Sense of taste affected? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sense of taste affected? Sense of taste affected?

Unread 04-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Sense of taste affected?

Has anyone noticed a change in their sense of taste following surgery? Everything seems to be more salty, and foods that normally didn't seem spicy to me are much more so (pepperoni on pizza, salsa). I've also had a good deal of indigestion (burning of my esophagus / throat). Is this a common occurrence?

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 10:20 AM
Sense of taste affected?

I haven't noticed a change in the way food tastes, but I have noticed that my taste in food has. I use to hate veggies.....now I crave broccolli and cauliflower. I still love my spice foods but eat them in small amounts due to some heartburn.
Unread 04-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Sense of taste affected?

I just noticed that some things I loved I couldn't bear to even smell. Coffee was the most noticable, It smelled like tuna fish to me for a couple weeks . I still don't really want it and it was my morning comfort drink!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2007, 11:37 AM
Sense of taste affected?

Wistful - Yes I have noticed the same thing. Foods taste saltier and spicier than they use to. I was a saltlaholic so I guess it is good that I use less salt now. For the first several weeks after surgery nothing tasted right but now I'm back to enjoying the same foods I always have but now the have more flavor.
Unread 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Sense of taste affected?

I normally enjoy a glass of wine but after my hyster, all wine tasted bad to me. I tried, red, white and blush wine. I have not drank wine for 2 months now but it's time I tried it again.
Unread 04-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Morphine

Both Morphine and Demerol are the most commonly used post-operative pain medications and both cause taste disturbances due to how they affect the mucous membranes.

I'm experiencing the after effects right now. Nothing tastes good. Everything tastes bitter, astringent, metallic and generally icky. As the days go on I'm noticing slow improvement. I've been told things will eventually return to normal so I can enjoy my favourite foods again but in the meantime - bleah!
Unread 04-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Sense of taste affected?

Im having the same problems! Salty food is way too salty and spicey food spicey...Or has little flavor at all and other things likes some sweets arent as sweet or too sweet! and I love my coffee, and its not tasting right either!! AAARRRRGGGGG whats up with that? Im 11
weeks out you would think things would settle down by now!!!
Unread 04-06-2007, 08:57 AM
Sense of taste affected?

Thank you so much for your replies. It's great to know I'm not alone, and also know some of the causes.
Unread 04-06-2007, 10:28 AM
Sense of taste affected?

When I got home from the castle I could have sworn my love of chocolat was removed along with my uterus. I still like it, but don't crave it like I did before. I'm not sure I should complain.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register