now a year later... pain is worse, and I have developed this feeling of 'fullness' in my abdomen all the time. I'm tired of hanging around the house for a few days as I can't run out without fears of leaks. When doc examined she said the right ovary (where it pulls alot) felt enlarged etc... uterus wasn't overly large but larger than normal, but sono showed what she suspects if further torsion. She is concerned the right ovary is getting 'cemented' to the uterus. Adhesions? Don't know. She said she's never seen a uterus twist like mine has/is.

Afte much thought I've decided I'm tired of the pain... being depressed... etc. Agreed to the hyst.

I'm, of course, worried it isn't the right choice. My nasty MIL is saying she wishes she never got hers at age 48 (from what I gather she did it for convience's sake alone... told me it was 'impossible' that a woman has periods over 4 days, I'm exagerrating etc)... I have ceased all talks with her regarding this as we don't agree.

Doc said she prefers to do the LAVH with me to try to clean up and tease loose the one ovary in hopes of saving both. Other doc said he thought the same, but cautioned it may turn into a TAH.

I'm at the freaky stage still.

Not sure how soon I will tell my 8 yo dd as she has OCD and tends to really wig out. I think the day before would be enough. Don't think my 5 and 3 yo boys will really care, other than I won't be there. Dh will have off 2 full days, my mother will help care for the me and the kids the rest of the time. Friends have offered to help with school drop offs pickups etc.

Reading here helps in some ways... but then freaks me out (you got that, huh?)

Done babbling...

Just wanted to delurk and say 'hiya'!

Thanks!

Roberta
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi, new here.

Hi and !
You will find a great deal of support here and alot of info. It sounds like you have been threw hell and back! I can relate to the non stop gushing bleeding for 4 yrs.
Good for you on getting many opinions, it must help, knowing you are making the right decision.
I know it is rough being in this kind of pain and trying to be a good mommy. I am glad your mom will be able to help you with your children, that is so important.
I feel 100% better after my TAH, it has improved my life so much. I hope the same happens for you. It is good you will be able to keep your ovaries.
If you ever want to talk you can send a pm or a e-mail my way.
Unread 10-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Hi, new here.

{{{Roberta}}} Welcome! Tanner is right. The women here are a special group. It's ok to be a lurker, most of began that way. Feel free to wander around, and make yourself to home. We are here to help! You may find some past posts about your condition by using the 'search' at the top of the page. Ask lots of questions you will find a wealth of info here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Hi, new here.

Hello bertalander. Welcome. I was "freaked too" when I first came here. Now, I'm alot calmer. Having learned tons of things and made friends, even sharing a few laughs. You will be more and more comfortable with the thought of having a hysterectomy by the time you go. I went from total fear...to "excited" to go in and get it done! I can't wait now! If you have any problems just ask someone or post it! Good Luck!
Unread 10-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi, new here.

Thanks for the welcome and the words of wisdom. I am learning bit by bit every day. You'll see me more!

And BOY did I get long winded or what? Sorry about that!

~Berta
Unread 10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
Hi, new here.

Hi & Welcome to Hystersisters!
I'm realy sorry for everything you've gone through especially with your last pregnancy. What was the final outcome of that pregnancy? Is baby okay? Sorry for asking but I didn't quite understand that part. I'm glad you found "Hystersisters" ...it will be very resourceful & you'll also get a lot of support from everyone!
Unread 10-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi, new here.

Hey there! I am 34 and a Roberta too! I had my surgery on this past Monday. I too, at first, was freaked out by everything that I read (not just here, but the web in general). I am new to this site, but I have got to tell you, I have found nothing but good advice, support and people who have "been there" and really care. It's normal to panic....this is a BIG deal! I am thinking about you! Sorry that you have been through so much....good luck and ask questions...it will make you feel better!

Roberta
Unread 10-29-2005, 01:18 PM
Hi, new here.

Roberta, all I can say is you have come to the right place. You will get stronger and firmer in your decisions as the time goes by. This is an amazing group. I feel they have kind of saved my life. I wish only the best to you.
Unread 10-29-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi, new here.

I've calmed down... well a teeney tiny smidge... which is a start!

Tommy was baby #3 and he did make it despite many warnings that he would not... it was a HARD pregnancy. Despite many other (mostly minor) problems his lungs collapsed at birth due to being without amniotic fluid for so long. Doc called us down to NICU about 3:00 a.m. to be with him that first night 'just in case' But he showed them all and was off the vent in a mere week!!! And home in 3 weeks. (Can you tell I'm so proud of him?) He's now 3.5 years old.

I read more each day whenver I can. This site is the best info I've found. Thank you all SO much!

~Berta

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register