Ready but nervous | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ready but nervous Ready but nervous

Unread 11-07-2003, 04:24 PM
Ready but nervous

Hi fellow hystersisters,

Well, in just a couple of days, I'll be having my hysterectomy. Surprised to find out that my doctor does LAVH rather than the normal TAH (will be keeping my tubes and ovaries). I was very happy to find this out. Can anyone out there who has had this surgery help me out. Is there much gas pains? Did they remove your catheter on the same day of surgery or did you have to have it in for a day? Is there any cramping or any unusual pain involved? I have so much more to ask, but just can't think right now.

I'll be glad for any kind of input about your experience? Also, what type of pre-op instructions were you given? My doctor has me on a liquid diet starting Friday night. I also have to have three enemas prior to surgery, two on Sunday and one on the day of surgery? Has anyone had to do this?

Waiting for answers.

Thanks and God bless in advance,
Moonchild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2003, 05:21 PM
Ready but nervous

Relax you should be fine. Do all the pre op tasks that your Doctor has advised you to do.
I was concerned about a catheter mostly because I didnt have one before !! Its just normal to be concerned about things we have never have experienced.
At the end of the day I was so busy admiring the nice flowers I received and enjoying all the Hospital luxury of whats on the food menu and the yummy cakes for tea breaks to even concern myself with the catheter.
I believe mine came out the next day and I recall no real discomfort. I recall thinking as drips and stuff were removed how I got my independence back...like not having to take all these things to the bathroom etc. Hoorah !!

My dad told me its more of an issue for a man. So once again arent we glad we are of womanhood !!
I hope all goes well for you...as I havent had the same op as yourself I cant answer some of the other questions you had..sorry
Unread 11-07-2003, 05:37 PM
Ready but nervous

My catheter was inserted while I was unconscious and removed the next morning and it was totally PAINLESS.

As far as the gas questions are you referring to the Laparascopic CO2 that they pump in your abdomen? If so, I dont think I felt a thing from it at all. I felt a very slight hardly noticeable ache. Im not even sure it was caused by the gas. Needless to say it was so very minor it was hardly noticeable. I was just more alert to finding anything wrong that I may have even imagined it. I have read a couple of other girls who had minor aching in their backs but they were OK with it. My doctor told me she would do her best to get as much out as possible but that if I felt it would be in my upper back and to lay down to alleviate the minor discomfort. Its just caused from the gas rising up in your body if youre sitting upright....it discipates over a day or so. I asked my Doc about taking GasX and she said that wouldnt affect it any because this CO2 is not an intestinal gas which GasX is made for.

GOOD LUCK and wishes for a SPEEDY recovery!!! =)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register