Hysterectomy tomorrow 9/4. Feeling annoyed. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy tomorrow 9/4. Feeling annoyed. Hysterectomy tomorrow 9/4. Feeling annoyed.

Unread 09-03-2014, 05:11 PM
Hysterectomy tomorrow 9/4. Feeling annoyed.

Just a quick note to say that my surgery is tomorrow (TLH) and I have been talking to other women I have met (primarily at work) who've had hysts. Now I am just annoyed.

I have now talked to TWO people who said they were "back to work in 3 days" and never took more than a day or 2 off work (HUH???) and they were lifting kids and other heavy stuff with no problem pretty much right away. Both were TLH and neither of their docs even mentioned time they would need off work (my doc is saying I could need up to 6 weeks for a TLH and that I should be careful lifting my purse!).

I talked to 2 others (TLH) who said they were out of work for 4-6 weeks (one of them had a set back just from doing laundry). With all of the variable recovery times and stories, I am worried that I'll be labeled a wimp if I don't return quickly to work. (My boss says "take the time you need"). I just worry about my peers who will be backing me up. What if they have friends/wives who "recovered in 3 days" like the 1st two I mentioned. They are going to think I'm just milking the system.

I guess I just feel like there should be an explanation for WHY it takes some women "3 days" and other women 2-6 weeks! IT's really annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2014, 05:15 PM
Re: Surgery tomorrow. Feeling annoyed.

💜 don't care so much what everyone else thinks. Once your out of surgery you won't care ne way 👌🌸🐣
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:22 PM

All you can really do is to see how you feel and what the dr says and go from there. Hopefully things will go smoothly for you, good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2014, 05:31 PM

I think the 2-3 days is not realistic. I think someone's not remembering correctly. But just my 2 cents. I went back doing a lil at a couple of weeks, and it was limited. Very limited. See how you feel. I wouldn't lift though, that could set you back terribly. I pulled some scar tissue at 5 months and was back in hospital for a ct scan, please please don't lift before your released. It was very painful !!!

Error on the side of caution, doesn't matter what anyone says, follow your Drs orders, this is a 'kick your butt ' surgery ! You think you feel good and do something and can't move for days. Please take this surg seriously.

I had a person tell me someone had had a hysterectomy and I asked them and it was a tubal. Some people don't know what they are talking about. Please be kind to yourself and rest and heal.
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM

One of the best piece of advice I have ever received is "What other people think of me, is none of my business". What is most important is your health and well being, what your doctor's advice is and healing. What is the point of it all if you end up hurting yourself more because you are worried about what others may say or think? Take care of YOU, sweet girl. Follow your doctor's orders so you come out of this better and not worse. Best to you. Big hugs.
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:34 PM

Wow. It's sounds totally unreasonable to go back THAT soon and lifting too! I've heard better fish stories! They must be scared to go on without you for a while. You are having major surgery and it's majorly important that you heal correctly the first time .
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:41 PM

Thanks all.. I blame their doctors too.. I mean obvisously the 2 women who claim they were back to normal life in 3 days were never told to take it easy .. they were not even told to take off work! (And just didn't think to ask.) Mbye they did get tired, but assumed it was just lack of sleep.

It's all just so weird. I could never go into something like this without researching it.... and I guess that's especially true for Hysterectomies because my mom had one in 1978 (when I was 7) and I remember her being in bed for what seemed like FOREVER... (she tells me she was in the hospital for 6 days!)... so to me, a Hysterectomy has always been "major surgery."

PS: I will be following doc's orders. One of the women at work did laundry and had a 2-week setback. I won't let that happen! Thanks for the good advice!
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM

and PS: I will be following doc's orders. One of the women at work did laundry and had a 2-week setback. I won't let that happen! Thanks for the good advice.
Unread 09-03-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtn1971 View Post
Just a quick note to say that my surgery is tomorrow (TLH) and I have been talking to other women I have met (primarily at work) who've had hysts. Now I am just annoyed.

I have now talked to TWO people who said they were "back to work in 3 days" and never took more than a day or 2 off work (HUH???) and they were lifting kids and other heavy stuff with no problem pretty much right away. Both were TLH and neither of their docs even mentioned time they would need off work (my doc is saying I could need up to 6 weeks for a TLH and that I should be careful lifting my purse!).

I talked to 2 others (TLH) who said they were out of work for 4-6 weeks (one of them had a set back just from doing laundry). With all of the variable recovery times and stories, I am worried that I'll be labeled a wimp if I don't return quickly to work. (My boss says "take the time you need"). I just worry about my peers who will be backing me up. What if they have friends/wives who "recovered in 3 days" like the 1st two I mentioned. They are going to think I'm just milking the system.

I guess I just feel like there should be an explanation for WHY it takes some women "3 days" and other women 2-6 weeks! IT's really annoying.
You did not need that today. My daughters is tomorrow too. Here is the deal. If you are going to get SDI, it is up to the MD and you how you feel and how long you need. My daughter is self employed and is not eligible for SDI. We live in California.
You need to be concerned for your own self and no one else. You just have a great surgery and do not push anything. I had one in 1989 and I was a Pharmacy Tech. I had a Laparoscopic Hysterectomy. It took me a good 4-5 weeks to get my strength back. I had SDI for 6 weeks. By 6 weeks I was great. I had a very hard job then. So do not let to anyone except yourself and how you feel. Just the stress from all of that today is not good. Keep us posted (:
Unread 09-03-2014, 08:45 PM

Best wishes on your surgery tomorrow. Two of the most important things for your recovery will be to follow your doctors orders and to listen to your body. Your body will let you know when you have done too much.

Don't get discouraged or let others send you on a guilt trip concerning going back to work. I talked my doctor into letting me return at two weeks but I quickly found out I couldn't do it. I went back part time at three. Many of your fellow sisters don't go back until 6 weeks.

Rest well and we will see you on the other side of your surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register