catheter worries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

catheter worries catheter worries

Unread 03-23-2004, 07:46 AM
catheter worries

I am scheduled for my TVH on May 4th (3 weeks before DD graduates HS!) and my biggest worry is the blasted catheter! Crazy huh? I am NOT looking forward to that thing at all. I don't want to be awake when they remove it...like they haven't seen everything already,,LOLmy mother had a TAH in 1991 and she said it hurt when they took the cath. out. Am I being crazy or what? I am so glad to have found this website. I come here every day and am taking all this information to heart. I even told my gyn. and she said she might recommend it to all her patients to read on! Well anyone having ANY advice or anything,,,please post!

Supposed to keep the ovaries,but have mild endo,enlarged uterus and fibroids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2004, 07:51 AM
catheter worries

Hey don't worry about the cathether it really doe snot hurt at all the only worries I have about my upcoming catheter surgery is that I am very slow to go after and they always have to put it back in after for a little while sooo.. no worries it really does not hurt at all...
Unread 03-23-2004, 07:52 AM
catheter worries

I've had catheters twice (once for the hyst) and another time in the E.R. because my huge fibroids were blocking my bladder (one of the reasons I decided to have the TAH).

I didn't find it hurt either of those times, and I haven't heard too many complaints from others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-23-2004, 07:59 AM
catheter worries

Hi Magnolia - I had LSH on March 10th. I woke up with a catheter and had to check if it was there because I couldn't tell. I was glad of it because it meant I could rest without having to worry about going to the toilet. The next morning it was removed and it didn't hurt at all and literally only took a couple of seconds. You have to wait an hour then before you go and luckily I had no problems at all. So please don't worry, when the nurse removed it she didn't really see anything anyway. Just make sure you are relaxed and that will help - I promise I would tell you if it was a big deal! Good luck with your surgery, love and hugs.

Cariad
LSH for fibroids (uterus removed 10 times bigger than normal!) My story is posted!
Unread 03-23-2004, 08:01 AM
cath worries!

Hi Magnolia,

I had my TVH,TVT, A and P repairs on 3/15. My greatest concern was all issues relating to catheter.
They were unfounded.
The cath goes in while you are out. Mine was removed the next morning. It did sting for a split second because I had bladder repairs done,as well , as a cystoscopy after the surgery was completed. My roommate also had a cath and had no discomfort when it was removed,(her surgery didn't involve her bladder).
My task for the day after surgery was to drink lots of liquid and concentrate on urinating. I came home two days after surgery and other than a bladder infection, I'm doing well in the urination dept. I'm drinking lots and lots of water,cranberry juice etc.
Just keep in mind that 30% of women do come home with some bladder difficulties and either self cath,or have indwelling cath. Some doctors require that their patients come home with one.
talk with your doctor. find out what kind of pain medication you are going to have, either a pca pump or a spinal type. My doctor offered me both types but said that the spinal causes the bladder to be a bit numb and it would take a while for it to come back to normal so she didn't recommend it for me if I wanted to start urinating on my own sooner. Good luck, try not to worry. I cannot tell you what a worry wart I was. I drove everyone who loves me crazy.
Unread 03-23-2004, 08:02 AM
catheter worries

Thanks ruttie for the information! I have sooooo many questions and I know I am in the right place to find answers!! I am hoping for a speedy recovery and feel so blessed to have found this place! The doc said I will be in the castle for 2 days but they take the cath. out the next morning after surgery so I am going to be glad for that. She also said they will have me pretty out of it b/c of the Demerol....is there a better pain med to use? I would be intersted to know what others had during their casle stay! Well,,got to read some more info on here,,,will be checking back soon!
Unread 03-23-2004, 09:19 AM
catheter worries

I had myself really worked up about the catheter before going for my hyster. During pre-op most of my questions were on the catheter the nurse kept telling me that there was no discomfort
when they removed it. When the nurse removed it the day after she told me to take a deep breath and relax by the time I took my breath it was out and i didn't even know it. I also had a pca pump for pain which was also removed at the same time my catheter was and them put on vicodin every three hours.

TVH with tubes on 3-15-04
Unread 03-23-2004, 09:35 AM
catheter worries

It didn't hurt me when they removed my catheter. I felt like I always had to go to the bathroom when it was in but it wasn't painful or even uncomfortable. Good luck!
Unread 03-23-2004, 09:36 AM
catheter worries

I am relieved that the catheter is not such a big deal- one less thing to worry about!

Unread 03-23-2004, 10:24 AM
do not worry

i have had catheter twice, once when i had epidural with DD, and last year when i had urodynamics for prolapse. At worst, you get a slight sensation of needing a wee, for 2 seconds, then wow, nothing to it, no trips to the loo, with dripstand behaving like a supermarket trolley. the enema is more my worry, but had one of those before, so know what to expect! Just take it all in your stride, ask for painrelief, take sleeping tablet if offered and enjoy a couple of days rest. fran xx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register