Shaving-I just called my doc office | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shaving-I just called my doc office Shaving-I just called my doc office

Unread 09-18-2007, 12:35 PM
Shaving-I just called my doc office

Ok- I have not shaved my legs in about 2 weeks because it has been cold here in Michigan and I have been wearing jeans. I planned to shave the night before my surgery (tomorrow night). I shaved my pits this morning.
THEN I read here that we are not supposed to shave our legs before the surgery???OMG- I am a hairy gorrilla--no kidding my legs look like my husbands. I have dark hair and very white skin- so I look ridiculous!
So about 2 minutes ago, I called my docs office and put the question to the office girl---I asked her if I could at LEAST have below the knees. She didn't know and is going to ask the op nurse. She is supposed to call me back any minute. I iwll let you all know. I swear if I cannot shave, I am wearing leg warmers!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2007, 01:24 PM

I never heard of not being allowed to shave your legs.
Many of us have been told not to shave the pubic area because of risk of infection, and many hospitals prefer to do it there before surgery.
Unread 09-18-2007, 01:46 PM

I just had my pre-surgical testing this morning and shaving the legs was not mentioned. The hospital told me not to shave the pubic region, that they prefer to do it the morning of surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2007, 01:51 PM

maybe you can use cream hair removal instead.
Unread 09-18-2007, 01:52 PM

Ok- they just called me back. She said not to shave the pubic region (not that I would anyway!) but that it is perfectly fine to shave my legs! Thank goodness!!!!!!
Unread 09-18-2007, 02:03 PM

You might have been referring to a post I made where I thought it not a good idea in case you nicked yourself because it would make you more vulnerable for a staff infection. Cream hair removal might be better if you can.
Unread 09-18-2007, 03:09 PM

Be careful with Nair. I had a nasty reaction to it this summer. Chemical burns do not feel good at all.
Unread 09-18-2007, 03:10 PM

I shaved my legs the morning of surgery. I didn't shave my pubic area, but knew THEY would... and they did. And it itched like crazy as it grew back in. And it's been really HOT here in La, so you can figure out how miserable I was down there on top of the whole TAH thing. LOL! They only shaved the top of my pube, tho.. not the whole thing. Just enough that peeked thru the surgery opening I suppose. I asked one of the hospital aides why this was done since I wasn't actually operated on down that far... and was told it was because they want everything "clean" with no risk of hairs going into the incision and becoming infected. *shrug* Dunno how accurate that is, but that's what I was told. ;-)
Unread 09-18-2007, 03:12 PM

Not sure what type you are having - but no shaving at the hospital I was at! They said that was old school (thank God!) I shaved to the knee the day before, knowing I would not be able to bend for awhile. Best wishes and thoughts for you on your way to the castle! Tami
Unread 09-19-2007, 05:47 AM

Oh no, I didn't realize they shaved the pubic area. Arghhhh. Another thing to worry about.

When do they do it? After you were asleep? Now i'm stressing again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register