How soon can I return to work after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How soon can I return to work after LAVH How soon can I return to work after LAVH

Unread 04-03-2007, 04:50 AM
How soon can I return to work after LAVH

Hi, Its almost a week since my LAVH and id like to know realisticly how soon i can go back to work. I work in Social Care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM

I plan on returning to work next Monday, 4/9, so that will be approx. 4 1/2 weeks out. My dr thinks I should be okay. I don't lift much on the job, but I do get alot of walking and stairs to climb throughout the day. I'm sure I'll be a bit tired at first, but I'm actually looking forward to getting back into my routine!
Unread 04-03-2007, 12:41 PM

Everyone is different, but I went back at 12 days for half days. I work behind a desk so it wasn't too bad. I didn't make it back full time until 3 1/2 weeks after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2007, 12:50 PM

I didn't go back to work until about 7 weeks post-op. I must be a slower recoverer!!
Unread 04-03-2007, 12:52 PM

My doctor will not write a release to return to work for six weeks. Other doctors will exam you at about four weeks.

Have you asked your doctor about when s/he will write a release for you to return to work? Many employers require a work release before letting you return to work.

Unread 04-03-2007, 01:58 PM

My lavh was 2/27/07. I am at my 5 week mark today (going into 6 weeks!) Yeah!!! For me, I couldn't go back to work until at least after my 4 week check up. The doctor released me at 4 weeks to go back to "life" except sex. That has to wait until 6 weeks. Personally, my energy levels did not start to return until the past 4 or 5 days. Just remember....everyone is healing differently. It doesn't matter what type of hysterectomy you have had; you still had MAJOR surgery. Be respectful of it and rest as much as you can. You only have one chance to heal properly. If you overdo it, you could be asking for more than you have bargained for. I am glad I took the advice of so many sisters from this website in the past 2 months (pre and post=op posting).

Good Luck

lavh 2/27/07 kept both ovaries
Unread 04-03-2007, 02:57 PM

I went to work 6 days post op. What a HUGE error. I am 4 weeks post op now and not feeling any better. All I do is rest before work, work and rest after. I wish I would have taken time to heal. I have a boss who said he did not want this to drag out......What a nice guy.
Unread 04-03-2007, 04:14 PM

I went back at 4 weeks(unofficially part-time). It was really rough that first week (backaches and exhaution). I wished I would have stayed out at least 5 or 6 weeks. I am in my 3rd week back and am going to try and do my first full time week. Anyway, this week the back is better but I am still very tired.

Good luck

Sherri
Unread 04-04-2007, 05:41 AM

Thanks Joyellen, good to know it wont be as long as id thought.
Unread 04-04-2007, 05:44 AM

WOW !! that was quick. Thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register