Keep the ovaries????or not! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep the ovaries????or not! Keep the ovaries????or not!

Unread 06-15-2001, 06:34 AM
There *is* a chance that you can get ovarian-cancer post oophorectomy...

What Karolyn (and Dr. Love) is referring to is something called ovarian remnant syndrome - post hyst/bso - tiny bits can be left behind and they have just as much of a chance of becoming cancerous as the ovary itself. She's not saying that your ovarian risk is not cut by removing the ovaries, but that it is ridiculous to cut the risk by removing perfectly healthy organs - and that the ovarian remnant syndrome is never addressed (which can become cancerious and IS much less likely to happen than ovarian cancer itself). To me, it's like saying "remove your breasts so you don't get breast cancer". The chances of getting breast cancer are much higher than ovarian cancer - but ovarian cancer is more deadly. If you have a family history of ovarian cancer, then it might be something you want to consider, but make sure that you know the implications of that (oophorectomy). There ARE implications and make sure that the person who's giving you advice "It's okay honey, it's like having your appendix removed" has actually HAD it done, has no monetary stake in the situation, and is at least 1 year post op. The hormonal implications of oophorectomy don't show up usually in the first few weeks as it take time for hormonal stores to deplete. The implications include vaginal atrophy (even with hrt in a some cases), higher risks of osteoporosis, heart disease...and the list goes on. To find out more check out the hormone jungle here on this site. There are literally thousands of women who can inform you of the REAL implications - granted there are some women who don't flinch at all after oophorectomy and have no problems, but I don't know any.

Keep in mind that if you have a high risk of ovarian cancer, and ovarian tumor, or the ovary is otherwise "unhealthy" then the higher risks and inconveniences (some of them very significant) are a small price to pay for health. What Karolyn is trying to say (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) is that women are NOT informed of those implications. They're most often told that they'll feel much better after oophorectomy, and that's often NOT the case. Some women say that's when they're major health problems started. Don't take my word for it...RESEARCH it. Take no one's word for it - research it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2001, 07:22 AM
Keep the ovaries????or not!

Hi Jeanah,

I think Karolyn and Adrite have given you some good food for thought regarding keeping your ovaries. If they are healthy, and you have no history of ovarian cancer in the family, I would definitely keep them.

I had been hoping to keep both ovaries, but woke up from surgery with only one as the other had been rendered useless by endo. My Dr. told me that one ovary could do the work of two, however.

You were asking about PMS after your hyst. He also told me that I would have PMS symptoms, but that they would get less intense with time. My first PMS episode, about one-month post-op, was quite a whopper. However, since then, they have been much milder, and I can certainly live with it. I'm extremely thankful that I am still able to make my own hormones (the best ones for me) and that even after menopause, I will still have the benefit of a small level of hormone production. I've heard that it is far easier to supplement your own hormones than to replace them entirely.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 06-15-2001, 03:04 PM
more on the ovaries

Thanks, Adrite, for reading me right. Because I was responding to the Jeanah and Uffkedab posts, which were inquiring whether we think ovaries should go bye by along with a fibroid uterus, the answer as I see it is no. Just plain no. Especially in the case of Uffkedab, where oophorectomy would increase her already substantial cardiovascular disease risk due to family history.

But when there is a real chance of ovarian cancer, again, I have no idea what the call should be.

One wonders why there isn't the equivalent of the PSA test for ovarian cancer.

Why isn't there?

Have a great weekend everyone.

KN
Unread 06-15-2001, 09:51 PM
Thank-you Ladies so much

Thank-you all so much for all your information. Its nice to have so me advice from someone thats been their. I apprieciate all your comments and your viewpoints. It will help me to make a better decison on what i want to do. Know ing that i have good information. I feel better already. Thanks again. Jeanah
Unread 06-15-2001, 10:22 PM
I appreciate this thread also

I am certainly torn after reading these very informative posts. I really don't want to lose my healthy ovaries, but since my mom died from ovarian cancer at 49, the risk to me is not worth it. If there was no family history, I would definitely keep my healthy ovaries as I'm almost 43. Her cancer happened 13 years after she had her hysterectomy in which one ovary was left for hormonal purposes. I can see that I will be spending lots of time in the hormone jungle!

Thanks so much-

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register