Finally Alone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Finally Alone Finally Alone

Unread 04-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Finally Alone

Hello All

I had a total hysterectomy two weeks & two days ago in a London hopital. I should have rested a lot more when I got home - but had a 'helpful' husband around who saw his week off work as an excellent opportunity to do some DIY around the home - result ?

hardly any rest for me !

He went back to work this week and I can now stay in bed all day if I want to - trouble is I'm stiffening up more every day - dont' tell me I finally have to get moving and walk as the hospital recommended ? I was so looking forward to slobbing out ! When is the best time to get moving does anyone know ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 05:48 AM
Finally Alone

Well, I think you have to do what your body dictates.

My DD told me that he certainly did not want me bedridden, but he didn't want me running any marathons either!

I know I over did it the first week out of the hospital, and surely paid the price for the last week.

Walk some, when you feel up to it, and rest plenty when you feel like you need to...........even if you are not sure you actually need to.

Listen to your body!!
Unread 04-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Finally Alone

For the first 2 weeks I was a slug. I was amazed that my body didn't stiffen at all. I will usually get a crick in my neck when I lay down too much. I took that as a sign that my body needed rest. After the 2nd week I would begin to stiffen. I found if got up and moved around for a few hours then I could rest comfortably for a few hours. I am sorry your husband ruined those first 2 weeks but it could have been worse. I read on here that many husbands do not or cannot take any time off. My husband travels. He did not travel at all for the first 4 weeks. I went back to work after that and he began traveling again. That left me with trying to work and trying to take care of the kids. I really wish he would have traveled weeks 3 and 4 so he could stay home weeks 5 and 6. Oh well, he was great. I didn't have to hardly raise a finger for 4 weeks. I totally took advantage of that.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

Sherri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 07:01 AM
Finally Alone

Hi Lenaise,

Walk a little, just around in your house, several times a day, and that will help prevent the stiffening up. The extra boost to your circulation also helps you heal. If you have a flat driveway or street, you can go outside when the weather is nice, but don't try to go far.

I walked every day post-op, starting in the hospital. My "walking" was little short waddles in the hall at the hosp., enough to make the nurses happy. At home I walked in the hallway and around my bedroom. About two weeks post-op, I went outside and walked back and forth on my driveway, which I'm sure looked strange to the neighbors, but I didn't care. 5 or 10 minutes at a time is enough, and rest flat on your bed in between. I did this at least 4 times a day, and it really helped me heal quickly, and also to sleep better at night. One caveat about walking outside: if you have any weather issues, rain, ice, snow, etc., just walk inside. The risk of falling is not to be taken lightly.

In between your walking, rest, rest, rest, preferably lying down in bed, or in a recliner with your feet up.

Good luck.
Unread 04-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Finally Alone

Hi JaneVirginia and Lenaise,
JV I did precisely what you did; walked around the house, did as many chores as I could w/o overdoing. Dh did the laundry! (which is HUGE for him) but I was so grateful to have a few extra hands. I'm just starting to venture out and take longer walks - 7 wks post op. It has been very cold here in Connecticut for Easter weekend. That's New England, however, and all my life I remember having to scramble to find snowboots or mittens for the kids on Easter Sunday. Lenaise do some easy little yoga stretches with your neck and some deep breathing and that takes some stiffness away as well. I'm so glad to have this site to meet women going thru the same symptoms. I feel very good at this point, only dealing w/ hotflashes/ nightsweats - all total about 5-7X a day. Dr. will not prescribe hormone treatment; he's an expert and said stroke would be looming. No thanks. Hope you are well and that your Easter, if you celebrate, is peaceful and full of family, friends and good homecooking. All the best, yomiss

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register