Scheduled LAVH How many of you have complex hyperplasia with moderate atypia | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How many of you have complex hyperplasia with moderate atypia How many of you have complex hyperplasia with moderate atypia

Unread 08-26-2013, 11:35 AM
How many of you have complex hyperplasia with moderate atypia

Does anyone have complex hyperplasia with moderate atypia? What was your outcome. I had no symptoms at all. I was doing well being in menopause and on HRT that they tested my blood work every 6 months to measure everything's in balance. I ended up having major pain and it turned out I needed emergency surgery out of state BSO. The cysts had twisted the ovaries and killed them. Doctor was very surprised from the size of the cysts on both ovaries that I didn't have any pain nor any bleeding. During the procedures they noticed the think lining and so this was the diagnosis I received. How many of you have this and what is the percentage of their actually being cancer Siberia the biopsies are so small?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Re: How many of you have complex hyperplasia with moderate atypia

I had complex hyperplasia with focal atypia. Also, no symptoms of anything - it was found because of a MRI done for a herniated disk! Thankfully, the pathology during and after surgery found No cancer (yay, happy dance!) - just hyperplasia, more polyps, a degenerative fibroid and a cyst. I had other risk factors as well. PCOS, polyps, weight issues, never had children, just entered menapause (at the age of 47!) and my Mom and one of my sisters had uterine cancer, so the odds were good that it would turn to worse if I didn't have the surgery. I'm glad I had the surgery - it gave me a sense of peace that I had one less thing to worry about. I'm back to enjoy Life!

One question for you...are you seeing a Gynecology Oncologist? If not, I would recommend it as they are the best in the knowledge of Female cancers and pre-cancers. I'm glad I traveled the 2 hours one way to see the one that did my surgery. Gave me assurance I was doing the right thing.

Take care and good luck!
Unread 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM

I had complex hyperplasia with atypia. I don't know if there was a "moderate" or anything to the atypia. They called it "pre-cancerous cells" and did a hysteroscopy with d&c 3 months before my hysterectomy. At the time of the hysteroscopy (where they get a lot more lining than with a typical biopsy) they noticed no cancerous cells. By the time I had my surgery, there was a small amount of cancer. Whether it existed already or whether it grew in 3 months we have no way to know. Fortunately you are having your surgery soon, and you will find out.

The good news is that my cancer was "well differentiated" and they were able to get everything simply by performing the hysterectomy. No need to even check the lymph nodes. Fortunately, it looks like you are having your surgery very soon, and there won't be a chance for anything to really grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-26-2013, 12:23 PM

I have complex hyperplasia with atypia that was found during a dnc, hysteroscope and ablation July 5. I've gone for two opinions and both say hysterectomy because due to the scarring from the ablation there is no way to have accurate biopsies in the future. Just got my new hysterectomy date of Sept 10. According to both drs, there is a 40% chance of finding cancer already being there when the pathology includes atypia but they won't know until the uterus is sent off for its own pathology.

Liz
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:00 PM

I had complex hyperplasia without atypia. I didn't have symptoms other than what I thought was normal perimenopause: I would have bleeding very intermittently--some months not at all, for as many as seven or eight months, then I'd get a month-long bout of spotting + bleeding, either constant or stopping for a day or two but starting back up. Or I'd bleed for two weeks, then not for three, then spot for two. I had pads and tampons with me wherever I went. I never knew when it was going to start up: I had none of the usual warning signs: cramping, bloating, etc.

When I went in for an HRT refill (I was already on HRT for a few years due to severe menopause symptoms), the nurse practitioner told me my situation was called "abnormal uterine bleeding" and I should have an ultrasound and endo biopsy. The ultrasound revealed a thickened endometrium, and the biopsy returned the hyperplasia diagnosis.

Next step, diagnostic D&C. Same diagnosis.

Choices:
1. Progestin (or progesterone) therapy and monitoring for progression to "with atypia," which proceeds to cancer in 40% of cases, or regression.
2. Hysterectomy

I opted for #2 because I'm scared of getting cancer, I'm 55 so won't be having any kids now, and I was already on progestin 10 days a month as part of my usual HRT meds. That last one kind of freaked me out because progestin is used to TREAT hyperplasia. How could I have hyperplasia if progestin treats it? Yikes.

The path report from my LAVH returned good news: no cancer in the uterus or cervix.
Unread 08-26-2013, 02:22 PM

I had hyperplasia with atypia. My sig says the rest.
Unread 08-26-2013, 03:20 PM

Yes I saw a GYN/oncologist. At first he was like don't worry your GYN can do it all and by the end if the appt he said he needed to be there to assist. I was also on progesterone and they always made sure I was getting enough because I was taking estrogen
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:09 PM

Same here! In my signature it says everything I had and what they found when I had the hyster....I'm sooo glad I had the surgery! I wish I would have had it done years ago! Good luck hugs
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:58 PM

Glad you seen a gyn/onc and yes, it's best that he at least be there to assist. That way, they can possibly do what they call a frozen section pathology while you are still under and if necessary do the lymph node testing/staging right then, rather than a 2nd surgery.

If I would have chosen to have my reg gyn do the surgery, I would have had to wait for pathology and then if cancer would have been found, I would have had to travel the 2 hours for staging surgery at a later date. I opted to go right there in the first place, be where they could do it all at once if necessary, as the thought of the possibility of a second surgery did not excite me in the least. Guess maybe it was my "umbrella" insurance policy. Like if you have an umbrella it won't rain. but if you don't have it, it will down pour? I was prepared and glad I didn't have to use it!

Take care and keep us updated on things!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register