Does my horizontal incision heal more slowly from a vertical incision | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Does my horizontal incision heal more slowly from a vertical incision Does my horizontal incision heal more slowly from a vertical incision

Unread 03-06-2006, 11:30 PM
Does my horizontal incision heal more slowly from a vertical incision

How is my horizontal incision different from a vertical incision? How are these incisions different from a C-section?

I had my surgery on January 6. It is 8 weeks today. Every week I get stronger. Today I went to my first stretch class. I was gentle, but still overdid it a bit. I can't do any ab work. Unfortunately, although I was busy and active during my recovery, I didn't do any stretching or even Kegels. Big mistake. But I'm bad at doing it on my own - I need the group thing where my favorite instructor is guiding me along.

One of my exercise classmates had a hysterectomy a year ago and she was right back at her exercise after about 6 weeks. She said it was easier because her incision was vertical.

Another classmate said she understood how I felt because she had had 2 C-sections. Is this as major as a hysterectomy?

What is the difference between a vertical and horizontal incision? Why is one done as opposed to the other?

I was really worried about adhesions. I had never heard about them til I found Hystersisters after my surgery. I asked my surgeon when I had my after surgery checkup last week. I said I had read 50-100% of hysterectomty women would have adhesions. I was particularly worried, as I had an incisional hematoma. I was found to be bleeding inside my incision when I was first brought to my room after the recovery room. They wheeled me back into surgery to reopen my incision and stitch up the internal bleeding. My surgeon apologized and said this happens once every 10 years. But that I should not worry about adhesions.

My surgeon is supposed to be very good. But I was rushed into surgery pretty quickly without doing any homework. My advice to anyone to whom surgery is recommended is to stop, get more than one opinion and do as much research as possible on your own. I looked to my gynecologist as an authority. But it's my body. I should have taken more responsibility for doing homework beforehand.

I didn't realize til booking my follow-up visit, that
my guy sees patients in his office only on Tuesday afternoons. And he books 5 minute appointments.
You can't ask a lot of questions in that amount of time.

I am nearly 55 and was already in menopause. No terrible symptons ( had those a few years back) except I don't sleep well, can't remember a darn thing, and get the occasional hot flash. I am
not taking HRT. Recently, though, I am sleeping even more poorly and am constantly all hot and sweaty at night. Does it get worse after a hysterectomy, even though I was already in menopause?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I definitely feel I now belong to the club of hysterectomy women.

Good health ladies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2006, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysoon
How is my horizontal incision different from a vertical incision?

What is the difference between a vertical and horizontal incision? Why is one done as opposed to the other?

They wheeled me back into surgery to reopen my incision and stitch up the internal bleeding. My advice to anyone to whom surgery is recommended is to stop, get more than one opinion and do as much research as possible on your own.

Good health ladies.

the way it was explained to me was if you had a large fibroid , it was safer to do the vertical, a horizontal meant they lifted everything up...sometimes they start a horizontal and due to complications have to do the vertical as well.
agree about getting second opinion.

so sorry to hear about your complications. my dr said sleep was affected by surgery and its effect on pituitary gland, who knows, i started sleeping better when i started hrt.

also heard c section not as traumatic because organs not being removed, hormones not being disrupted.

take care of yourself
Unread 03-07-2006, 12:42 PM

Hi mysoon,
I have had 3 c sections, 2 with horizontal incisions and 1 with a vertical incision. I had a TAH on 1-30-06, with a vertical incision, and I have definately been more sore this time than with my c sections. You have a lot more done with a hysterectomy, moving organs around, more cutting and sewing up, more soreness. Then you also have the other side effects to deal with, the hot then cold, things smelling weird, wanting to cry some times for no reason, different for everyone but a lot of the same things that we have all delt with. I guess the hysterectomy for me has been more to deal with than any of my c sections. Atleast with them, I had my babies to take my mind off of the pain, so it made it worth it! I am sure that this will all be worth it in the end also. Good luck recovering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-07-2006, 01:17 PM

I always thought that a horizontal incision was easier to heal than the vertical one. Because they cut so many more muscles in the up and down cut. I haven't had a doctor tell me this, but seems like I heard it somewhere. ???
Unread 03-07-2006, 01:41 PM

Hi Ruby45,
I don't think they cut the muscles - just force them apart.
Elaine
x
Unread 03-07-2006, 02:26 PM

Ive Had Vertical Incision Im 4 Weeks Post Op Ans Yes It I About 8 Inch Scar And Cant Compair It Too Other Cut But It Has Been Very Sore Getting Better But Still Burns Sometimes X
Unread 03-07-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISE ELAINE
Hi Ruby45,
I don't think they cut the muscles - just force them apart.
Elaine
x

Elaine, I thought that the muscles in the belly grew side to side which means that if they cut up and down, (verticle), that they would have to cut more muscles. Whereas with the horizontal cut they could go between the muscles. ???
Unread 03-07-2006, 08:51 PM

I just had my pre op today with srugery on the 9th. I found out that I have to have a vertical cut due to the size of my uterus and fibroids. Now that I am reading this, I am getting more concerned about the length of time to heal. I guess I will get better when I get better, but just not wanting to hurt alot.
Unread 03-07-2006, 09:08 PM

my4athome,
Just curious, how big were your fibroids / uterus?
Unread 03-07-2006, 10:11 PM

I have a six inch long vertical incision from navel to pubic bone. When I discussed this with the doctor I was told they do not cut the muscles, even though the cut is different. They basically just have to do more stretching, tugging and pulling. Therefore this type of incision takes longer to heal than a horizontal. The muscles are much easier to move with that type of cut.

Discomfort is usual with either. Feel confident that by getting the horizontal cut that you do heal a bit easier. I still have sore spots to the sides of my incision, which feel like bruises. At 8 weeks they are at their most painful, and I guess from the twinges and spasms that they are finally starting to heal.

If I had the opportunity to find a doctor who would have done my entire surgery vaginally I would have, but that's a whole other story.

Feel better. Each day is a new one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register