vanity ?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-09-2004, 07:59 PM
vanity ??

I almost feel guilty asking this question, but how long does the swelly belly last? and what causes it? Im guessing the gases and such from surgery. I have worked sooo hard to get my pre child figure back( if I ever had such a thing, had my first at 15 years), and maintain it, I am now a size 8...down from a size 14/16- 4 yrs ago. Among all the other things there are to worry about, here i go letting my mind go wild on frivilous things....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-09-2004, 08:54 PM
vanity ??

"Swelly belly" is a term that we have coined for the abdominal swelling that occurs following a hysterectomy. It has been explained by the example of the swelling that occurs in our ankle when we have a sprained ankle. There is a lot of work done in your abdomen and some swelling occurs.

Some girls have abdominal swelling on and off for several months after their hyst, especially if they are on their feet a lot during the day. I But, it won't go on forever. Your tissues will heal, and eventually everything will return to normal.

We expect that at 6 weeks we have healed 50%. And, complete healing takes 6 months to a year. So, it is important to rest with your feet up and follow your doctor’s instructions in regard to weight limits for lifting, etc. Taking good care of yourself in the beginning of recovery will lessen the total recovery time; and, hopefully, swelly belly will not last as long.

Just so you don't think that situps are going to help - nope. Exercise will actually make swelly belly worse, until everything inside is healed.
Unread 02-09-2004, 09:02 PM
vanity ??

thanks fdor responding, i dont do sit ups now, and dont plan on it for a while..lol.
Although I guess Im going to have to really limit what i do, because i am the only one in the house that knows how to do anything..sooo we will see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2004, 12:24 AM
vanity ??

i'm 7 months post-op and still have some swelling in the lower abdominal area at night..i can tell its there due to my pants (even pj's) feeling more snug, though its not visibly noticeable to others.
Unread 02-10-2004, 06:46 AM
Re: vanity ??

Hi Missy I read your profile and I see where you are also having a TVH. I posted my castle story and perhaps you might like to read it https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hreadid=127760 Please let me add that I expected the same pain and discomfort as I did after giving a vaginal birth but believe it or not the pain and discomfort I felt after my surgery was far less. As most ladies...I lost 8 lbs. after my surgery due to the fact that I just didn't feel like eating however drinking plently of fluids was most welcomed because I had an unquenchable thirst. My usual eating patterns resumed probably after 5 day's post op but things are different. I don't care much for snacks now and I no longer eat anything late at night. I simply require 3 small meals a day and if I feel a little hungry...I grab a piece of fruit, an oatmeal cookie, a juice popsicle, something healthy. My swelly belly is going down finally! Before I found out about my "female problems" I did numerous stomache crunches and it was all in vain...I had no idea that I had a enlarged uterus...hence the "pooch" tummy. I go for my post op checkup on March 18th I'am definantly going to ask my Doctor if I can resume my exercise routine. I won't jump back immediantly into my usual lifting free weights, aerobics, nor pilates. I plan on starting out easy with my yoga *Denise Austin has a wonderful tape "XtraLite Beginners Yoga"*and of course walking. I beleive that it's all about attitude and if you want to bounce right back then you will. Best Wises to you on your up and coming surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register