6cm fibroid, can I wait? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

6cm fibroid, can I wait? 6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Unread 10-30-2006, 06:38 AM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Kitty suggestion if you decide to go ahead: Get one of the automated self-scooping litter boxes. I have 3 cats, and I only need to change the cartridge once a week. Another suggestion - look into in home health care agencies that usually serve the elderly. Insurance won't cover it, but for $14.50 an hour, it was helpful for the first few days to have someone there that could do light housework, laundry, cook a meal, or run an errand (since you can't drive).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2006, 08:34 AM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Jaynee1,

If having the surgery now is the difference between a TAH and a LSH, then I would say have it now. I just had a LSH with a bladder suspension, and not only came home the next day (the surgery lasted over 7 hours), but was able to go up the stairs when I came home with only minimal discomfort. Between my two surgeries (I also had a bladder suspension) I have 6 incisions, but they are all relatively small. I had 5 fibroids, the largest being between 5 & 6 cms, and my uterus was huge, but the Dr worked his butt off to do the surgery laprascopic. I have been bending, going up and down stairs and eating with no problems and I'm at one week. I'm not saying that it will be that easy for you, because I have no idea. But keep in mind that the longer you wait, the larger the fibroids and your uterus will be by the time you have surgery, which will limit the options that the surgeon has.... You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Unread 10-30-2006, 11:38 AM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Wow PattyAnne
7 hours! I imagine a big part of your recovery is/was processing all that anesthesia out of your system. My doc schedules the OR for 2 hours, and I think that's pretty standard for a lap/hyst. But good for your doc, or any doc that has the skill to do surgery laparoscopically. Recovery is leaps & bounds quicker.

Jaynee
You worry about "something going wrong". My doc told me she has never had to convert to abdominal, and I found that very reassuring. If you have other concerns, your doctor might be able to give you some reassuring words about how seldom or never he/she encounters unforseen problems. It can ease your fears if your surgeon has done the procedure a lot and has an excellent track record.

I don't live alone but my husband only took one day off - the day of the surgery (Friday) - back to work Monday, and as one of the sister's said, there is an up side to healing in private on your own - you can rest as much as you want, and not worry about your room-mate's needs or judgements.

And I found that although I didn't NEED help really, people really WANT to help and do something for you. Let people in your life know you're having surgery. Let them know your fears and concerns. And I bet they will come through. Don't limit your requests of help to women. A lot of the men I work with came by with food and offers to bring in firewood (I recovered by the fireplace), carry laundry, run errands, and were willing to take any instruction from me.

Wishing you the very best. Love, Janet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Jandybee, it is amazing the difference in recovery between a laph and an abdominal. I had the abdominal (bikini) cut over 20 years ago for ovarian cysts and endo, and the recovery was MUCH more intense. This was my 5th lap surgery, so at least I knew what to expect. All those surgeries added up to a lot of scar tissue. My surgeon was high fiving me the next day and kept saying "we got a uterus this big (showing me with his hands) out of an incision that big (pointing to one of my incisions)". I think he was just as pleased with himself as I was with him! A great Doctor makes all the difference in the world, not only physically, but mentally. I figured if he could work that hard for me, I could work even harder to follow his instructions.
Unread 11-06-2006, 05:45 PM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Oh dear....it certainly seems like you should do something.....so you can get your life back. Have you considered a Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE)? This is a non-surgical procedure performed by an interventional radiologist (IR) - you'd need to be seen by an IR experienced in this type of procedure to see if you are a candidate for it. There are cases of people having UFE and having fibroids such as yours die and begin to expel - at which time a GYN can remove them hysteroscopically. This can be a bit of a complicated case that requires good cooperation between a very experienced IR and GYN but UFE is an excellent option to consider for those who aren't quite ready for a hyster.
Unread 11-10-2006, 04:57 PM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!, everyone. After just getting over another period that wiped me out, I've decided to have the whole thing taken out and not wait. I have had enough of being tired, wearing diapers, being terrified of another flooding accident (yes, I had one at work!). The bloodwork I just got back have my numbers very low, single digits, not above 7. I have to take iron to build me up before surgery. I will see the doctor Dec 1, and we will decide then when it will be. I am hoping for the week of Dec 11.
Ok, stairs don't worry me now. And you all have given me good advice about stocking up on things and what to do about my cat - yes, she might have to go to my mothers for a little while (although I'll miss her, and she, me) but she's a little "stinker" and is VERY fussy about having a clean box. I may just look into a pet sitting visitor - didn't think of that - thank you.
Yeah, why wait? it's only going to get bigger, and it definately is impacting my quaility of life. Yes, I've had enough.
I have researched UEF, but I just know I'll worry about those little particles in my body migrating - yes, I know it's rare...but...I think I'll just opt to take it out and be done.
I want to keep my overies and cervix, now how about HRT?
What have you ladies done there?
Unread 11-10-2006, 09:50 PM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaynee1
I want to keep my overies and cervix, now how about HRT?
If you keep your ovaries, you should have no need of HRT. And do talk to your doctor about the cervix as fibroids have been known to grow there as well.

Best wishes to you for your upcoming procedures!
Unread 11-11-2006, 04:40 PM
6cm fibroid, can I wait?

I kept my ovaries, but had the entire uterus removed including the cervix, based on the reason Weiser gave - fibroids can be a problem again if you keep the cervix. My surgery was Oct. 3rd and I am feeling great. The best part is that my fibroids had grown so big that I lost 3 inches around my waist and 10 pounds! My uterus weighed 1210 grams versus a normal weight of 70 grams. I am so glad its gone and the heavy periods are gone.

Best of luck to you!

TAH Oct. 3rd for Large fibroids (50 yrs old)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register