Did I make the right decision? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did I make the right decision? Did I make the right decision?

Unread 10-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Did I make the right decision?

I am new here and very happy to have found this website. Peoples posts are so encouraging!

My hysterectomy has been scheduled for Nov 7, 2013. Im so happy and excited - but also doubting myself a little bit and Im hoping for affirmation that I made the right choice to have this procedure done.

I am 38 years old. We have three children who were all born via c-section. My last section had a tubal, which was Feb 2006. Never had problems with periods growing up or while we were having children. Dr told us that after the tubal my periods may get heavy for about a year, but should eventually go back to normal. Not the case! For the two years after my tubal I bled like crazy. Seven hospital visits, quit my job, couldnt leave the house, etc. It sucked. I had went to my dr quite a few times after the tubal and he basically just dismissed me. Said repeatedly that I was fine and just had to wait til my body went back to "normal" (whatever that means).

I opted for an endometrial ablation in 2009. At first things seemed to have gone well. No bleeding the first few months and I felt pretty good. Then out of no where, my periods brought with them extremely intense pain. I would vomit, faint, lose my hearing and sight temporarily, couldnt straighten out my body, migraines, you name it. It was like living a nightmare that never ended. My blood pressure decided to sky rocket as well.

I visited a few new doctors and found one I liked. She was like a hollistic type who recommended natural herbs and supplements, diet change and exercise. Why not, right? I gave this new life style a fighting chance, became a triathlete, cut out sugar, caffeine, junk in general and just decided to get as healthy as possible. PAIN never goes away. I will admit there have been a few months where I did ok, but most have been torture. I also can easily take 100 motrin during a period. Not good, I know. Then Im sick after my period because my body is beat up from so much ibuprofen! Eventually, although this doctor wasnt a surgeon, I knew deep down that a hysterectomy may be the only cure.

I researched doctors once again and found one we love. He did extensive testing and determined that my ablation surgery was a failure. There is a ton of scar tissue in my uterus. I have cavern like pockets within my uterus that I bleed into when I have my periods. The blood is trapped in there, it has no way to get out. I had a d&c done, which helped initially, but within months, I was back to the same old crap again. My uterus is badly scarred from ablation, three csections, 7 miscarriages and multiple d&c's. I have some endometriosis as well. My dr has met with my hubby and I many times over the last several years and hysterectomy has always been on the table. However, my dr said that he would do it only when I was ready. I wanted to explore all my options and I feel I have. Now, the time has come and I am scheduled. Im scared, of what Im not sure. My periods have controlled my life for years and I cant take the pain anymore. I also bleed and have pain when I ovulate too - Im so lucky!!!

My doctor will be taking my uterus, my fallopian tubes (Ive already had a tubal so they arent doing much accept collecting more scar tissue) and he thinks it best to remove my cervix. I have very conflcting thoughts on losing the cervix. I hear it helps provide support to other organs by leaving it, but I also hear that if you have it left, you can still get mini periods among other problems. I dont want my intimate life with my husband compromised and I hear that without a cervix, things feel a little different. I have no problem losing the uterus, im just scared about not making the right decision on the cervix.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear how others have made out. Thanks for reading!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Re: Did I make the right decision?

hi,

The cervix is the lower part of the uterus - whatever condition affects your uterus will also likely affect your cervix. So the way I looked at it was that in my case since my whole uterus had to come out it made no sense to leave the cervix behind. I also had zero interest in having a mini period.
I had my surgery because of cancer risk (genetics) and adenomyosis.

Clinical research does not show that prolapse is more likely without a cervix. For me, sex feels fine, in fact better than preop.

Good luck in whatever you decide
Unread 10-04-2013, 05:22 AM

Good morning! Thank you for your response. It certainly makes me feel better and I guess I never looked it in terms of whatever condition effects your uterus also affects your cervix. Thanks! Its great to get different perspectives :-) Have a great day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2013, 06:22 AM

I'm having mine in just over a week and they're going to take a view on the cervix. If it's ok to remove without bladder damage they will and I'm fine with it. Had treatment for pre cancer a few years ago, no more smears or mini periods. Why not I say. And I was in doubt but not now, more concern about keeping ovaries.

I cannot get my head around what you have been through. I've had a rubbish year with a big fibroid and I'm getting it out. Would not have wanted to do any longer with that pain and discomfort, no idea how you've managed with three kids!

You are superwoman. Best of luck x
Unread 10-04-2013, 07:31 AM

It is true that removing your cervix can cause some issues later like faller bladder, but those things are rare and you want to focus on the problems you have today. I think that having them remove the cervix is fine and you will be glad you did it. If your problem is periods you don't want to leave anything in there that has a chance of having the periods continue.
Unread 10-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Good morning sweetie! I had a TAH that took my cervix. I was initially going in for my ovary (left, right was removed in September 2006) because my CA-125's were high after they found 7 masses on it. I told my GYN/ONC the day of pre op that I wanted everything out. Since I wouldn't have ovaries to help "push' things along I didn't want any reason for future issues. She agreed. I'm now just over 10 weeks post op and LOVE my new life without periods, cramps, and tampons. My uterus and cervix were 100% normal! all of my issues lied within my ovaries and tubes. Sex for me is AMAZING post op, I can achieve my O with penetration alone. My hubby can't tell the difference in there, even though I can because my g-spot is now reachable! I'm loving it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register