Scared/Torn Cuff 9.5 weeks post op - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scared/Torn Cuff 9.5 weeks post op Scared/Torn Cuff 9.5 weeks post op

Unread 01-02-2013, 06:56 PM
Re: Scared/Torn Cuff 9.5 weeks post op

Ugh I feel your pain! As if we don't have enough going on..now we have cysts! I had a blood filled cyst that was leaking..
Xmas day was ruined by the pain and vomitingfrom that darn cyst. I go for a repeat sono tomorrow to see if the blood in the abdomen has been absorbed. Praying for an all clear soon!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Update: went for another check today and I saw an associate of my doctor. I feel like I am getting answers finally! We know now that intercourse was never going to be comfortable under the current circumstances however, it can be fixed!! Hooray! I am having a vaginal cuff revision on January 17th. During my exam, the Dr actually took a pic of the inside of my cuff and there was a large streak of fresh blood along the top where the stitches were! He explained that they cauterize and stitch during the hysterectomy and that sometimes that burned tissue just can't heal. So they will go in vaginally and re open the wound and cut the tissue so that it can be restitched and heal. Not looking forward to more surgery but I feel better knowing that sex isn't going to hurt or make me bleed (after my 4 week recovery of course)!!! I hope this helps others that are having the same problems! Good luck and I will update after the surgery!
Unread 01-04-2013, 06:15 PM

I read all of the posts with breath holding. I did not have the gut to google viginal cuff myself. Sometimes it make me dizzy to look at the bloody color organs.

So the cuff is supposed to be there forever, right? What about stitches? At my four weeks check, the gyn said there is some parts look fine, but there are some stitches down there, down where? Does he mean cuff?
Will those stitches be absorbed by our body?
During bowl movement, will the viginal cuff be torn somehow? I think I always try too hard during bowl movement because I want to empty the bowl as much possible.
Hope we could feel "normal" again someday.
Unread 01-04-2013, 06:27 PM
Scared/Torn Cuff 9.5 weeks post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglove View Post
I read all of the posts with breath holding. I did not have the gut to google viginal cuff myself. Sometimes it make me dizzy to look at the bloody color organs.

So the cuff is supposed to be there forever, right? What about stitches? At my four weeks check, the gyn said there is some parts look fine, but there are some stitches down there, down where? Does he mean cuff?
During bowl movement, will the viginal cuff be torn somehow? I think I always try too hard during bowl movement because I want to empty the bowl as much possible.
We all had to learn new terms it think! So t
Since the uterus and cervix are gone, the vaginal canal is still in tact and the close it at the top. It has now become a "vaginal cuff." I googled " female reproductive organ diagrams before and after hysterectomy." That gave results that weren't gory or bloody...just a drawn or computer generated pic! So if you kept your ovaries, they sorta float a bit hut are still attached. They cauterized (burned) the incision on my vaginal cuff then stitched it closed. Don't worry...they are self dissolving and usually are mostly gone at 4-6 weeks. Sometimes little string like pieces come out down there as they dissolve but that is normal too. I had no trouble with having a bowel movement but I took stool softener daily until I went for the first time after surgery. I hope this is helpful and praying for a speedy recovery for you! ((Hugs))
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meglove View Post

Hi! I know this is very worriesome- The cuff is the top of the vagina where the cervix was. When the Uterus and Cervix are removed it leaves a hole at the top- so the GYN stiches it closed making a "Cuff". Otherwise the hole is open to the body cavity- that's why it is a problem if it opens up. I am a <Removed profession> and it disgusts me that your Doctor didn't walk you thru all of this. The area is stitched with dissolvable stitches and it may take up to 8-10 weeks for them to heal- mine did anyway. You still have to be careful with BM's until the area is healed. I had sex at 7 weks and it felt like I ripped something open but,it was a cyst on the Ovary ( bad timing). I still have stitches that are not gone and have 2 more weeks until th GYN sees me again. Hope this helps, don't worry- it is rare for the tear to happen. Good Luck!
Unread 01-04-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu2013 View Post
Ugh I feel your pain! As if we don't have enough going on..now we have cysts! I had a blood filled cyst that was leaking..
Xmas day was ruined by the pain and vomitingfrom that darn cyst. I go for a repeat sono tomorrow to see if the blood in the abdomen has been absorbed. Praying for an all clear soon!!
Seriously-I had one New Years' Day and it has irritated me for almost a week. The doctor said because the ovaries "hang" a Cyst can pull them down towards the cuff, at least in my case and caused bleeding with sex. My retum hurt So Bad but it is finally getting better. Yep- 2 steps forward -2 back, I knew it would be this way but, I guess initial recovery was too easy.
Wishing you the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register