Too big for TVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too big for TVH? Too big for TVH?

Unread 11-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Too big for TVH?

How big is too big for a TVH? I was told my fibroid is 6 cm is that feasible? I"m going to have my radiology report from the ultrasound faxed to me so I can read it myself instead of being told what it says.

Cin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2005, 03:50 PM
Too big for TVH?

Hi! I have a 9 cm fibroid along with a 14 week pregnency sized uterus. I was also told that a vaginal hysterectomy was not possible. Just our luck the recovery would be so much better! Good luck and take care!

Cathy
Unread 11-27-2005, 04:18 PM
Too big for TVH?

I'm being told it is possible but am worried it's too big. My uterus is at 9 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2005, 04:38 PM
Too big for TVH?

Hello: I had a TAH and BSO on October 17, and my uterus was enlarged due to adenomyosis to 12 weeks. The first thing I asked my doctor when I saw him in September to discuss surgery was "Can this be done vaginally?" His answer: "I knew you would ask, and the answer is no, your uterus is just too large."
I can report that my recovery has gone very smoothly, for which I am grateful. My surgery was on a Monday, and I went home on Thursday. I was sitting up the evening of the day of surgery, and walking around the floor the next day and taking a shower. My only at-home set-back was a bladder infection which cleared up almost instantaneously with an antibiotic. I used Percocet only at night my first two nights home, and used prescription Motrin for the following three nights. And that was it! Tenderness, yes, but nothing that required pain medication.
Every woman is different, and every woman must make the decision that she is comfortable with. For me, a hysterectomy was what I felt I needed to restore quality of life. I have no regrets, and though a TVH would have had an easier recovery (as I have been told), the discomfort of a TAH was not unbearable -- and has led me to a much more comfortable future!
Good luck on whatever path you choose. Take care.
Unread 11-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Too big for TVH?

I had fibroids also. I was told they were too big for vaginal hysterectomy. My uterus was also swollen to the size of a 4 1/2 month pregnancy. One was almost 12 centimeters. I had a TAH on 10/11/05. The big fibroid weighed over a pound according to the path report. I had two second opinions before I actually had my surgery and they both said the same thing.
Unread 11-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Too big for TVH?

bohdi
not sure what the size is that Dr's decide what can or cannot be done vaginally. If your Dr feels like yours can be done that way thats great!
Unread 11-27-2005, 06:53 PM
Too big for TVH?

Hi Cin,

My doctor told me my uterus was about 11 - 12 weeks in size. I had fibroids and adenomyosis. He said he would try to do my surgery vaginally and if he couldn't he would go abdominally. I was able to have a TVH and did fine.

I wish you the best with your surgery and I pray everything goes well!

s, Deb
Unread 11-27-2005, 11:33 PM
Too big for TVH?

My gyn told me he doesn't like to perform vaginal hysts whenever the uterus is more than about 10 to 11 weeks in size. The only way to determine the size is to have an ultrasound performed. I received 4 injections of Zoladex and mine shrank from 14 weeks to 10 weeks.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 11-28-2005, 08:45 AM
Too big for TVH?

My endometrioma is 9cm. My dr says she could possibly drain it and remove it vaginally but she is concerned about all the scar tissue and being able to remove it safely. She is going to try to do the LAVH but isn't real positive she can be successful that way so I'll most likely end up with an abdominal incision :cry:
Unread 11-28-2005, 04:30 PM
Too big for TVH?

I was told by my Dr. that he would not do a VH do to my 12 week grape fruit size.. pressing on my bladder ...scar tissue... etc. uterus.. any way but. via AH. He did tell me that some Dr's will do VH when the uterus is enlarged. The reasons he doesn't want to do this on me is do to how he feels about other organs that could be being pressed on. Also, I am having rapid growing fibroids Growing fast and if I wait too long ..may have to have a vertical incision.

I trust this Dr. and know for me, this is the logical way to address this surgery.

If you are not in an emergency siduation, you could get a 2nd opinion. In your area see if some women you know have had VH, ask who the Dr. was etc.
All the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register