Anxiety Meds and sleeping bad - husband no help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety Meds and sleeping  bad - husband no help! Anxiety Meds and sleeping bad - husband no help!

Unread 10-25-2007, 12:41 PM
Anxiety Meds and sleeping bad - husband no help!

Hey Sisters,
Has anyone else had trouble with sleeping and had to take anti-anxiety meds (couldn't function without having 24/7 panic attacks) and not sleeping (sleeping 2 hrs each night for the last month). My husband is afraid I'm going to be taking these meds for the rest of my life and he's trying to tell me exactly what I need to tell the dr... "Need to find a long term solution for this problem that is natural and I'm only wanting to take these meds for a short time and not rely on them forever."

I'm seeing a weekly therapist right now and have to see a psycharist (sp?) next month to find out exactly why I'm having panic attacks and to see what can be done for long term. The dr who did my hyst has been wonderful and prescripe Buspirone and Lunesta. My hormone levels are normal, all my lab works is great and I'm not having hot flashes or night sweats or any real menopausal sympton and I haven't ever and today is my one year hysterversary!

I'm trying to be patient with my husband. He said he's worried about me and he's afraid I'm just protending to feel better so I won't worry him. Um....I've gone from not sleeping, crying 24/7 and not being able to breathing and feeling like I'm having a heartattack and 24/7 tremors and shakes to almost feeling normal.

Speckla
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2007, 02:14 PM

Speckla,

I've had 5 or so panic attacks since sugery on 9/11. I have lots of anxiety too, tremors and shakes. It's very difficult. I think part of mine may be hormones. But not completely sure. I take xanax when I have a panic attack. I've up my antianxiety meds to help. It's so frustrating. I so understand. The sleep thing is a big problem for me too. I take ambien everynight and sleep only till 3am or 4am. I wasn't on any sleep aid before surgery. I've had panic attacks before and that was related to stressful situations. That's the only thing I can figure out expect the hormone thing. This week the anxiety is a little better since I've upped my meds. I hope you psycharist can help you. Another thing that helps is deep breating. I do that a lot and it helps to calm me. I take a walk sometimes and that releives some stress. I hope you feel better soon. Let me know how the dr appt. goes. I could use some suggestions too. Take care you are in my thougths and prayers. Kathy
Unread 10-25-2007, 02:21 PM

My Dr. told me that my body had undergone major trauma, and this was the way our body dealt with it.

At 6 weeks my sleep improved, and the jerky shakes stopped.

Hang in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2007, 03:00 PM

I've had few night where I couldnt sleep. I told 2 2 benedryls that have worked for me in the past.......didnt help.The next night I took 3 benedryls.........still didnt help. So the next night I took a capful of Nyquil.It worked.

I have also did this,I read this somewhere and it worked.Take a HOT,HOT shower as hot as you can stand it.This will raise your cord temp. and in 2 hours after your core temp is back to normal you get really sleepy.
Unread 10-25-2007, 03:03 PM

Oh forgot........I also take Xanax for painc attacks.Right now my body is going through to much for me to start messing with Xanax,I'll deal with that in the future.
Unread 10-25-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetTech
I've had few night where I couldnt sleep. I told 2 2 benedryls that have worked for me in the past.......didnt help.The next night I took 3 benedryls.........still didnt help. So the next night I took a capful of Nyquil.It worked.

I have also did this,I read this somewhere and it worked.Take a HOT,HOT shower as hot as you can stand it.This will raise your cord temp. and in 2 hours after your core temp is back to normal you get really sleepy.
NyQuil, Benadryl, and Tylenol PM (same active ingredient as Benadryl) make me crawl out of my skin and I only sleep a little while and then I'm awake and feeling psycho.

I'm also seeking counselling for sexual and physical abuse as a child and loss and grief over losing my mother. There are things that just haven't healed emotionally and I think it's too overwhelming and my body was going crazy because I didn't use old coping behaviors (bulimia/anorexia) and I just don't know what to do besides take the meds and see what comes.

Thank you!

Speckla
Unread 10-25-2007, 06:38 PM

I used to have anxiety attacks for years. I was on XANAX for about 7 years. I finally saw this infomercial about 'ATTACKING ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION' by Lucinda Bassett. Sisters, I kid you not, I went through the program and I haven't had to take XANAX except when I think I'm going to get in an extremely nervous situation (which for me is when speaking to more than about 50 people). Basically, I went from taking XANAX 3x a day every day to now once or twice a year. I don't get anything from telling you all this (no way affiliated), but it's something that really helped me.

Another thing to consider is if you are hypoglycemic (low blood sugar). Hypoglycemic attack sometimes feel like an anxiety attack.

Also, vitamin B complex has done wonders for me with lifting my mood (as well as my moms).

I don't know if this will help you, but I wish I had this information (all of it) when my original doctor put me on XANAX back in 1991. It would have saved me an enormous amount of alienation and grief.

Showmestate

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register