Hysterectomy for menorrhagia? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy for menorrhagia? Hysterectomy for menorrhagia?

Unread 04-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Hysterectomy for menorrhagia?

I had a visit with my ob-gyn yesterday, he did an ultrasound and then did a pap smear to see if he could feel anything abnormal that may not have shown on the ultrasound.

Everything looked okay to him but when he did the pap smear, I started gushing with blood. By the time I was able to get a pad on and my clothes back on, I was feeling very, very weak. He had the nurse to take my blood pressure and it had dropped to 90/60, when it was something like 104/70 when I came in there. He wanted to do an IV for fluids because he said I looked very pale and that with the blood gushing like it was, he felt that I would need fluids anyhow. So, I was there for another hour, having an IV run through. In the meantime, he went on seeing other patients and came back once the IV was finished.

He told me that when I first came into the office, he was going to suggest Lupron, but that was only temporary and he didn't feel the need for a temporary fix when I needed something more permanent. Then he said that ultimately, he felt a hysterectomy was truly the best option for me because of the gushing of blood, instant drop of my bp and the pain being so severe (I was crying during the entire pap smear because it hurt so bad, I felt so embarrassed!).

He did mention that I was free to have a second opinion if I chose, and that he would get me the names and phone numbers of all ob-gyn in our town if I wanted to do so. He explained to me what would happen if I chose a hysterectomy, and discussed the pros/cons with me very detailed. I couldn't have asked for a better, kinder doctor who really took his time with me, answering all of my questions and educating me on anything that he talked about.

I noticed that it was almost time to pick my children up, and that with the pain being so bad, I didn't know whether I could truly drive to get them, get them in the car, get them home, etc... I called my husband and asked him to pick them up for me while I was in the room deciding what to do. I think that was my answer truthfully. When I realized that its only getting worse, and that I knew that I wasn't able to drive and pick up my children from daycare because of the heavy bleeding and being in so much pain, something had to be done. I told him that I was ready for a hysterectomy.

He wants to leave my ovaries unless something changes that decision during the surgery (I'm hoping that it doesn't!), and although I have had 2 c-sections, he wants to try to do a vaginal hyst.

I am scheduled for April 18th, so its only 2 weeks away. He did say that I would experience some light bleeding and discharge for a short while and then everything would stop. He has put me on Vicodin for pain as of right now and I have to go back Monday to have my blood pressure taken again to make sure its still not low but after the fluids, it did raise back up a bit.

While we were talking, he mentioned that there was a possibility that whatever was causing everything to happen would be discovered during the surgery or after.
Right now, I am looking forward to having my life back, being able to spend quality time with my children and be active again. I know that a hysterectomy isn't always the best option and it doesn't solve everything. I have come to realize that everyone will have their own feelings about having a hysterectomy, and whether it's the right choice, but for me, I feel I made the right one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-04-2007, 11:26 PM

It sounds like you had a rough go of it today but that your doctor was kind and compassionate about the situation.

As you are now scheduled for surgery, you may find the Pre Op section very helpful. And you can post any of your pre op questions there.

I wish you the very best! s
Unread 04-05-2007, 08:26 AM

Definatly get test done to find out what is causeing the bleeding. I bleed for weeks at a time, even on meds to stop it it doesnt stop iron is a big help ( i take chewable ones they dont make me sick ). I hope you get some test and find out why your bleeding. good luck and feel beter.
Lisa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register