Scheduled TAH Upcoming surgery Dec. 15th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming surgery Dec. 15th Upcoming surgery Dec. 15th

Unread 12-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Upcoming surgery Dec. 15th

Hi, I am new here & am getting very nervous about my upcoming surgery on Tuesday! Maybe this is not the place to ask & someone can re-direct me, but I've had 5 previous abdominal surgeries & am worried about any problems with scar tissue, etc. as a result of being cut in the same place. Any info or advice would be SO welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Re: Upcoming surgery Dec. 15th

I had a full hysterectomy Nov 6.. but kept my cervix. I had 2 previous C-sections, tubal ligation...so I had scar tissue also. My dr told me he had to do alot of clean up of adheasions. Just takes a lil more time. Sounds like you have had more than I have, so imagine your dr also will run into that.. he did not cut me on my c section scar so went the bikini cut route, but a little longer than a bikini cut Good luck..u will make out fine.
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Thank-you summer_breeze for the information...makes me feel better I was reading about the risk of infection also. My dr. said they will be giving me a dose of anti-biotics before the surgery but I am still worried about that & also the risk of my incision opening back up. Is this normal to be worried about all these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-11-2009, 06:06 PM

Of course its normal to be wondering about all these things. I had originally went in for a LAVH... but once in there they could not do mine that way, I had a ovarian mass and it had attached itself to the wall of my uterus and also to my bowel...so they told my husband that they needed to open me...all went well.. very well. First few days are hardest...you will do just fine. I am 52..actually turned 52 the week of my surgery..what a b-day present huh? LOL I also have a little extra weight on me so that was against me...like 50 lbs. So having that tummy hanging where the incision went was hard on me, but all worked out. I had surgery on a friday, come home on sunday..went to dr office tues and had staples out. I had 10 days out from surgery a gap that had opened small so kept it clean , very clean and bandaged and it was doing well... then went for another check up and the dr did not like how my skin had looked under, had a area where it looked like it had been burned, in other words the skin like died..so his option to me to speed up recovery was to numb me up and removed all that area and stitch me up.. so I trusted him totally so that is what I had done, come home 10 stitches that day.. left those in a week and am good as new there now...so little things seem like a lot..but they all work out..Please keep in touch and let me know how you are doing as your day is nearing Best of luck to you... remember we are the hyster sisters
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:23 PM

It is definitely normal to be worried about the surgery. I was really scared before because when I originally was diagnosed with endometriosis they said surgery wasn't an option because of adhesions and scarring. It worked out well for me so I will hope that you have the same results. I'm sure your doctor has looked at everything and is considering all the possible problems. Before you know it, you will be on the other side and hopefully able to say that all the worries were nothing. But yes it is normal to be nervous. Sending lots of hugs and best wishes
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:40 PM

How wonderful to have this support...thank-you SO much, guys I too, am 52 and just wanting to get this over with! Family history of ovarian cancer & complex cyst on 1 ovary. I am still trying to find my way thru this web site & hoping I am not posting the wrong thing on the wrong site!!
Unread 12-11-2009, 06:54 PM

I had a SAH BSO six weeks ago. I previously had three c-sections and as a result, there were a lot of adhesions between my uterus and bladder so the surgeon had to spend a bit more time in order to free up my bladder. All went fine. My incision was along the lines of the original scar which was cut out during this surgery. I was given IV antibiotics during surgery and throughout the day after.

It's understandable to be nervous and you're doing the best thing you can - asking questions. This site and the women who share on it are a wonderful resource. I wish I had found it before my surgery.

Good luck and best wishes. We're all here for you.
Unread 12-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Noel1,
we are all here for you. Please don't ever hesitate to ask questions. It is one way to help you prepare for the surgery and the more information you have, the better. We have all been there before where we were nervous about the surgery so can sympathize with you. Sending lots of best wishes and hugs to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register