What to do in the castle? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to do in the castle? What to do in the castle?

Unread 10-04-2006, 04:58 PM
What to do in the castle?

What can I do in the castle while I am there, and what will I feel like doing? Can I have my iPod while in surgery?

Katie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2006, 05:50 PM

Sleep. Sleep. Sleep. I was only there for 23 hours and didn't really have the time or desire to do anything else. By the time the surgery meds had worked their way out of my system, it was getting dark. I had a handful of visitors but was ready to sleep by 9. I never even had the tv on! I only slept for a coupl of hours at a time. That's how long it took before they were coming in to get vitals or give meds.

Best wishes ~
Unread 10-04-2006, 05:53 PM

How long do you anticipate being in the hospital? I was in over night, so about 28 hours (2 of which were surgery and recovery). All I did was watch TV, chat with my mother and daughter, read the morning paper and thumbed through one magazine. In addition to taking walks down the hall. and sleeping. I really didn't fell like I needed to do much else.

As for the ipod in surgery....I doubt that they would allow it in the OR.....sterile atmosphere that it is, but you can always ask.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2006, 06:06 PM

Honestly you will probably want to do a whole lot of nothing. Unless they have you stay several days, there always seems to be something being done to you or you'll be sleeping. One thing I did make them do was let me shower. Much easier than trying to do it at my home. I took one both days I was in. You can't imagine how much it takes out of you just to do that. If all else fails, watch tv.
hugs
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:25 PM

SLEEP and WALK, WALK, WALK. The sooner you get out in that hallway the better you will be. The gas pains can be a killer, so the sooner you get it moving the better. Honestly you wont have time for anything between naps and walking, you will be lucky if you have a chance to make it through a People magazine. As far as the IPOD, I doubt it, but most likely you will be out of it before you even get to the operating room. I was awake when they took me into the OR, but I was out within 5 minutes only to come back around in the recovery room.. You could have the IPOD in your room if you wanted I am sure.
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM

Thanks ladies -

I wasn't really sure what to expect. I am going to keep it simple, bring my ipod with meditation and relaxation audios for recovery, and rest and walk.

Thank you.

Katie
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:35 PM

I brought my Ipod ( a godsend! esp to help drown out noise) and a word search and a magazine. I only used the Ipod. I did turn on tv ONE night b/c I couldn't sleep. I had a private room so this didn't disturb anyone. THankfully the Cincinnati Reds were in a LONG 16 inning game that night! *laugh*
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:37 PM

I brought, books, magzines, movies since they had a dvd player in my room. I used none of them. When I was not drugged up and sleeping, I was walking. I did have someone there almost every minute so when I was awake talked with them. And watched tv but honestly I was mostly sleeping the few days I was in there!
good luck!
Unread 10-04-2006, 06:54 PM

I'm sure you won't need anything in OR. I was awake as I was wheeled in. The next thing I know I was being wheeled into my room. Don't remember a thing of recovery.

The TV in my room had some relaxing music on one of the channels. That was the only thing good on, so I listened to that most of the time I was there if I wasn't walking. Tried to look through a magazine, didn't care much for that. I think the drugs make your mind kind of numb.

Rest, sleep, rest, walk, sleep, rest is about all you'll feel like doing.

The waiting is the worst. Make sure you rest afterwards.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register