Just found this site- but surgery is tomorrow! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just found this site- but surgery is tomorrow! Just found this site- but surgery is tomorrow!

Unread 11-05-2001, 02:46 PM
Just found this site- but surgery is tomorrow!

Hey ladies- A few quick questions before I go under the knife: I just got a letter today form the insurance company stating I have been approved for a TAH/BSO. That BSO is both my ovaries isn't it? At preadmissions I told them I intended to keep my ovaries if they are healthy. Should I write my request and present it to my doctor to make sure he pays attention to my wishes.

I know when we spoke 2 weeks ago he said whatever I wanted but now this letter has me concerned.

Well let me ask this, at 47 keeping healthy ovaries is a good idea isn't it? No history of ovarian cancer. If my ovaries are putting out any hormones isn't better than immediate HRT?

I hope to hear form some of you. Thanks girls, wish I found you sooner.

Lila
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2001, 02:53 PM

Hi Lila!!
Welcome to HysterSisters!! You will find alot of information sharing and support here, both tonight, and when you are home recovering as well.

I am Canadian so I don't know much about your insurance in the States, but BSO is the removal of both ovaries, and my guess would be that they covered you for that in the event the doctor and you feel you do want them out.

As for keeping them, alot of women do if they are healthy as yes they do still produce some good hormones and may keep you from having to take anything extra.

Thats about all the help I can offer, but I am sure you will get more info as the night goes on, so check often!!
Best of luck Lila, and so glad you found us!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 11-05-2001, 04:26 PM

Ohhh yes , keeping your ovaries is far better than HRT !!! believe me I have been on both side of that fence and I just wished my ovaries still worked. So I would make sure that your Dr knows your wishes . Unless of course they are unhealthy.

A warm welcome to you and finding us a day before your surgery is ok, you will just have to read fast but we will still be here when you are a princess and recovering. Best of luck with it all and here is a big to help you through x x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2001, 04:57 PM

Lila, my surgery is tomorw also. I did extensive research on the ovary issue, and at 48, mine are going to stay if they show no reason to remove. New studies indicate they do serve a purpose long after the peri-menopausal state. If you do keep yours, do remember than the ovaries can be in shock for awhile after surgery, so dont be surprised on that. You can do alot of word searches here to find information quicker and more specific.
Luckily my doc gave me some anti-anxiety meds or I would really be a mess. I am terrified, but not unlike everyone else. SO im normal. Good Luck tomorow. Email me anytime, what is your procedure, etc. Bye!! Robyn
Unread 11-05-2001, 05:02 PM
Surgery Tomorrow

Robyn,

My surgery is also tomorrow! I'm leaving my ovaries behind at the hospital....and I'm "only" 41. But that is okay, I guess that I'll not miss them ;-)

Good luck to you! Mine is at 7:30.

Laura
Unread 11-05-2001, 05:06 PM

That was confusing at first...the two Robins posting back to back...looked like the same person at first!

I agree Lila...it is best to keep healthy ovaries! Unless they are unhealthy NOW...or you have an extremely high risk of cancer or a high ovarian cancer rate in your family...keep those suckers and your natural ability to secrete hormones.

I would DEFINITELY talk to your Doc in the a.m. BEFORE you are medicated. I was given a final form to sign...mine simply said "TAH" and I had planned to keep my ovaries. I asked the nurse...she said that meant "Everything Goes!" I refused to sign it...so they dragged my Doc down to talk to me. He siad "TAH" meant everything BUT the ovaries...and that they refer to the everything goes as a "TRAH." So...who knows? They all are so different and some are old schooling and some are new!

Best wishes for you in the morning!! I am so glad that you found Hyster Sisters! They are a Godsend! Next time you pop on you will be an official freshly punctured !!

You are nestled in my prayers!
Hugs,
Kat
Unread 11-05-2001, 05:10 PM
Hysterectom

Good luck to all of you! I am 2 1/2 weeks post-op from a total hysterectomy. Whether you keep your ovaries or not, take it easy and listen to the doc. I will tell you I am very bored and not used to minimal activity but I'm really starting to see a difference day by day.
Unread 11-05-2001, 05:15 PM

My doctor slipped a couple of times during pre-op appointments and said things like "Now, we need to discuss post-surgical menopause..." But, but, but.... I was NOT having a BSO (yes, you are correct, that's bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy - removing the falopian tubes and ovaries on both sides).

What I did was to tell him, the anesthesiologist, and the nurse, plus I wrote on my arm, near my ID band, that I was "KEEPING MY OVARIES". I considered writing it on my thigh (where they wouldn't wash it off while prepping), but didn't get around to it.

The phrase "TAH/BSO" tends to roll off doctors' tongues like one word, and they get in the habit of saying it, even if they are just talking about a TAH. But like I told my doctor, he and I both would be happier in the long run if he left my ovaries right where they were. He did. Of course, just to give me a hard time, the anesthesiologist told the nurses, as he rolled me into recovery, that they had just done a "TAH/BSO" on me. I think my exact words were "You're sh**ing me!" My Dr. and anesthesiologist both have a strange sense of humor, but they did a great job.

Be sure to tell everyone you see. Better to be thought of as a little silly, than to wake up to a surprise.

Best of luck with your hyst. I hope it goes flawlessly.
Unread 11-06-2001, 05:42 PM

Hi Lila - Welcome to hystersisters. Be sure and tell your nurse tomorrow that you want to speak with your gyn. before surgery.

Good luck...I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

PS - Don't forget your chapstick
Unread 11-06-2001, 06:08 PM
Just found this site-but surgery is tomorrow!

hi,ladies!! i was glad to find this site,prior to my hyst. it has been a godsend,even now,4 months(almost,TAH on 7/24)post-op!! when i went for my consult,after learning what was going on with my fibroids,back in may,she said that my ovaries were in good condition,and would stay in!! i was so glad,because i am hypothyroid,and having to go on HRT would really mess me up badly!! i am not sorry,now,for having the hyst!! no more periods,ever!!! had i delayed,i would be that much more miserable until it was dangerous to wait any longer. my uterus was the size of a 22week pregnancy!!! i feel a LOT better,now,and i've been back to work since october 1st,full-time,too!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register