surgery for TAH becaue of endo/fibroids | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery for TAH becaue of endo/fibroids surgery for TAH becaue of endo/fibroids

Unread 03-07-2003, 09:15 AM
surgery for TAH becaue of endo/fibroids

I am going in on April 1,2003 for a TAH. The reason for this is severe endo and a fibroid tumor. My doc says he will start with a scope to see what everything looks like inside. I don't know wht to expect from any of this. Is the recovery very painful?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2003, 05:01 PM

Welcome to Hystersisters

While I'm sorry you are having to face surgery, I'm glad you found this site----there is so much information and support here.

I did not have TAH---but had LAVH/BSO (3 tiny incisions, instead of the larger incision from TAH---but just as much internal work done with LAVH as with TAH).

When I woke up in recovery, my pain level was no worse than the bad menstrual cramps I had put up with for so many year. My pain level was never above a "3 -4" (on a scale of 1-10). The medical staff are usually very good about keeping the pains meds going so that you stay comfortable. I was discharged home 27 hours after my surgery. I only needed the "heavy duty" pain meds for about the first few days---then switched over to Motrin after that.

For TAH, I believe the average hospital stay is typically 3 days. Hopefully someone else will come along here who has had a TAH and will give you more input.

In the meantime, keep reading as much as you can, and post any further questions that come up for you. If you haven't found them already, there is a lot of good info in the Pre-op Hints pulldown.

Pre-Op Hysterectomy Articles

Good luck to you!
Unread 03-07-2003, 06:06 PM

Hello, I had a TAH/BSO on Feb 4th about 5 weeks ago. I am having a very smooth recovery and have actually gone to work a few times to catch a meeting or two but not overdoing it.

I had my surgery on a Tuesday am and went home from hosp on Thurs pm. In the hospital I had the pain pump after surgery until the next day then went on oral meds. After going home I took the Percocet for about 3 or 4 days and then went to Naproxen 550mg that I already had for cramps. I only took those sporadically when I needed them but it was not often. The pain was very controllable even though the first time I had gotten up in the hosp and tried to get back into bed, I thought I would go through the roof. The nurse did not give me any advice and I just started to sit down regular and came right back up. But you learn how to kind of sit and roll to prevent excess pain.

I had internal stitches and steri strips on the external bikini cut incision. Now don't be like me and think a bikini cut means small because I thought it would be just a little horizontal incision but it is about 6 inches long. The bikini part refers to placement of incision not size LOL.

I have followed all the orders and don't think the pillow police have had much trouble with me. I would agree that my pain level really never got above a 4 on a scale of 10. It is very controllable.

The key is to rest, drink lots of water and walk. Let yourself be pampered and take it easy and you will do just fine during your recovery.

Let us know what other questions you have and we will be happy to share our experiences. I hope this helps. Take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2003, 06:10 PM
Welcome

I'm fairly new here myself, and I suffer from the same ailments as you.
I've had some u/s and LAP to detect the problems and they conclude several fibroids (1 honking one) and severe endo.

After some deep thought I've decided on the TAH keeping my ovaries.

I've read through lots of posts here and on the post-op board and many women have reported being fatigued and a little uncomfortable but not many reporting severe pain.

heh! I figure it cannot be any worse than what I've already experienced!!

Feel free to ask lots of questions here, there is truly a great sense of support and experience among these women.
Unread 03-08-2003, 12:47 AM
Finally made a decision

I am new to this sight, which by the way I think is just wonderful. Surgery set for March 21,2003. Total abdm hyst with ovaries and cervix removed. Due to adhesions and Stage 4 Endo. My biggest concern is that with all of the Endo, my Uterus is adhered to my bowel. The doctor spent about an hour and half answering all of my concerns and explaining the extra care he was going to take, etc. I also have a physical disability that is going to make my recovery harder. He has addressed my concerns regarding not being able to walk immediately etc. But, as the clock ticks, I am getting more nervous, actually it is 1:30am now. I found this sight so supportive and educational. Thanks everyone 4 being here. Best wishes
Zoey
Unread 03-08-2003, 11:09 AM

Hi!

I just had my surgery 13 days ago. I had a lot of pain just after surgery, but barely remember it due to grogginess, then they hooked me up on morophine pump and things got better.

I am so glad I had it done and now in my second week I am feeling so much better. I am sore, but it's really mostly a bruised feeling in your tummy. The waiying is harder then the actual thing. We fear the unknown.
Unread 03-09-2003, 12:16 PM

Had my TAH on 3/3...was supposed to be at 9:15 but delayed because of an emergency until about 12:45. Asked for some valium in the waiting area and received! Surgery went very smooth - I had an epidure and sedation rather than full general. Was almost wide awake right away and remember them showing me a picture of what was removed: two huge fibroids and ultimately, my left ovary as they found mass endrio wrapped around (unexpected). Had some soft food that night and they had me stand up and get to the sink to brush my teeth. Tuesday they took the cath out and I peed by that night. The worst pain was when the gas pushes out against the incision but once I knew what that was I just knew that meant it was time to stand up for a bit and try to walk! Discharged on Wednesday - the only time I felt woosey was the wheel chair ride out to the car. Had the last percocet on Thursday and just taking over the counter stuff. I have to say I am doing so great that DH thinks I am able to head back to work this week (I work with him). Might try to do some from home, but that's it. Hope all your recoveries go as well as mine is so far.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register