Shrinking fibroids prior to TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Shrinking fibroids prior to TAH Shrinking fibroids prior to TAH

Unread 03-10-2005, 01:46 PM
Shrinking fibroids prior to TAH

I'm booked for a TAH in 5 weeks time. I have large fibroids which are very uncomfortable and have had bleeding problems for two years. I have been told that because of the size of the fibroids I will probably have to have a mid-line/vertical incision even though I already have a horizontal bikini-line caesarian scar. I wondered if anyone knows about or has any experience of treatments to shrink the fibroids prior to surgey?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 02:36 PM

Augustine,

I do not have personal experience but know many women get Lupron injections starting about 3 months prior to surgery to help shrink the fibroids. With 5 weeks to go I'm not sure there's much you can do. Is it possible you could ask your Dr. about Lupron and perhaps move your surgery date out?

About 6 weeks prior to my surgery I took a host of supplements to try and shrink my fibroids, but it didn't change anything. I read somewhere that that could take up to about 6 months for any results, but they are never guaranteed.

There's a thread in pre-op that discusses high-protein diet and it's relationship to fibroid growth that you'd probably find interesting. Eating meats and dairy with hormones added is known to cause tumors to grow. I ate only organic meats and dairy in the weeks prior to my surgery in an effort to keep my uterus from getting so large I'd end up with TAH instead of LSH.

You can click on "Search" above and type in "Lupron" to see related threads that may help you.

Good luck.

Linda
Unread 03-10-2005, 03:09 PM

I too, agree that 5 weeks doesnt seem to be enough time to shrink fibroids w/Lupron (your Dr. would be the best to ask, of course). I had 1 giant fibroid (cantelope size) that I was hoping would shrink with enzymes (read on a site about enzymes shrinking them). No luck--first month on them thought it was working, but, 2nd month the fibroid was just as big and I started major clotting. Put off having hyster for a few years, but gave in and am so happy I did.

My gyno did a TAH BSO w/ a horizontal incision w/o any problem. It was never even mentioned about a vertical incision.

Good Luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-10-2005, 03:15 PM

Of course, the entire incision issue depends on many factors. Size of uterus/fibroids is one consideration, but it also depends on what else is found when you go in for surgery.

I had been told that I would have two incisions -- a horizontal one for my panniculectomy and a vertical one for the hysterectomy. I would look like there was a "T" on my belly. I already had a vertical c-section scar, so I didn't much care.

I woke up and they had been able to do the surgery using just one (albeit very long) bikini-line horizontal incision.

I do not have experience with Lupron, either -- but I'm sure others who have had experience will come along and give you more information.
Unread 03-10-2005, 03:57 PM

I also had very large fibroids and my Dr told me that she would most likely have to be doing a vertical incision for my surgery because of uterus size, but when I woke up I was pleasantly suprised to find out she was able to do a bikini cut. I don't have experience with Lupron, but I don't think 5 weeks is long enough to shrink the fibroids. I have heard it is more like a 6 month course of injections monthly. If your uterus is so big that your Dr. thinks they will do a vertical incision, you will feel so much better after you get that removed. I know, I lived with mine in a very large state for two years before getting the courage to get the surgery and now I am sooooo glad I did! Now I just need to work on the tummy issue because it is like I had a baby and now just have a loose flabby tummy from it being stretched out for so long. Best wishes to you and let us know how your surgery goes!

Laura
Unread 03-10-2005, 03:58 PM

I did have Lupron - a three month injection. I agree that five weeks is probably not enough time to have Lupron.

My Lupron injection was to stop the bleeding and allow my blood count to rise - I was extremely anemic. I did, however, have one more period about one week after my injection which lasted ten days. That's why I would wonder about five weeks time.

Also, Lupron has many side effects. It worked well for me at the time, but many others have had serious side effects including bleeding from the time of the injection on. Now, I seem to have a pain the occurs from time to time in my right hip and it catches. I don't know if it related, but I do know that bone pain is a problem with Lupron. From what I have read about Lupron, it seems it saps the strength of the bone much like osteoporosis - but in a quicker fashion.

I think that all in all I was one of the lucky ones in my experience with Lupron. If you are able to have the surgery without the Lupron injection - even if you have to have a vertical incision - I would really consider skipping the Lupron, especially with what I have read about it. I had very little choice in the matter so I took my chances.

Best of luck for a great turn-out - I'm sure you will feel much better when it is all over. My prayers will be with you.

Blessings & s
Sallie
Unread 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM

Hi,
I had 20 week size fibroids including one that sat right on my bladder and impaired function and another pressing on my sciatic nerve. Like you, I was told that I would need a vertical incision because of the size of the fibroids, as well as due to the prolapse repairs I needed. I had 3 Lupron injections in the 3 months before surgery on 1/11. The Lupron did shrink my fibroids and I was able to have a bikini incision.
It also allowed me to get ahead of my horrible anemia. I did not have any particular side effects although I had little mini periods instead of the gigantic ones. Lupron is expensive - about $500 a shot - covered on my prescription insurance.
I don't know. I was aware of reduction in size almost immediately, but it was even more pronounced over time.
Like everyone else here, I'd say talk to your dr. about whether this is worth diong.
I will say, you won't believe how much better you feel with the fibroids out!

Best wishes,
Rev. Ladybug

TAH/BSO/A&P repair with mesh/other bladder repairs
Unread 03-10-2005, 05:32 PM
lupron and fibroid size

I had lupron shots for 6 months-one a month a year and a half before surgery. I was doing that to see if I could avoid a hysterectomy. The idea was that my fibroids would shrink enough to stop the pain and problems, then I would start menopause and things would be hunky dory! (I was in my 50's).

It worked really well-they shrunk so that my 16 week size uterus went down to a 8 week size uterus. Within a year it was back up to a 16 week size again, and no menopause in sight.
I had no side effects, no problems nothing. I had no periods, no hot flashes, no memory problems.

If you really don't want that incision, please get a second opinion-you could always postphone your surgery and try the other options to see if you can shrink them enough.

I also think there are other surgeons that say they can remove any size fibroids with other types of surgeries. I don't know about any of it, just what I have read on the internet and this site.

My sisterinlaw has a vertical incision and she said it doesn't bother her at all-she is in her 40's and wasn't planning on wearing anything that would show her middle anyhow.

Whatever you decide-best of luck to you
Unread 03-17-2005, 10:24 AM
Hoping Lupron works.

Sallie76,

I am scheduled to start my Lupron shots at the beginning of April. I asked to start then because I didn't want to deal with the possible side effects while on vacation in 1 week. After reading your post, I'm glad I did. Didn't want Aunt Flo' while in Hawaii. I'm hoping it shrinks my fibroids. I don't want to have a vertical incision!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register