Three months today and counting. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three months today and counting. Three months today and counting.

Unread 03-18-2001, 07:00 PM
Three months today and counting.

Hi. It's three months today and counting for my radical abdominal hysterectomy. Any suggestions or advice would be great! I want to enter this as well informed as possible. I'm nervous of the pain but excited that it won't be every month for three weeks at a time anymore! Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-18-2001, 08:53 PM

I'm so sorry you have to wait three moths thats crazy! I guess it will give you quite a bit of time to do some homework on it though. All I can tell you is try not to be so anxious. The waiting really is the hardest part. I had mine done last Oct. The pain wasnt that bad as long as I took the meds like I was suppose to. Hang in there it will all be over soon. If you have any questions at all don't hesitate to ask. I also wanted to know why you were having a hyst? I had mine because of endo. Tell us all your story!

Holly
Oct.23,2000
TAH/left ovary also removed
Endo
Unread 03-18-2001, 09:07 PM

Hi,
before mine which was also complete tah, I read everything in this site I could find, and I am still reading and learning. I had mine because of endo and adeno the pain that I have now is piddly compared to what I was suffering before. I would suggest reading the pull down menus on the home page, they were very imformative. If you have a qeustion don't hesitate to ask. good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-19-2001, 03:11 AM
What's my story?

I have endometriosis, severe dismenorhhea, cervical and ovarian cysts, abnormal cervical cells and a highrisk of cervical cancer because of DES exposure. I have suffered from my very first period 20 years ago. I've got my hubbie and my babies and now I want to live!

Unread 03-19-2001, 05:25 AM

Since you have some time before your surgery, you can seach the net for all the information you need.

Do you know of anyother ladies who have had the surgery? How about getting your list started.

The worst part about getting a hyst. is the waiting.

But, I found that this site is the best for any woman who is going to have a hyst. and needs emotion support and some humor.

Take care

Jerry
Unread 03-19-2001, 05:34 AM
Distract yourself

All opinions stated below are my own and are not intended as medical advice.

Hi AngieBaby

My advice to you is to do just what you're comfortable with regarding research, etc., then go do something entirely different and distracting for the next two months, at least. You can learn all you need to know in a fairly short period of time and to spend three months of your life focussing on something in the future is to miss smelling the flowers now.

My surgery was a little more extensive than if it had been a straightforward hysterectomy, and I can assure you that for me and for many others the pain was not excruciating. I know it's easy to imagine that it will be, considering what they're doing, but I think a lot of what they're doing is with body parts that don't have too many nerve endings. Of course the pain for the first few days can be intense, but it can also be well controlled. After the first three days many of us were on OTC pain meds and managed very well.

You certainly need to prepare to have recuperating time for the first few weeks, preferably 6 to 8 weeks. Not because of the pain, which will be minimal for the most part in a short time, but because there is just a lot of healing to be done and that takes time. You want to rest so you don't injure your fragile healing tissues.

What you can also expect, I think, is to be pleasantly surprised at how relatively easy this surgery will be. Of course it is major surgery and it's no walk in the park, at least not for most of us, but it's no horror story, either. Honest. The difference in what you feel from one day to the next is so dramatic as to almost be unbelievable. Of course that slows down after a few days, but by then you're able to function and you improve very quickly. Where at first turning over in bed or getting out of bed to go potty is an event, very quickly that becomes routine and the big events are the ones where you say NO to emptying the dishwasher or loading the dryer. If you have a SuperWoman cape, put it in mothballs for the duration.

Hope this helps. Please post specific questions as they come to you and really, try not to worry about this for the next three months. It truly isn't worth the energy.
Unread 03-19-2001, 09:00 AM

{{{{{{{Angie}}}}}}}}}

We're SO very glad you found us here at hystersisters. You've got plenty of time to do lots of research and get yourself, your family and your nest all ready for your coronation and return home. We'll be right here awaiting any questions or concerns that may arise in the process.

I had a TAH/BSO back in December for severe endometriosis. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my pre op fears were so uncalled for. My fear of the pain that would follow was unfounded. I understand that some women may have low pain tollerance, and was sure i was one of them, but they've come so very far in the management of pain. That subject is one you'd be well advised to speak with your doctor and your anesthesiologist about..... just to comfort any reservations you may have come along.

I was up and moving about the day after surgery. It was highly recommended that getting up and moving around helps us greatly on the road to recovery. I'd say I have to agree. I had a roomy at the hospital who wouldn't get up and move around and she was quite miserable. Fortunately, I had a pump to regulate my pain killers, and it worked quite well. I was sent home with pain killers, but didn't need anything more then Over the Counter pain meds like Xtra Strength Tylenol and Ibuprofin. I was amazed that I really had no pain to speak of, only some discomfort and achyness.

Plan on taking some pillows from home to make your stay at the hospital more comfy. I also had a small pillow to tuck to the side of my belly so I could lie on my side to sleep. The nurses will come every couple of hours to check your vitals and have you do breathing exercises (well, at least most will do that ).

Remember as your educating yourself that EVERY hyster is different. NONE are the same. You will write your own story when it comes to your TAH... and we'll be anxiously awaiting the story of your coronation. If you have any other questions or concerns that come up over the next weeks, be sure to post them here... and don't hesitate to pop in on the chat room where our focus is on Pre Op ladies and their preparation for the big day.

We loves ya and will do our best to get you through. :inlove:
Unread 03-19-2001, 10:10 AM
Three months & counting

I am also a new reader. I am awaiting my sugery date but know. I will have a LATVH due to cervical cancer, endo, and fibriods. I have gone through some fun procedures (that where suppose to be easy and turned into mess) for the cancer only to find that some cells remain in the canal.

In Nov of 00 I went for an exam to get the OK to start training for the Avon 3day Breast Cancer walk in May here in MA. That's when they discovered the cancer. I have known about the fibroids and endo for years but apparently everything seems to be growing very fast.

I choose to wait until after my walk because all the reasons I had for doing the walk still remained and since I have been dealing with all this junk for years.

I will tell you it is not easy training to do 60miles with all the pain and pressure from the fibroid but I am really looking forward to both the walk and the surgery.

I will be writing in with questions I'm sure but right now I am learning lots by just reading.

Thank you in advance for all the HELP!!!!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register