any old broads like me out there having surgery? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

any old broads like me out there having surgery? any old broads like me out there having surgery?

Unread 10-09-2002, 05:55 AM
United We Stand!!

Mary Alice,

I just talked with my GYN yesterday with my hundred questions and it seems that if I don't have this surgery, I am in for even more problems later on down the road. So figure I may as well go and have it done while I am a young 64!! I have to admit that I am scared, as I have never had any surgery, other than the procedure for having stents placed in the artery to the heart. Didn't have much time to get too scared on that one, but the waiting on this hyster is gonna be tough. Sure glad we have this place to come to.

Mine will be a LAVH, which seems so much better as far as recovery period, etc.

Good luck.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-09-2002, 04:40 PM
0ld broad saw surgeon!

Hi to all,

Surgeon visit was sort of perplexing; he spent the first half asking why I wanted the surgery and telling me all the risks, and trying to talk me into having a D&C first!! I was about ready to get up and run out when he did a complete turn around, and said he understood my concerns about being at high risk for uterine cancer, and he could do a D&C during the hysterectomy and have a general surgeon on hand to do lymph node dissection if necessary!!! Now I am questioning myself and my OB/GYN PA who I have been seeing for almost 20 yrs.!! He finally said he could schedule the surgery before the 18th of this month and will call me tomorrow with the date. I am okay, I think?????

Maryalice
Unread 10-14-2002, 06:13 PM
another old gal

Hi everyone,
I've been visiting this site for a couple of weeks, but this is my first post. I'm 57, started menopause at 48 and have been on HRT ever since. On November 11, 2002 I'm scheduled for a total hysterectomy because of several large fibroids and a tipped and prolapsed uterus which are causing much pressure and discomfort, and bowel and blader problems. I will also have my left ovary and tube removed. My DR wants to do a LAVH but thinks it may turn into a TAH, because at age 49 I had emergency exploratory surgery for what turned out to be my appendix (which had ruptured nine days earlier) and peritonitis (sp?). When I was 32 I had a tubal ligatation; at 51 I had a bladder suspension (which I highly recommend-one of the best things I ever did!); then at 54 my fist-sized right ovary and tube were removed along with many spots of endometrosis, lots of adhesions and several small fibroids. Last year my malfunctioning gall bladder was removed, and in 4 weeks whatever else that's left inside me that I don't need will come out. Because of all this previous "interior work", I'm full of adhesions and scar tissue and am prepared for a TAH. I think I'd rather have him be able to really look at everything and repair/remove whatever needs it than to do a LAVH and maybe mis something. I have brief moments of near panic at the thought of another surgery, but I know I need this. I'm really galad I found you ladies - many of my questions and concerns have been answered. Still haven't told my boss yet, but I guess I'd better do that tomorrow since I run a one-woman office. Sorry to go on so long, but I guess I had a long and winding road to get to the castle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-16-2002, 06:29 AM
Welcome

I'm new here too. This site has has answered so many of my questions. It is so hard to sift through so much info on the net...most of it geared to "younger" women.

Well my surgery is "penciled in" for Nov. 7. I see the oncologist on Oct 23. He will decide if my gyn has the right surgery plan. She hopes to start out with the lap unless they run into problems.

Later, Donna
Unread 10-16-2002, 11:03 PM
any old broads like me out there having surgery?

Dmusicwoman --

Eve of my birthday -- bodes well!

Besta luck,

Marian Paroo (didja ever see Music Man...?)
Unread 10-16-2002, 11:49 PM
any old broads like me out there having surgery?

Hi redsand. I agree with you about the bladder suspension! What a pleasant difference to be able to hold some urine for awhile! I had one in 1973 at the same time as a tubal ligation, uterine suspension and appendectomy. I couldn't believe the difference after that bladder suspension. At first it seemed like I piddled FOREVER when I piddled but then it dawned on me how LONG I was going between piddles! FOREVER as compared to how often and how little volume prior to the suspension.

I also am thinking along the same lines as you are: if they're gonna go in I want them to have the BEST view possible of everything in there. Less chance for mistakes, more chance to get any and all "nasties".

Local gyn has referred me over to a gyn/onco, see him the 28th of this month. Am a little leery. Looked him up via a google search and he seems to be deeply into research, popular as a guest speaker at gyn seminars, etc. quite a bit of work published. He appears to be in favor of prophylactic oopherectomies (sp?). Our local phone book doesn't even list any gyn/oncos as such nor do our local hospital websites have a gyn/onco listed in the Physician References so I didn't even know we had a gyn/onco in the area! Just not sure how much actual PATIENT experience this guy has got vs research. He's Harvard, U of Miami, Northwestern (Chicago) and MSU (Michigan) so that looks pretty good. Just wish I knew how much "private practice" on real patients he's had.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register