To do or NOT to do ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

To do or NOT to do ? To do or NOT to do ?

Unread 06-15-2001, 07:38 AM
To do or NOT to do ?

Hi, I am new to the forum.I have been reading info from the site for about a month now, but only registered today. I am really confused to say the least. I am thirty years old and I have had endometriosis for about 15 years. I have heavy periods with a lot of pain.(that is not being controlled by pain meds.) As well as intermittent pain throughout the month. I have three children, but am not sure that my family is complete.
I have been on several kinds of hormone treatment (NEVER AGAIN ) as well as had six laparoscopies and eight d&c's.
My doctor is recomending a hysterectomy. I have loads of issues.
Loose the ovaries or keep them and risk endo flare ups estrogen=endo.
Cervix-is sex the same without it ?
Vaginal dryness already a problem as had a bartholin cyst removal.
Is sex still 'good'. At the moment it is not very, because it is sooo painful !
I am writing this clutching a hot water bottle to my tummy, counting the seconds to the next painkiller.
I do NOT want to have a hyst, the thought is abhorent to me, more a pshycological thing I think , but I want my life back.
Has anybody on his forum had a hyst due to endometriosis ?
( Dr strongly suspects ADENOMYOSIS too. )
Any and all input would be most welcome.
I post regularily on another forum for endometriosis, and everybody there is VERY anti hysterectomy.
Thank you in advance
Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2001, 01:39 PM
To do or NOT to do ?

Hi Lauren,

I'm nearly 1 year post-op. I had my hyst initially because of a couple of fibroids, but when the Dr. got inside, he saw that endometriosis was the real culprit...the cause of my uncontrollable bleeding and much pain. I had already suffered with endo for over 20 years, but I hadn't had a lap in some time, so the Dr. thought that after 3 kids, my endo might have simmered down. Actually, one of my ovaries was "glued" to my uterus because of it, and was causing horrible pain on that side for some time during my periods, and during ovulation as well.

I had planned to keep both ovaries, but the Dr. only left in the healthy one. I'm very glad he did, as I was 43 at the time, and not showing any signs of menopause. It started functioning again in a few weeks, and I was very glad to be making my own hormones. I know that estrogen can stimulate endo to return, but I have also heard that endo has returned when both ovaries are removed as well. Apparently, endo can manufacture its own hormones if a small amount of it is still present. For me, my hormonal health was worth keeping the ovary I was able to keep.

About the cervix, since my hyst was "total", the cervix is gone. After the first couple of times, I have found that sex is just as good, if not better, than before. My husband cannot tell any difference, he says. I had an abdominal hysterectomy, by the way.

Though the recovery took longer than I expected it to, my hysterectomy has given me my life back. I don't have to plan my life around my cycle anymore, or miss out on events because I must be right by a restroom for hours on end. I am there for my husband and kids the way I really need to be. I would never go back to how I was. Yes, I mourned the loss of my uterus, but as my physical recovery progressed and I was getting back to normal living, the joy of life truly took over!

I pray that you will make the best decision for YOU!

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 06-15-2001, 07:46 PM
To do or NOT to do ?

I had endo. and all the related terrible pain. I had hopes of saving one ovary - but as it turned out, both were pretty much destroyed by the endo. HRT has not been a picnic for me - but I must say that things are finally coming together. I have absolutely no regrets. Being pain free has truly been a blessing. And pain-free sex is a first in many years.

Good luck on your decisions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-15-2001, 09:40 PM
Endo queen gets crowned....

Hi Lauren,

I had endo for twelve years, and had four laser laps, four D/C's and three drug induced menopauses (but no partridge in a pear tree...hee hee, sorry, I always feel my list sounds like the 12 days of Christmas!)

I had a TAH (left ovaries) on 2/14 and can answer definitively:

Sex without a cervix, in my case, is great...

Pain free sex is even better....

I am riding my Harley and working full time, and not missing all the work I used to.

I was 38 at the time of my hyst and felt that I had researched all the options available to me, and tried most of the alternative treatments. I cannot take any form of HRT, so that is why I still have my ovaries, but I made an informed decision which I felt was right for me. I was not pushed into my hyst, nor do I regret it. I don't advocate a hyst UNLESS research and other options are explored...but in my case, so far so good. My endo may recur due to my ovaries being in place, but I also had an adenomyotic uterus that was squishing my bladder.

I figured 12 years of treatment was enough....it was to the point where I was having laser laps every two years!

Best,
Unread 06-19-2001, 06:56 AM
THANK YOU ALL

Thank you to everybody for sharing all your thoughts with me, I really appreciate it. ADRITE thanks for all the links, I am still going through all of them. In the mean time I need to see my doctor for problems with my digestive system, and I am sure he is going to bring up 'the hyst' again, he just can't resist.
I am taking vitamin suplements and eating very well at the moment, hopefully this too will help aleviate symptoms.
Bless you all.
Lauren.
Unread 06-19-2001, 10:10 AM
Hey Lauren...

I hope I didn't "blind you with information" but I wanted you to know as much as possible so you can make an informed decision. That way, no matter what you decide, you're prepared (I'm kind of anal that way though -) Take it slow and easy, and let us know what the doc says.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register