5-days post op and vacuumed...yep stupid!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5-days post op and vacuumed...yep stupid!! 5-days post op and vacuumed...yep stupid!!

Unread 11-23-2009, 08:23 AM
5-days post op and vacuumed...yep stupid!!

Stupid thing I did this morning.. TVH-5 days post-op and I feel “okay”. My husband left for work, kids are at school, so I started cleaning and I vacuumed, did a load of laundry, so on and so on.. I am now sitting because I feel like I did too much. My questions are.."What did the Dr do inside me that makes me have to be so concerned so that I can’t vacuum or clean house? Is there stitches? Is there something holding something together as to the reason I am not suppose to bend or move?”

I already know how stupid it was to do things so soon but it is morning and I don’t feel too bad. I only feel really bad at night. My stomach swells and I walk like I need a cane! I do not sleep at all and I flinch when I think my husband is getting to close to my stomach when we lay in bed.

I honestly know what I did was crazy..please don't tell me how stupid I am..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Re: 5-days post op and vacuumed...yep stupid!!

Hi Seymour.

Yes, you do have internal stitches which are primarily what is holding things in place until you heal. Part of you was removed and internal incisions were made to remove it. I read somewhere (maybe here?) that women who have had our surgery are more likely to overdo it and hurt ourselves because we have no external incision to remind us to take it easy.
I understand the need to be up taking care of things and the boredom. Just remember, we only have once chance to do this right : )

HUGS
Unread 11-23-2009, 08:56 AM

Thanks! I knew it.. my back is killing me now and I am already walking like I am 90 years old and its not even 10am yet. So stupid to think I could do more when in reality I can't.

If anything I hope this post helps others realize NOT TO DO WHAT YOU WANT but to listen to your Dr.!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2009, 09:06 AM

Seymour, now you can take it easy and be completely lazy with full knowledge that it is the BEST thing for you in the healing process.

I think one of the problems, in addition to what Sharon said about fewer external stitches, is that we are constantly bombarded with images and stories of people who do more than was thought possible. Unfortunately this doesn't work for this particular healing process. Less is better.

feel better soon!
Unread 11-23-2009, 10:58 AM

Ok, so now sit down and let others do for you!. No bashing, but remember it is a reason why they all it recovery. Now put those feet up and get some rest.
Unread 11-23-2009, 04:25 PM

seymour -

It may help you to check out the hysterectomy checkpoints to see what kind of a timeframe and things you should do.

Just because you don't have any abdominal incisions doesn't mean you don't have lots of healing to do. If you have the grit for it check out some of the surgeries and you'll quickly realize why you want to take it a bit easier video resourcse

and hope you are feeling better.

G.
Unread 11-23-2009, 05:22 PM

Seymour,

The internal stitches take 2 to 3 weeks to heal, the vagina doesn't promote good healing because it is moist and unexposed to the air.. That being said, you don't want to overdo it and vacuuming according to the doctors is a big no-no.. I had complications two weeks post op and ended up on two weeks of bed rest. I ruptured a vessel near my stitches and hemorhaged, it was not pleasant, had to take an ambulance back to the hospital and stay overnight to be observed. I was following my restrictions and have continued to because I do not want another surgery or hospitalization.. When I bled, I was feeling great, no signs of anything was wrong at all. At 4 weeks I had a follow up appointment and my internal stitches were still not healing. I do not smoke and I am an otherwise healthy and in my 30's - so things should be going better... Anyhow, I would as much as possible take it easy!!! Leave the cleaning to your husband, if he can't/won't/doesn't have time, it will be there when you are better.. Best of luck, take care!!
Unread 11-23-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIgal75 View Post
Seymour,

The internal stitches take 2 to 3 weeks to heal, the vagina doesn't promote good healing because it is moist and unexposed to the air.. That being said, you don't want to overdo it and vacuuming according to the doctors is a big no-no.. I had complications two weeks post op and ended up on two weeks of bed rest. I ruptured a vessel near my stitches and hemorhaged, it was not pleasant, had to take an ambulance back to the hospital and stay overnight to be observed. I was following my restrictions and have continued to because I do not want another surgery or hospitalization.. When I bled, I was feeling great, no signs of anything was wrong at all. At 4 weeks I had a follow up appointment and my internal stitches were still not healing. I do not smoke and I am an otherwise healthy and in my 30's - so things should be going better... Anyhow, I would as much as possible take it easy!!! Leave the cleaning to your husband, if he can't/won't/doesn't have time, it will be there when you are better.. Best of luck, take care!!
THANKS!! I do NOT want to go back to the hospital. I seem to do too much when I feel pretty good. My husband is hoping I go back to work next week.. I don't know that I can.
Unread 11-23-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauruslady View Post
seymour -

It may help you to check out the hysterectomy checkpoints to see what kind of a timeframe and things you should do.

Just because you don't have any abdominal incisions doesn't mean you don't have lots of healing to do. If you have the grit for it check out some of the surgeries and you'll quickly realize why you want to take it a bit easier video resourcse

and hope you are feeling better.

G.
Thank you~~ I will check those out!!
Unread 11-23-2009, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seymour View Post
THANKS!! I do NOT want to go back to the hospital. I seem to do too much when I feel pretty good. My husband is hoping I go back to work next week.. I don't know that I can.
At my one week follow up, my doctor would have released me back to work the following week if I had a desk job or a job that would allow light duty. I am in outside sales so I drive a lot and have lifting/carrying so it was not an option. You might be able to, but it seems that a lot of women go back to soon and pay for it in the end.. I am starting to feel somewhat normal, but still fatigue really quickly and need so much more sleep than usual. Take care!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register