LAVH in 11 days getting nervous!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH in 11 days getting nervous!! LAVH in 11 days getting nervous!!

Unread 02-18-2002, 08:37 AM
LAVH in 11 days getting nervous!!

I would love to hear from anyone who recently went through the LAVH. I have my pre-op visit next Tues. and am starting to become quite fearful of the whole situation. I have spent an entire year complaining and whining and now the time is coming near I am starting to doubt my decision.

I know it is all pre-op jitters but I would love any advice from fellow sisters that went throuh the LAVH. I do PLAN to keep the cervix and ovaries but heavens knows there is always a possibility things could change.

I've had 3 C-Sections among various other surgeries and for whatever reason this one is really getting to me the closer the date is.

Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-18-2002, 09:18 AM

Had my LAVH Dec 21st. I'm doing very well, no complications, not even very bad gas pain or such. That might be because my hospital gave something in the IV to get bowels going and then evey time they fed me they gave me simethicone tablets to help alleviate gas. It worked!

Ask your dr. for a stool softener if he/she thinks that will help you. Drink plenty of water and keep things moving. That gets rid of alot of the potential pain you could have from constipation after surgery. Also, walking helps alot. to relieve the gas.

I would be glad to answer ANY specific concerns or worries you have about the surgery through personal messages or e-mail, or if you post them here.

Hoping for your quick and uneventful recovery.
Unread 02-18-2002, 05:34 PM
Hi Sweety

Just wanted to you up so you could get more replies. I had a tah/bso so can't help other than say my surgery wasn't bad and got along fine. God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2002, 12:02 AM

Nan-
Hey-----Good-Luck!!!!!!! I had cervix and both ovaries out and lived!!! I had no pain at all vaginally and tenderness in the abdoman due to the scope! I had an ovary removed in July and had a small incision that took longer to recover from!!! I think you will be amazed, especially since you've already been through C-sections. I think you probably went through a lot more pain and agony with those. There's no trauma to your stomach muscles and I think that makes all the difference!! You'll do great and wonder afterwards why you spent so much time worrying!!! I can relate, I too was a wreck!!! Best Wishes!!
Unread 02-21-2002, 08:07 AM

hi,
to you.

You will be happy when it is over with. I had my LAVH, on Jan 16th and feel great and am back to work already.

I have it all taken out. From what I understand they always take the cervix in a vaginal hyster, but I could be wrong. I didn't care though because I wanted it all out and done with. I've had enough problems and the surgery was not bad at all. It was the bowel prep I could have lived without. I hated drinking that stuff and than having to crap myself silly was the worst.

Good luck to you. The waiting is the worst part of the whole process.

Sparkler
Unread 02-21-2002, 10:05 AM
Been There...Done That

I had an LAVH/RSO w/appendectomy 6 weeks ago & I feel like a new woman. The inital recovery time for me has been a breeze and I would do it again in a heart beat. I still can't believe that I have completely pain free days.

I wish you the best of luck and wanted to give you a as you will be fine and feeling a lot better before you know it.

BTW when they do a vaginal hyst. they have to remove the cervix. There is no way around that. I would really discuss that with your ASAP!!!

I had everything removed except one ovary, so that I would not have to go on hormones at the age of 24. If you need anything, please feel free to e-mail me at working_4_endo@hotmail.com

Please keep us posted during your recovery. Before you know it sweety, you will be a

Endo-Chic
Unread 02-21-2002, 07:13 PM

I had the LAVH on Feb 4th came home from hosp on Feb 5th...the first few days I didn't feel too good, lost my appetite due to anstheisa. However the following Monday I started feeling much better, and have done great since. The wait was horrible, I almost backed out several times, I'm soooo glad I didn't. NO MORE PERIODS....no more pain and heavy flow.
I am doing wonderful....still not back at work I have my post op on March 7.
Don't know if you believe in God and prayer, but I do and I know it works for me.

Unread 02-22-2002, 07:28 AM

Had my LAVH/BSO on 02/12/02 and doing just fine. Tired, but otherwise, doing great. I've never had a C-section, but from what I hear, the surgery that you are having is a piece of cake compared to a c-section. I also had doubts about doing the surgery - even as I scooted myself from the gurney to the operating table! But glad now that I did. These are all natural feelings. I, too, think that the cervix comes out with the LAVH.
Besides, if you have the cervix out, then you don't have to worry
about cerival cancer anymore. Originally I had decided to keep both my ovaries and my cervix. My GYN said that cervix had to go with the LAVH. After my internal ultrasound, found out that both ovaries were covered with cysts. GYN said that she could remove the cysts (hopefully), but because they are cysts (and nature of cysts is to grow back after removal), they would grow back anyway. So, decided to have it all removed. Very glad I did because the pathology report showed that everything removed from me had something wrong with it - even my fallopian tubes!
But, please remember that this is YOUR surgery. It is your decision as to what you want to keep (if you have that option) and what is taken. Only you can make that decision.
I ended up having 3 incisions for my LAVH/BSO. This is because I also had the ovaries removed & dr. had to make the 3rd incsion because I had so many adhesions, etc.. She had told me prior to surgery that a 3rd incison might be needed. If she couldn't get everything with 3 incisions, then she would have to do the abdominal/bikini cut. I was grateful to find that I had 3 incisions when I woke up. I definitley think that the LAVH is the way to go. My abdomen muscles were not that sore at all - very minimal pain, in my opinion. I walked the hospital hallways all the time in order to get rid of the gas they injected. I think that you'll do fine though. If you want any detailed info, just email me, okay ?
Take care,
Dawn

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register