Cell Phone & Tablet @ Hospital. That is all... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cell Phone & Tablet @ Hospital. That is all... Cell Phone & Tablet @ Hospital. That is all...

Unread 07-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Cell Phone & Tablet @ Hospital. That is all...

Had a SAH + saplingectomy (both) on July 9th. I took a set of comfy PJs, my tablet, my cell phone, and my journal. I used the cell phone during the day to surf Facebook and read Hystersisters. I used the tablet at night to play games and surf -- basically keep me occupied. I was never a good sleeper at night and I know in the hospital they come in and check you every 30 minutes. In my hospital, they come check you every 30 and every 15 they come in there to ask if you're OK and if you need anything. No lie -- even throughout the night. Yep, they wake you to let you know they brought you fresh ice water... I actually slept more during the day then I did at night.

Don't load up a bunch of stuff to take. You won't use it. I am a daily journaler and I didn't even have any interest in opening my journal the days I was in the hospital. Made a nice journal page my first day home instead...

Listen to your body! I felt good enough to walk to the store today which is at least 1 mile away from my house. We got about 1/2 way there and I could tell my energy level was depleting fast. I could have made it; but I'd be sitting in the store wiped out and uncomfortable on a bench. So we turned around and came home. No pain. Just tired.

Walk! Walk! Walk! Walking saved my life this morning when I was battling the pain of having to go #2 but it not being willing to come out. The more I walked, the more I was able to get out until it finally happened. Touchdown!

If you get sleepy -- go to sleep! It's a beautiful day outside and hubby was working on the car. He invited me to come out and sit and enjoy the day. My body said "sleep!" so I went to sleep instead. When I woke up, I was ready to take on that walk to the store. Rather than wanting/needing to walk and not having the energy because I didn't rest.

Everybody asks about sex. I'm only 3 days post-op so no where near ready for that. BUT can I tell you it's hard to keep my hands off my hubby???? Desire is definitely still there. Ovaries still intact, guess they haven't gone into shock so I'mma keep my fantasies going so they won't LOL. Just need to keep my hands to myself so I don't distress my hubby prematurely... Already had unwarranted crying jaunts -- no pain, no constipation, just crying for "no reason", so I know the hormones are influx but the desire is certainly still strongly in the mix...

Pain: Sent home on 600 mg Ibuprofen for pain as needed. Took them on schedule the first day/night I was home. Second day, I've only taken one once -- right before we left to walk to the store. That was a prophylactic for any pain I might have caused by taking on such a long walk. Feeling fine -- no pain. Will no longer take them regularly 1) because they cause constipation -- no thank you, 2) because they've got warnings all over the info sheet about the HIGH risk of stroke/heart attack with use -- especially if you've already had a stroke or heart attack. Well...I've had one of each and I don't need anything else helping me along to have another of either, so I will use them ONLY if ABSOLUTELY necessary...

This is where I am at 3 days post-op. Didn't want to wait until I was weeks/months post-op because then the details wouldn't be as "vivid". The crucial period IMO is right after the surgery when all the pain and craziness is going on -- not months later when things have well settled down. The crazies is what we need to share and I think the info should be shared immediately because there are women going DAILY to get surgery as well as newcomers finding the site daily. I hope this post helps settle some things for the ladies.

It is a lot. It is not an easy road to recovery. But it isn't awful either. My pain is far less than either of the 2 c-sections I had -- even the initial stand up after surgery. I absolutely HAD to take pain meds for those. I am doing well cruising along with basically none on deck for this. Listening to your body is key and not worrying about "if this and if that" is gonna happen. Listen and learn. Be gentle with yourself and NO RUSHING RECOVERY!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register