Is this 'swelly belly'? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this 'swelly belly'? Is this 'swelly belly'?

Unread 05-22-2009, 12:33 AM
Is this 'swelly belly'?

I had a (I hope I get this right) Laparoscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy on 4/29 and I might have what everyone on the site refers to as 'swelly belly' but I wanted to make sure that's what I'm dealing with.
I have a small incision (3/4 inch) in my belly button and two small pelvic incisions (same size). My belly is swollen below the belly button and above the pelvis and is so bad that nothing with a waistband fits...at all (very frustrating and embarrassing).
Some bleeding (vaginally, not from incisions) but my doctor warned me this would happen.
Is 3 weeks post-op too late for all of this to be going on?
Sorry if my questions seem naive or repetitive based on what might already have been posted, but I'm new to the site and haven't really come across my same definition of swelly button (I'll keep looking and cross my fingers that all is normal).
Thank you so much for any information you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2009, 01:24 AM
Re: Is this 'swelly belly'?

Welcome to the site! I had the same procedure and was bleeding (lightly) for 4 weeks. As long as you aren't filling up a pad in an hour or less, it's normal and ok.

Sounds like swelly belly for sure to me. I still have it at almost 5 weeks post op. Using some sort of abdominal support will help to minimize the swelling. It definitely makes it hard to wear your regular clothes. I have been wearing sweats and scrub pants since my surgery.

You sound like you are progressing normally (from my experience). I hope that your recovery speeds along in the next week like mine did. I almost feel like my old self again.

Best Wishes!
Unread 05-22-2009, 10:20 AM

Thank you so much for the info, kjambug! Really happy to hear this is all normal.

Do you happen to have any recommendations for the abdominal support you mentioned?

Thanks again and I hope you continue to feel better every single day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-22-2009, 10:31 AM

I am so glad that I was able to help :-)

I have been wearing Granny Panties with the tummy panel (that almost come up to my bra) lol . That has helped ALOT. I am about to start interviewing so I ordered an abdominal support binder from the HysterSisters store......I think that it will probably help me get into my business suits a little more easily. My job is moving out of state (at the worst possible time) so I have to start interviewing at barely 6 weeks post op. Yuck!

Here is the link to the one I'm going to try. It should arrive in a few days. I'll let you know how it works.
https://www.hystersisters.com/xcart/...5&cat=0&page=1

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
Unread 05-22-2009, 01:43 PM

@kjambug: I have a question regarding the abdominal binder. I just received them but I don't know how to wear it? Where is is supposed to be closed, at the front or at the back? The stretch part is this supposed to cover the belly?

I had LAVH and my belly looks like swelly belly, too. I also just wear gym pants right now...

Thanks for your advise :-)
Unread 05-22-2009, 02:07 PM

I haven't gotten mine yet, but I would think that you would want the stretchy part on your belly and close it in the back. Hopefully someone who already has one will jump in and tell us for sure though! :-)
Unread 05-22-2009, 02:20 PM

Hi kjambug,

I also think to wear the stretchy part at the belly and hope that someone can give us a hint :-)
Unread 05-22-2009, 02:41 PM

I have been wearing mine for about 3 weeks now and it sure has helped me a lot... The stretchy part goes over the incision site and it closes in back... Make it as snug as is comfortable for you... I went back to work at 4 weeks post op and on the couple of days I forgot to put on the binder I had more swelling and aches at the end of the day...
Good luck to you!
Unread 05-22-2009, 03:18 PM

Hello Hyster09,

thanks a lot for that info. I will go back to work Tuesday after Memorial Day, and I will be happy to wear it :-)
Unread 05-23-2009, 08:21 AM

Yes - I LOVE the binder - I don't know if oyu guys also got the swelly belly thing from this site that you put in the fridge or freezer- it is wonderful, after I go walk or have a long day- it is SO awesome to put that cold pack on my stomach. It also really helps with the swelling!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register