Help! Scared. Do you think they will do a hysterectomy? Ultrasound/MRI info here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help! Scared. Do you think they will do a hysterectomy? Ultrasound/MRI info here Help! Scared. Do you think they will do a hysterectomy? Ultrasound/MRI info here

Unread 09-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Help! Scared. Do you think they will do a hysterectomy? Ultrasound/MRI info here

Long story so I hope you can hang in there. I didn't have a monthly period for a year. Then when my cycle started back up last October I bleed an insane amount the first 2 days. For example at night I wear a thick pad and the super plus tampon and have to get up every 56 minutes (and I am still leaking). I went to my OB since it had been 4 years since my last pap. He said my uterus was very enlarged and he wanted and ultrasound. The day I got the ultrasound I had a planned MRI for an ongoing hip/lower back issue. They found something in the ultrasound and took and MRI shots of my uterus.
I received the report today for my MRI and ultrasound regarding my enlarged uterus. ''Dramatic interval increase in size of the large fibroid (8.7 cm) witch has changed the orientation of the uterus.'' My uterus is 11.0x8x9x7.8cm I also have a follicular cyst on my right ovary. There is also some other stuff I can't understand since I don't know how to read the reports.
I see the OBGYN on the 29th to discuss the plan of action. So do you think they will do a hysterectomy? I don't really know what they do for this kind of stuff. I want to attach pictures of the report but not sure how to add pics (its my first post).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2014, 11:03 PM
Re: Help! Scared. Do you think they will do a hysterectomy? Ultrasound/MRI info here

They might recommend hysterectomy. But you have the right to research myomectomy or UFE or something if you don't want one.
Unread 09-22-2014, 08:05 PM
Re: Help! Scared. Do you think they will do a hysterectomy? Ultrasound/MRI info here

I think they will eventually recommend a hysterectomy. Your story sounds exactly like mine. I had not had a period for several months. Then my periods came back and I would have to use super plus tampons and pads at night and get up every hour to hour and a half to change them. I went to my regular gynecologist for a pa smear and pelvic exam in October of 2012. She said my uterys was enlarged and sent me for a transvaginal ultrasound and later an MRI. Both showed that it was enlarged (I don't remember how much). She then sent me for a C125 bloodtest which came back elevated (77). She then sent me to a gynecological oncologist who did my total abdominal hysterevtomy in June of 2013. My final diagnosis was endometrial cancer stage 1a grade1. Having the hysterectomy was the best option for me because my cancer was caught early so I didn't need further treatment just followups. I also had cyst on each ovary, endometriosis, and hyperplasia. I would recommend that, no matter what, you get a second opinion. I would also ask your gynecologist if he/she beleves that what you have could be cancer. If he/she believes that it could be, ask to be referred to. gyn/oncologist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2014, 02:22 PM

They will absolutely recommend a hysterectomy. This is OB/GYN protocol. I too skipped my period for more than a year only to get a period ( a doozy ) 14 months later. My fibroid had grown a little more than a cm during that time. I had a biopsy and pap. Both were normal. My problem was the fibroid. I had it embolized and it has shrunk dramatically since. It is my theory it is very difficult for natural menopause to occur with fibroids. Menopause reduces hormones which are a fibroid's life source. My fiibroid completely disrupted my system. After embolization I naturally have proceeded into menopause. Some may argue menopause occured due to misplaced particles however my ovaries don't indicate any impairment. I have 2 very healthy ovaries and a uterus that once measured between 22-24 weeks that is now at 5-6 weeks, at most. All bleeding stopped when the fibroid died. Monica1963 did not have fibroids so be sure to consider that when making your decision. I highly recommend embolization.
Unread 09-23-2014, 04:18 PM

My regular gynecologist believed,in the beginning, that what I had was fibroids, until I had the bloodtest. That is when she referred me to the gyn/oncologist. Some gybecologist also recommend a d and c where tissue is removed from thr uterus and byopsied. I chose not to do this because I was 50 years old at the time. I was not going to have more childen so I opted yo have the hysterectomy. My point is just make
that what you have is definitely just a fibroid before you decide whether or not to have the hysterectomy.
Unread 09-23-2014, 05:10 PM

I would think one of the next steps would be an endometrial biopsy. I was still having my monthly periods when I was experiencing my heavy bleeding. My uterus was very enlarged and fibroid filled pathology report indicated 16.5 cm X 9 cm X 7.3 cm. I was offered a few options( which were dependent on the outcome of the biopsy). My biopsy was benign and the decision for surgery was mine to make. Research as much as possible and if you are not entirely comfortable with the options you could try a second opinion. Good luck with your appointment.
Unread 09-25-2014, 03:16 PM

Thanks for the replys. I am anxious about my appoitment.
My fibroid was 3.7 cm in 2012 and now its 8.7 cm.
is it normal for a fibroid to grow that quickly.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register